Mountain boots

twincedargap

Walking out in the dark from a hunt, I almost stepped on a rattler on Blood Mountain in the middle of the trail approaching a rocky section. The trail got rocky and technical so I had to turn on a flashlight, and there he was 3' in front of me, I guess planning on soaking heat off the rocks.

freeman trail rattle snake.JPG

After seeing and feeling how light weight JBogg's irish Setters were I picked up a pair. They are also taller, and thus water proof higher up than traditional hiking boots if that matters to you and where you hunt. I will say, they are a tad hotter at calf level than a normal boot. But, if your seeking snake proof in some food plot edges, and water proof for deep creek crossings, they're the bomb.

Last edited:

Limbhanger2881

I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns that I hunted these mountains in for 6 or 7 years before they started to leak. Very light, very comfortable, very durable.

I replaced them with Meindl boots from Germany. I think I hunted out of them for 6 years before the sole came off of one. I loved those boots. Best boots I ever had. Now Cabelas no longer carries them, and unless I want to buy directly from Germany, I'm out of luck.

I currently have a pair of Danner Highgrounds. They're like wearing sneakers. Ridiculously lightweight and completely waterproof. Great boot for early season trekking in the mountains.

I'm either going to replace those Meindl's with a different model from the same company, or I might look at Kenetrek. I've heard good things about them.

Also, there's no way I'd attempt to hunt the mountains in rubber boots or snake boots. Too heavy, too hot, and very uncomfortable. Walking 100 yards and sitting in a treestand is one thing. But actually hiking in the mountains requires good support and comfortable fit if you don't want to be hobbling back to the truck.

I use kenetrek they are awesome. I have had two pairs. However, I lived out west and a good boot is a must. Especially covering 25 miles a day. They also have the support to side hill and do a fantastic job with a 100lb pack on your back. Schnees and crispis are great boots too.

jbogg

Some of these ridge tops are covered in waist high undergrowth. If I can’t see my feet, I can’t see the snakes. I know two people who were bit by a copperhead’s after unknowingly stepping on them. I’m guessing a timber rattler would react the same way after getting stepped on. I wear my seatbelt, safety harness, and have homeowners Insurance as well. Statistically I’m not likely to require any of them, but sure glad they are there. I will wear the snake boots every time.
EC1C0DFD-1774-4F45-AF4F-452A6F5A568A.jpeg9F4A987F-6DD1-41A1-A3C5-22812532B6C0.jpeg

Buckman18

Some of these ridge tops are covered in waist high undergrowth. If I can’t see my feet, I can’t see the snakes. I know two people who were bit by a copperhead’s after unknowingly stepping on them. I’m guessing a timber rattler would react the same way after getting stepped on. I wear my seatbelt, safety harness, and have homeowners Insurance as well. Statistically I’m not likely to require any of them, but sure glad they are there. I will wear the snake boots every time.
View attachment 974375View attachment 974376

I’m digging the shirt! :cheers:

I’ve been walking through that stuff and get hit on the ankle/shin by yellow jackets and about freak out thinking it was a snake. Killer Kyle didn’t even get stung once!

jbogg

I’m digging the shirt! :cheers:

I’ve been walking through that stuff and get hit on the ankle/shin by yellow jackets and about freak out thinking it was a snake. Killer Kyle didn’t even get stung once!

Usually the first guy just makes them mad and the second guy gets stung. Killer Kyle can confirm that as well.

CowetaLonghorn

I was at the Cabelas in Ft Worth several years ago and came across a pair of Danner High Grounds for $89.99. Tried them on and said I’ll take them. The sales rep was boxing them up and said “Sorry sir but there’s been a mistake. These actually aren’t on sale. Somebody must’ve misplaced them.” Regular price they were $189.99. After a short conversation they sold them to me for the advertised price of $89.99. I have put prob 1000 miles on them between Smoky Mountain National Park, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Grand Canyon, Olympic, and Rocky Mountain National Parks. Those plus side hilling on Coopers Creek WMA every year. No complaints with the results. Would like to have metal eyelets on top of the foot but otherwise I’ll buy again.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I was at the Cabelas in Ft Worth several years ago and came across a pair of Danner High Grounds for $89.99. Tried them on and said I’ll take them. The sales rep was boxing them up and said “Sorry sir but there’s been a mistake. These actually aren’t on sale. Somebody must’ve misplaced them.” Regular price they were $189.99. After a short conversation they sold them to me for the advertised price of $89.99. I have put prob 1000 miles on them between Smoky Mountain National Park, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Grand Canyon, Olympic, and Rocky Mountain National Parks. Those plus side hilling on Coopers Creek WMA every year. No complaints with the results. Would like to have metal eyelets on top of the foot but otherwise I’ll buy again.
I've got a pair of High Grounds too. I like the feel and the light weight of them, but unlike the Pronghorns I've had, they wear a blister on the outside of my little toe if I spend a lot of time going downhill. I did 13 miles in them one day and my toe was bleeding for a week.

