Moving to the stand...strategies

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I hunt climbers exclusively. I hunt a lease that has heavy hunting pressure. I think I am pretty good at picking stand locations. I see a lot of deer. Almost always it is a couple of hours after I have been in the stand before i see them. I am beginning to believe that i have an unusual ability to spook deer on the way to my stand. I know that many hunters make trails that lead to the stand. and i agree that is great, but if I made a trail to my climbers and every time I move them, then I think that I will be spooking the deer more than it is worth?

I have a bunch of pre-positioned climbers and i pick my hunts based off wind...I almost always move with wind in my face and with wind advantage for my "kill zone". I try to avoid feeding areas on my way to the stand.

Is there anything you guys do, strategies for moving to the stand?

I am hunting AL, post rut right now, so I need every advantage i can get. Thanks for suggestions.

Jim Boyd

I can spook deer with the best of them, too - but I see (and hear) deer all the time in early morning hours.

I wonder if maybe the stand position(s) are not taking advantage of the early morning feed to bed patterns?

I am sure lots of good thoughts will come forward.

swamp hunter

Their you go !
Fool um , Bring a Picnic basket and a pretty Gal , Wear Tennis shoes and tote a blanket.
Maybe a Skidder and 4 miles of marking tape....

dtala

are you making significant noise when climbing?

I have used loc-ons over the years, and cleaned the trail for the last 75 yards or so. I see deer as soon as I get in the stand a lot, so I know I'm not spooking deer approaching or climbing the sticks to my stand.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
If your constantly seeing deer 2 hours after you arrive. Then try arriving an hour and a half late......if you see deer in 30 minutes then it's not you