my calling is crap!

Larry Young Jr

[QUOTE="spurrs and racks, post: I got one bird that I have been on a quest for long time..... I treat every turkey like that.... LOL(y)(y)(y)

[/QUOTE]

tad1

man I'm really needing a lonely 2 year old bird to get my confidence back as well. Times I wish I never would have started turkey hunting...........
Well, the one thing its good for is a bit of exercise anyway!

Bubba_1122

That's another, hearing, I can''t hear like I could years ago.
Took a hard fall in the woods last year. Ended up losing most of the hearing in my left ear (and very fortunate that's all I lost after falling 3 months after spinal surgery).

Now have one hearing aid in that ear. When I'm hunting I turn that left ear up real loud and almost feel like it works in my favor (course, ain't heard nothing gobble lately and it ain't because of my hearing ability).

Anyway that's sorta my bionic ear.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I got in a fight with a hen using a mouth call and it was the time of my life! Brought her in to about 10 yards. She left and got about another 10 - 15 yards away and some squeeking noises out of my mouth brought her back in, again.
Make sounds and you not only are on the right track, but I guarantee you you sound better than you think!!
Still after my first bird, but I have found that Less is more.........like everyone says.

But sometimes, just start cranking it up! Go nuts with it and be as loud as you can!
Not only does it let out some frustration for the hunter, it just might provoke some curiosity out of the bird you seek! First gobbler I brought within Seeing distance was done like this........I thought he had left after being hung up about 100 yards away. Of course when he blasted off about 20 yards away, I moved and got busted, again.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Funny group we are...you can sound just like a hen cutn and cluckn with a stick and a rock. Hitn the rock with the stick. Least that's how I hear em in the echo chamber of the river bottoms.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I got in a fight with a hen using a mouth call and it was the time of my life! Brought her in to about 10 yards. She left and got about another 10 - 15 yards away and some squeeking noises out of my mouth brought her back in, again.
Make sounds and you not only are on the right track, but I guarantee you you sound better than you think!!
Still after my first bird, but I have found that Less is more.........like everyone says.

But sometimes, just start cranking it up! Go nuts with it and be as loud as you can!
Not only does it let out some frustration for the hunter, it just might provoke some curiosity out of the bird you seek! First gobbler I brought within Seeing distance was done like this........I thought he had left after being hung up about 100 yards away. Of course when he blasted off about 20 yards away, I moved and got busted, again.

For the last 2 weeks, nearly every morning I`m in a particular section of swamp, I get in a verbal knife fight with a small nearly black hen. She`s old, and reminds me of the turkeys that we used to hunt back in the early 1960s down in the Oconee River swamp at the home place. You`d think a gobbler would come to see what all the scrap was about. I`m starting to think though, that she`s telling them to go the other way.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
And you know calling is a small fraction of it. Turkey noises tell turkeys where you are. Problem is they forget every note in 2 hours.

WOW! I'm gonna agree with Ironhead on this 100 percent!
Killin gobblers has so little to do with how good you are at calling it aint funny.
The key is the set up decisions you make after you hear him calling.
Get yourself in a good position, imitate a turkey sound and kill that gobbler buddy.
I love to hear the world championship turkey callin on Youtube, But all you need to kill a gobbler is... yelp yelp yelp.......yelp yelp yelp yelp. In any form or fashiom from any call delivery method.
Good luck and don't quit huntin him till yer boot's on his neck!

chrislibby88

I’ve called in several hens and they came in cutting like crazy making all kinda racket, I’ve semi spooked a hen in the woods, and she didn’t know what I was and she started cutting and pacing back and forth for 15 minutes straight. Called in a hen the other day and she was letting out the worst sounding deep yelps at an awful slow cadence. I thought she was a jake until I saw her. Turkeys make all kinda awful sounding calls. I think making the right types of calls at the right time make the difference, not the quality of the sound. I don’t know much, and rate my calling skills pretty low but I’ve fooled a few birds this season.

chrislibby88

Funny group we are...you can sound just like a hen cutn and cluckn with a stick and a rock. Hitn the rock with the stick. Least that's how I hear em in the echo chamber of the river bottoms.
I always thought they kinda sounded like someone slapping two boards together in the woods. First cut from a live turkey I ever heard was a few hundred yards from some construction. Dudes were wracking nails with hammers almost non stop. She came out on me at 10 yards in the woods and I could barely tell her cuts from the hammering. It was LOUD.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
And a little leaf scratching goes a long way for me. Probally my best call, that and silence.
It's the real foolproof call. Unless they wet. lol. I hate wet mornings. I'm gonna leave the calls in the truck one day and use leaves only, or river cane on site. lol

XIronheadX

Took a hard fall in the woods last year. Ended up losing most of the hearing in my left ear (and very fortunate that's all I lost after falling 3 months after spinal surgery).

