My Construction Project Saga

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
(Edit I started this thread for the other Mods and figured it might be worthwhile sharing with ya'll at this point.)

Since circa 1997 we have lived like this at deer camp. Living space in the middle, smoker on the left, shower house on the right.

I've had this "wild hair" (don't we all?) to make it more "livable" over the years. The name is the "Salem Springs Savoy Resort & Hunt Club" - home of the Dead Poachers Society. Naturally the accomodations need to be up to snuff to match the name.

Having put the money together to make it finally happen, I embarked on this massive construction project undertaking. A complete waste of time and money, no doubt.

Unfortunately the original shower house was built too close to the cabin to accomodate the footprint of the new digs so the first thing that had to happen was to build a new shower house and demolish the old one. So, on March 9 we began.

Voila! Brand new deluxe shower house with none of the imperfections of the previous one. Note the antlers. We're talking "High Style" here.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Fancy!!! :fine:

Need to put that antler towel rack lower to the ground. :D

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
After a brief intermission for Turkey Season (hey, I'm addicted just like everybody else) and rain it was time to "get serious" as the project is now well behind schedule and it looks like much of archery season will be absorbed by ongoing construction.

Accordingly, Throwback on here was engaged for purposes of site prep and final grade, to wit:

Once grading was completed it was time to stake out the foundation. Last weekend was "pull a string, square it, stake it, level it, get in out of the rain and mud".

This weekend, actual construction began. First stop Friday morning - Norcross Supply to pick up the assorted cedar timbers required for the post and tenon framing system. Those timbers weighed about 75 lbs a piece. After driving through a heavy downpour lasting about 15 minutes just before arriving at camp, the timbers each weighed about 175 lbs. Apparently cured cedar timbers are more absorbent than your average kitchen sponge!

Having successfully navigated the stretch of suicide road from ATL to Pine Mountain known as I-85 I arrived safely at camp. Yesterday morning we began in earnest by digging holes and pouring footers, the hard way. Doug and I give a fair impression of those famous Mexican twin brothers - Manual and Casual Labor. The Labor brothers do work faster than us but the results are the same. For the most part. Today, my hands still have that "Post Hole Digger Curl".

Once that was accomplished it was time to turn our attention to the timbers. Waterproofing commenced apace.

Upon completion of this task, the sky could no longer hold it's moisture and we were subjected to heavy rain. I'm not talking about a Methodist shower either. This was an all out Baptist downpour. Luckily we got plastic over the remaining timbers in the nick of time.

Next weekend is another coat of waterproofing, 2 coats of primer on all the timbers and time permitting starting fabrication of concrete forms. Posts go in the ground 7/26, God willing.

I'll update as we go along.

The problem with projects like this is it all seems so easy in the planning - "Heck, we'll just knock it together and be done."

Once you get into the execution there is a lot of "Oh yeah, didn't think about that. Need to figger something out quick."

When we get the timber frame complete it will be down to cutting and nailing up 2x4's and plywood but the timber frame is the secret to the whole wretched mess because of considerations revolving around tying the new frame into the existing frame. For a "crapenter" (not a carpenter) that is "Things that make you go Hmmmmm...."

Hoss

Now that's a project, Lee. (Didn't you get about enough of this kind of stuff with the home makeover?) Look forward to seeing the progress.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
(Didn't you get about enough of this kind of stuff with the home makeover?)

I must have accidentally scratched the scab off cause I got the itch again.:D

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
Looks good Lee!!.........I bet those November, and December showers don't take long!!:hair:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Lots of work but the end result will justify all the labor and expense. Good looking camp !!!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Looks good Lee!!.........I bet those November, and December showers don't take long!!:hair:

Actually it's not too bad in November Mitch. I have Visqueen windows that drop down and cover the screens and a couple of propane heaters. We use one of those plastic bag showers and we heat the water on the camp stove so you can take as hot a shower as you can stand. Showers usually happen midday during deer season unless somebody gets sweaty dragging one out after the evening hunt.

December is a different story. Nobody tarries long. :D It will be a hop, skip and jump from the shower to the cabin once you're done.

?

I don't see no Directv/dishnetwork equipment on them fancy digs. What kinda operation y'all runnin' down there. ::ke:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I don't see no Directv/dishnetwork equipment on them fancy digs. What kinda operation y'all runnin' down there. ::ke:

Two words - "Deer" "Camp". :bounce:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
When do the invitations come out for the "House Warming"?

I think I have some calendar openings around the third week in November.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
When do the invitations come out for the "House Warming"?

I think I have some calendar openings around the third week in November.

That's good because that's probably just about the time I'll get it finished at this point.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I would happily volunteer to drive the last nail.

Jake Allen

Now that, looks like a good, and worthwhile project!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
That is gonna be sure nuff nice!! I'd had a three point hitch auger that I would have gladly loaned you for those holes!!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I got plenty of nailers. How good are you at wrasslin' cedar timbers?:D

Long as the timbers are on the fork lift that I am sitting in the seat of I am good to go.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That is gonna be sure nuff nice!! I'd had a three point hitch auger that I would have gladly loaned you for those holes!!

:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

You don't know how tempted I was to buy one!

Long as the timbers are on the fork lift that I am sitting in the seat of I am good to go.

It's Deer Camp. We do it the old fashioned way - brute strength and main force.:D

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod

If yall would take a shower before ya left home you wouldn't even need one out there,,,,, unless you intended to stay two or three weeks. :biggrin2: