Mushroom I.D.

Jimmypop

I walked up on these this a.m. in a pine thicket. Both very small. Are they edible ? What are they called ?

Attachments

• 1013180946.jpg
    1013180946.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1013180944a.jpg
    1013180944a.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 51
I'm new to this, but you are looking in the wrong direction. There are SO many fungus, you have to look for the few you can eat. I don't believe either is a common edible mushroom. I avoid anything with a true gill structure.

Eidolon

They are both *possibly* edible amanita Jacksonii, but a mistake in that regard could kill you. It's not something to work out on the internet. You have to have a teacher, an expert, regarding many mushrooms in this area. I have studied mushrooms for a couple of years now, and I wouldn't *consider* tasting those...

treemanjohn

Banned
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In most cases, except for a few really distinctive species, it is virtually impossible to positively ID a mushroom just from an overall picture of it. Often, you need to examine the gills and their type of attachment to the stem, the annulus or lack of, how it comes from the ground, spore prints; and in many cases, testing reaction of the tissue to ammonia or other chemicals, or even examining the spores under a microscope to make an absolute positive ID. There are literally thousands of species of mushrooms out there, and many of the groups are really hard to sort into species.

From what I can see, those both look like they are in the Amanita genus, which contains most of the world's deadliest mushrooms that cause the vast majority of deaths. It also contains some edible species, but why take that risk?

I have studied mushrooms intently for about thirty years, and collect them and study them and eat them. I find them fascinating, and am more amazed the more I learn about their role in the overall health of the woods, and some of the things they are capable of. I have a bookshelf full of well-used field guides and keys. I have been fortunate to be able to go into the woods with and learn from some experts like Dr. Eileen Clark and Trad Cotter. There are many species of mushrooms that I can ID from a distance in the woods. But there is no way I would eat any Amanita, regardless of its purported edibility.

When collecting mushrooms to eat, I usually stick with a few tried-and true species that are easy to identify, taste good enough to be worth the effort of collecting them, and that I am personally very familiar with:
Morels, a few species of chanterelles, a few species of Lactarius, a couple of Russulas, chicken of the woods, hedgehogs, puffballs, oysters, lobsters, a few of the Boletes.Suillus, etc. I also grow shiitakes, oysters, and such.

Jeff Raines

I met Trad a few weeks ago at a mushroom festival,bought some plugs from him

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I met Trad a few weeks ago at a mushroom festival,bought some plugs from him
Trad is an amazing, scary-smart guy who really knows his stuff. He is doing a lot of research and experimenting with fungi, and may discover some pretty amazing things before it's over with.