Now have one hearing aid in that ear. When I'm hunting I turn that left ear up real loud and almost feel like it works in my favor (course, ain't heard nothing gobble lately and it ain't because of my hearing ability).

Anyway that's sorta my bionic ear.
I busted my can last year too, Bubba. I ended up ok after a few weeks of limping misery with a black forearm, hand, and wrist. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and glad to see you back at it.

J3Holt

I cant call for crap but somehow got mine to come in. (My First) My slate got wet (from my gloves, it was foggy and drizzling a little, I was careful to keep it in my bag, but in the excitement I grabbed it with wet gloves.) and I let out the most God awful top end Yelp turned cluck turned purr. But he still hammered, so whatever that was I meant to do it :)

Seems like for most of them if it sounds Turkyish and looks turkeyish, it's a Turkey.

XIronheadX

I cant call for crap but somehow got mine to come in. (My First) My slate got wet (from my gloves, it was foggy and drizzling a little, I was careful to keep it in my bag, but in the excitement I grabbed it with wet gloves.) and I let out the most God awful top end Yelp turned cluck turned purr. But he still hammered, so whatever that was I meant to do it :)

Seems like for most of them if it sounds Turkyish and looks turkeyish, it's a Turkey.
Carry a lighter. Dries in seconds.

Mark K

Banned
If you’ve watched any TV hunting shows you’ll notice a turkey will come in to just about any sound that’s somewhere between a 1-10 on sounding remotely like a turkey.

XIronheadX

If you’ve watched any TV hunting shows you’ll notice a turkey will come in to just about any sound that’s somewhere between a 1-10 on sounding remotely like a turkey.
True Mark. Unless you are hitting a note that means RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! lol. I think I hit that one a lot. I can't watch anything but Pinhoti's youtube channel anymore. One of the Missouri brothers came to a cabin we hung out at in the 90's in the eastern part of the state on a few occasions. He'd bring in a box of blank mouth calls and they'd commence to making cuts in them. He was amazing at calling, still is. Another guy there was the turkey killer though. He could call(even natural voice) and really understood the other aspects of turkey hunting. He'd pull over on some dirt road and have turkeys gobbling in the distance mid day. He said he called very little and soft while hunting. Curiosity kills. I wish I'd have picked his brain. Every time I saw him bring in a turkey it was late afternoon. I couldn't call like them if I swallowed a turkey. I can't even use a full size mouth call.

Bubba_1122

Carry a lighter. Dries in seconds.
Was hunting up in middle Georgia a couple of weeks ago and had my slate call get wet from water dripping off a bush.

Took about 15 seconds to dry that out with the small plastic Bic lighter I carry in my Tom Teaser bag. Draws the moisture right out (in fact showed that trick to my hunting buddy - he'd never seen it but I'd bet a dollar there's a lighter in his bag now).

Last edited:

six

Don't feel bad. My calling sounds like a fat kid on a rusty pogo stick.

"No such thing as bad calling some of the worst calling I have ever herd was real turkeys, you may call too loud or to much, most do both but your calling is fine. "

The best turkey hunters I ever new really couldn't call a lick. They could walk quietly in the woods and had the ability to get among birds undetected. A couple clucks is all they needed and maybe one yelp. They would come back to camp with one by the feet.

I have no balance left. So walking quietly is a real challenge for me anymore. But, I go anyway. Is there anything any better, maybe bass fish when it's too windy for me to hear anything in the woods. That's another, hearing, I can''t hear like I could years ago.

Well, no matter, I'll go next week on the best day and give that old sumabuck another swing for the fence. Maybe he will do something stupid.

By the way too loud and too much has always been a problem for me. I think...."He can't hear that or he would gobble back"....foolish me.

Solid advice.