Muzzleloader for turkey hunting?

Any thoughts on muzzleloader hunting turkeys, anyone know what kind of regulations are with that and if it has to be a muzzleloader with shot it sabot slug?

The mtn man

Yep, in GA you can snipe them at 200 yards with a muzzle loader, no need for a fan or reap or what ever the kids are doing these days.

Toddmann

I have a shotgun muzzleloader I have yet to use. May break it out this spring. Need to work up a TSS load for it or maybe pull some #7 Fed Hvywt pellets out of some 12ga shells and use that shot to make up a load. Anyone have any recipes for a shotgun muzzleloader using TSS or Fed Hvywt #7 shot?

The mtn man

I have a shotgun muzzleloader I have yet to use. May break it out this spring. Need to work up a TSS load for it or maybe pull some #7 Fed Hvywt pellets out of some 12ga shells and use that shot to make up a load. Anyone have any recipes for a shotgun muzzleloader using TSS or Fed Hvywt #7 shot?

That would be some fun!!!!

I mainly want to use mine in a property I hunt that is ate up with hogs and yotes. I'd rather have something to kill a turkey and have a chance at other vermin. It's not sensible to shoot a 150 lb hog with #5 shot. Any day of the week if kill a yote or hog over a gobbler. One yote kill could save numerous turkeys in the long run

01Foreman400

Staff member
I mainly want to use mine in a property I hunt that is ate up with hogs and yotes. I'd rather have something to kill a turkey and have a chance at other vermin. It's not sensible to shoot a 150 lb hog with #5 shot. Any day of the week if kill a yote or hog over a gobbler. One yote kill could save numerous turkeys in the long run

Nothing wrong with that.

I hate to tell you fellas but muzzleloading turkeys is a girls' sport.
Really.
http://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10559&p=113668&hilit=muzzleloader#p113668

IF you read the article correct those are shotgun muzzleloaders that they loaded with TSS shot. not an easy feat by any means. And if it WAS a "girls sport" than i guess every single one of our ancestors and pioneers were "girls" because back then there were no super mag 870's with #5s with a sophisticated choke system. Nor were there compound bows that have breakneck speeds at 60 yards.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
IF you read the article correct those are shotgun muzzleloaders that they loaded with TSS shot. not an easy feat by any means. And if it WAS a "girls sport" than i guess every single one of our ancestors and pioneers were "girls" because back then there were no super mag 870's with #5s with a sophisticated choke system. Nor were there compound bows that have breakneck speeds at 60 yards.
I guess you didn't get the joke.

Bubba_1122

Should send a PM to Hawglips and see if he has any recipes for muzzleloaders.

If he does, if you buy your TSS from him he'll share the data (and I don't know where else you'd buy it).

He's been real helpful in getting me up to speed as I loaded and patterned my shotgun.