Ghost G

I've got a pair of High Grounds too. I like the feel and the light weight of them, but unlike the Pronghorns I've had, they wear a blister on the outside of my little toe if I spend a lot of time going downhill. I did 13 miles in them one day and my toe was bleeding for a week.

I've had that happen and I either add another thin sock or it's time for a new insole. For me it's an indication the boot is slightly to big.

D

Deleted member 35556

I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns that I hunted these mountains in for 6 or 7 years before they started to leak. Very light, very comfortable, very durable.

I replaced them with Meindl boots from Germany. I think I hunted out of them for 6 years before the sole came off of one. I loved those boots. Best boots I ever had. Now Cabelas no longer carries them, and unless I want to buy directly from Germany, I'm out of luck.

I currently have a pair of Danner Highgrounds. They're like wearing sneakers. Ridiculously lightweight and completely waterproof. Great boot for early season trekking in the mountains.

I'm either going to replace those Meindl's with a different model from the same company, or I might look at Kenetrek. I've heard good things about them.

Also, there's no way I'd attempt to hunt the mountains in rubber boots or snake boots. Too heavy, too hot, and very uncomfortable. Walking 100 yards and sitting in a treestand is one thing. But actually hiking in the mountains requires good support and comfortable fit if you don't want to be hobbling back to the truck.

I've got a set of Danner Pronghorns that are on year three. They are dedicated hunting/hiking boots. I wasn't expecting to get so much life out of them, but i've been pleasantly surprised by their durability. They're not the best side-hilling mountain boots, but they get the job done with comfort and they stay dry.

splatek

UAEC
I am in JBoggs Camp here: I know a bit about snakes and have read several times that they won't expel venom on something that's not prey, because of energy production to make more and refill their sacs. I've also read they might only expel venom from one of the sacs. Well that's all well and good, but I'd rather not test that hypothesis on my shins or calves. So I wear a seatbelt, have insurance, and wear snake boots. I've got a pair of knee high snake boots, Danner, for when I am trekking around the mountains. They have a good sole for gripping, and I think the sole is still rubber so it doubles as both good snake boot and aggressive sole.

Buckman18

The older I get, the more im wearing snake boots, or at least packing them and changing into them when I get off the beaten path. There are a couple more, but here are a few of the reasons why, this is since the middle of August scouting and also into bow season in the mountains:
20190902_135939.jpg
20191021_084947.jpg
20191021_085143.jpg
20191004_104523.jpg20191021_083729.jpg
20191021_083817.jpg

Last edited:

tree cutter 08

Anybody run the kenetrek boots? Been wearing the highgrounds but only getting around 1 season out of them. Pair I've got now probably only has a month left. Like the light weight and comfort but feel like they are lacking something. Probably a little stability. My feet get tender after several miles in them.

Joe Brandon

Heath

Anybody run the kenetrek boots? Been wearing the highgrounds but only getting around 1 season out of them. Pair I've got now probably only has a month left. Like the light weight and comfort but feel like they are lacking something. Probably a little stability. My feet get tender after several miles in them.

Yes, they are nice. Got 3 pairs to rotate and slow down wear. I will never own anything else again as long as they maintain the quality of boot they have now. I destroy a pair off boots every year. Blow the soles off or slam a pinky toe out the side when it just falls apart. Havnt had a Danner last over a year in 11 years, yet I kept buying them. These Kenetreks are far better built and offer more rigidity and support. The first pair of Mountain Guides I bought are about to start their 3rd year. They look like they will have no problem making it to spring.