Mountain Bear hunting gear

jbogg

I just can't see myself using a saddle. I love the weight, but it just doesn't seem practical to my preferred style of hunting. To each his own I guess. I sure hope you slay them though!

I understand. There is now way I could sit comfortably in a minimalist saddle. The JX 3 is called the Hybrid for a reason. It has a full length firm backrest with a seat like the Millenniums. You can literally sit all day comfortably if you wanted to. I hunted out of a tree lounge for 15 years, and then a summit Goliath for 10 Years. It’s a good compromise between a traditional saddle and a climber, and light enough to carry up a mountain. Lastly, you can shoot 360 degrees around the tree since you can pivot so easily. I have spoken with the developer several times and he really thought of everything. Check out the YouTube videos.

Tio Hey Seuss

10-4. I’m not sure where you live, but it might pay to check with Alexander’s in Blairsville for a Summit Viper. They usually sell the aluminum version for about $200. I’ve got a couple.

Also, a forum member just PMd a lone wolf he is wanting to sell, I’ll send it to you in case you’re interested in that one.
Thanks for the heads up. That stand gobblinginthewoods is selling looks like deal but I've exhausted my hunting funds on boots and a new pack frame this year. Stone Glacier x curve frame and Lathrop and Son's boots! If I spend any more I'll have to take my wife to the beach to make up for it ?

splatek

UAEC
I understand. There is now way I could sit comfortably in a minimalist saddle. The JX 3 is called the Hybrid for a reason. It has a full length firm backrest with a seat like the Millenniums. You can literally sit all day comfortably if you wanted to. I hunted out of a tree lounge for 15 years, and then a summit Goliath for 10 Years. It’s a good compromise between a traditional saddle and a climber, and light enough to carry up a mountain. Lastly, you can shoot 360 degrees around the tree since you can pivot so easily. I have spoken with the developer several times and he really thought of everything. Check out the YouTube videos.

Jbogg: That thing looks amazing! I sure do think it would take some getting used to, but you mention using a lone wolf hand climber modified as a foot climber(?) - is that something that you invented, or is there a vid for that...? Sounds super portable and light.

Also, it seems to be out of stock right now. FYI, for anyone looking to drop the dough!

tree cutter 08

I just got done modifying my old trophy line tree saddle. I've had it for 15 years but never really hunted out of it a ton since it wasn't the most comfortable thing. I think my mod will make it comfy for at least half day sits. By the time I walk up to a tree I can climb,setup and be hunting in less than 5 mins.

jbogg

Jbogg: That thing looks amazing! I sure do think it would take some getting used to, but you mention using a lone wolf hand climber modified as a foot climber(?) - is that something that you invented, or is there a vid for that...? Sounds super portable and light.

Also, it seems to be out of stock right now. FYI, for anyone looking to drop the dough!

The LoneWolf Handclimber used as a foot climber in conjunction with a saddle is practiced by a fair number of Saddle Hunters. For all you would ever want to know about it including videos go to saddlehunter.com.

jbogg

I just got done modifying my old trophy line tree saddle. I've had it for 15 years but never really hunted out of it a ton since it wasn't the most comfortable thing. I think my mod will make it comfy for at least half day sits. By the time I walk up to a tree I can climb,setup and be hunting in less than 5 mins.

I really like how fast I can be hunting as well. What mod did you make to improve comfort?

tree cutter 08

I really like how fast I can be hunting as well. What mod did you make to improve comfort?
Took a board and fastened a cushion to it then put it in the bottom of the saddle web. It feels good, more like a suspended chair. It don't pinch and close up now. Same concept that saddles have designed for crane and suspension work.

Ghost G

Does anyone besides me carry a personal locator beacon? Worth every penny, I think.

Yes a Garmin In Reach. The wife made me do it. She should have just purchased more life insurance on me. ;)

Ghost G

I've got a Tree Saddle, and would love to see your mod.

Chestnut

tons of good inf thanks , if or when you shoot a bear When do you field dress the animals,, see pictures of dead bear in trucks z( look to be not dress) ???
good luck to all and thanks for any info steve

WoodlandScout82

So we're just 2 weeks out! I took advantage of a labor day sale and got a nice water bottle for $14.99 to finish out my kit with. I also did some "Rattle can camo" on some of my gear. I know it's excessive and unnecessary, but it keeps me busy and focused.

