**Must Watch** Turkey hunter shot on film

Jack Ryan

Guy probably needs one of those 60 or maybe a 80 yard turkey gun. He's just that good.

Johnny 71

Junebug
It looked to me like the fan was flat on the ground beside him the whole time, I can't find fault with the three guys hunting, all the fault belongs to the shooter, jmho

Gut_Pile

In the comments on youtube the guy who was shot said he took 5 pellets to the butt/leg.

gopro footage makes the guy look a lot further away than he was. I'm guessing he was within 40 yards.

bdavisbdavis727

I was hunting private land my family owns that has a big field within clear sight of a paved road that turkeys are always in this time of year. I had a Jake decoy out with a real fan on it and 2 hen decoys. A white dodge drove by behind us slowly and I knew they had seen the decoys. Less than a minute later the same truck came back with a rifle out the passenger side. I jumped up waving my arms and they hit the gas.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The three men in Fort Turkey did nothing wrong. It was the idiot who shot amongst them that was clearly at fault. But a tangential observation: Three men hunting together, granted one was a videographer? Counting the man (Jack?) who shot which adds up to four; I have been on successful dove hunts with as few as four hunters. Whatever happened to turkey hunting as a solitary sport? One man; one gun. I remember an old Ben Lee audio tape when he talked about hunting with his dad. They'd stand together and hear a bird. "Ben, there's one too many of us here." That was the hint. Ben would leave and look for a bird. It seems like I more often see more than one hunter in a truck these days in the woods. I don't believe one is dropped off. Seems to be a change in how birds are pursued. I enjoy the comaraderie of a dove hunt and taking someone along with me behind my bird dogs. I enjoy talking to my turkey hunting buddies during the season, but when the truck heads out pre-dawn, there is one person in it. For turkeys, nothing suits me more than to be by myself in a turkey woods. Just my two cents. Gil

Last edited:

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
The three men in Fort Turkey did nothing wrong. It was the idiot who shot amongst them that was clearly at fault. But a tangential observation: Three men hunting together, granted one was a videographer? Counting the man (Jack?) who shot which adds up to four; I have been on successful dove hunts with as few as four hunters. Whatever happened to turkey hunting as a solitary sport? One man; one gun. I remember an old Ben Lee audio tape when he talked about hunting with his dad. They'd stand together and hear a bird. "Ben, there's one too many of us here." That was the hint. Ben would leave and look for a bird. It seems like I more often see more than one hunter in a truck these days in the woods. I don't believe one is dropped off. Seems to be a change in how birds are pursued. I enjoy the comaraderie of a dove hunt and taking someone along with me behind my bird dogs. I enjoy talking to my turkey hunting buddies during the season, but when the truck heads out pre-dawn, there is one person in it. For turkeys, nothing suits me more than to be by myself in a turkey woods. Just my two cents. Gil

''Fort Turkey'' - I like that, pretty good line! Gil, I also agree with your assessment of how turkey hunting has for many people strayed from it's roots and traditions, evolving into some sort of loose tag team type of pursuit. Just like this season, about once a year I'll do a little walking and calling with someone after prime morning hours are over but I still firmly believe that turkey hunting is a one man game and is best enjoyed that way.

Gut_Pile

Gil, while I do completely respect and understand your opinion on chasing gobblers solo, I tend to lean to the side of enjoying the sport more with friend of relative in tow.

Very rarely do I hunt turkeys alone, unless I really need one killed. I love being able to tell my buddy "I see him", us both working a gobbler, and then the bone crushing high five after one of us connects on such a magnificent animal.

Though not usually my case, I think you see groups hunting together more often because one of the four actually knows what he/she is doing, while the other three do not have a clue.

Reminex

My first thought was the white I phone was the intended target. It might have been hanging out a pocket. Makes me want to steer clear of fence lines as well.

Bo D

The guys that got shot at were all too darn casual and NICE to say the least if you know what l mean, you shoot my dad wife brother or child l would be hollering my head off lookin down the barrel of my gun unless l saw them cease fire and I truly believe the guy that shot actually thought about getting out of there for a few seconds because he don't show himself for a while.
Ive made it a point that when l hunt public land l pull out a blaze orange strip bout 20" x 3" and let it hang on my back it pulls out of vest.
Id make it mandatory or a blaze orange stripe on back of a hat...

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
The law needs to be changed. If someone is stupid enough to not be able to properly identify their target before firing it should be legal to return fire with lethal intent. :pop:

Certain gene pools just need terminating.

deuce1

It seems to me the shot came from the front. The load went between the two guys with a few pellets striking him in the butt cheek. If you look close to the right of the big oak you can see a dust cloud from where the majority of the load hit on the fence line. Either way it is very dangerous in the woods when guns are in the hands of people who don't clearly identify their target. These guys are very bless not to have been hit worse.

Sumter

It seems to me the shot came from the front. The load went between the two guys with a few pellets striking him in the butt cheek. If you look close to the right of the big oak you can see a dust cloud from where the majority of the load hit on the fence line. Either way it is very dangerous in the woods when guns are in the hands of people who don't clearly identify their target. These guys are very bless not to have been hit worse.

that would be the muzzle blast

Gut_Pile

The shot came from behind them. If you watch until the end, you'll see the guy come up to the fence back behind them

Northwestretriever

Good grief facepalm:

deuce1

My bad I watched it this morning on the computer(full screen) and all the way to the end. Either way it is a terrible situation and they are very blessed not to have been seriously injured. The guy that come to the fence that shot he did not identify his target for sure! Anyway God Bless and Good Hunting AND BE SAFE!!!