Attachments

• received_1687350308066752.jpeg
    received_1687350308066752.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 31
  • received_497675407714210.jpeg
    received_497675407714210.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 32
  • received_421817445109463.jpeg
    received_421817445109463.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 31

splatek

UAEC
So we're just 2 weeks out! I took advantage of a labor day sale and got a nice water bottle for $14.99 to finish out my kit with. I also did some "Rattle can camo" on some of my gear. I know it's excessive and unnecessary, but it keeps me busy and focused.

Man those RTIC bottles are great; got a store near me and they have 50, 70, sometimes even 80% off sales, randomly. At 4th of July, they were practically giving stuff away, I got a ton of stuff including a big old cooler in hopes that I'll be filling it with some meat this season. HAHA.

My gear setup doesn't look quite as refined as some of y'alls', but I think like what I found in fishing, that the more I do it, the more I realize what I really need and what I really don't. My fishing setup has been stripped down to a collapsible eagle claw that can throw flies or spinners; handful of flies; 1-2 spinners; shot, bobber, hook. Can always dig for live bait.

Anyhow, here's my setup for the first day, subject to change with experience.

Snake boots, tarp, summit climber, hiking pole (maybe), xtra strength trash bags/gloves, paracord, first aid kit (benadryl, wound cream, tweezers, etc), protein bar, map, compass, mosquito defense, flashlight, sitdrag, camo facemask, wind up flashlight, camping stove, lighter (I'll probably keep a can of gas and some MREs at camp), battery charger, waterproof matches, old bag, axe (likely won't hike out with me, but for camp wood),

Inside that little front fanny pack: extra knife and extra scalpel blades for my primary knife, crossbow cocking string, extra flashlight, water tabs, crossbow/bow string wax, rail lube.

IMG_0438.jpg

This is how it might all look on my back on the hike in.... Still playing with this.
Not shown is camping gear: Hammock, accessories, if I go that route and Toilet Paper/Paper Towels; orange vest. And don't criticize my gear please: that bow (Diamond Archery Provider) and that crossbow (Bear X) were both free. I will probably upgrade eventually, but for now, they oughtta do the trick.

IMG_0441.jpgIMG_0442.jpg

I am open to suggestions for making things easier, etc.

jbogg

Man those RTIC bottles are great; got a store near me and they have 50, 70, sometimes even 80% off sales, randomly. At 4th of July, they were practically giving stuff away, I got a ton of stuff including a big old cooler in hopes that I'll be filling it with some meat this season. HAHA.

My gear setup doesn't look quite as refined as some of y'alls', but I think like what I found in fishing, that the more I do it, the more I realize what I really need and what I really don't. My fishing setup has been stripped down to a collapsible eagle claw that can throw flies or spinners; handful of flies; 1-2 spinners; shot, bobber, hook. Can always dig for live bait.

Anyhow, here's my setup for the first day, subject to change with experience.

Snake boots, tarp, summit climber, hiking pole (maybe), xtra strength trash bags/gloves, paracord, first aid kit (benadryl, wound cream, tweezers, etc), protein bar, map, compass, mosquito defense, flashlight, sitdrag, camo facemask, wind up flashlight, camping stove, lighter (I'll probably keep a can of gas and some MREs at camp), battery charger, waterproof matches, old bag, axe (likely won't hike out with me, but for camp wood),

Inside that little front fanny pack: extra knife and extra scalpel blades for my primary knife, crossbow cocking string, extra flashlight, water tabs, crossbow/bow string wax, rail lube.

View attachment 982702

This is how it might all look on my back on the hike in.... Still playing with this.
Not shown is camping gear: Hammock, accessories, if I go that route and Toilet Paper/Paper Towels; orange vest. And don't criticize my gear please: that bow (Diamond Archery Provider) and that crossbow (Bear X) were both free. I will probably upgrade eventually, but for now, they oughtta do the trick.

View attachment 982703View attachment 982704

I am open to suggestions for making things easier, etc.

Your gear list looks pretty complete. I carried my Summit Goliath once last year and cussed myself all the way in to my spot and all the way back to the truck. Told my buddy that if he ever heard me mention carrying my climber again to just shoot me ahead of time and put me out of my misery.

Rabun

Last few years i've been setting a climber in an active area and leave it. Hunt it and do a lot of still hunting as conditions vary. I can't haul a stand around much anymore.