My farm has become the public dump apparently, anyone got any ideas?

Robert28

This has been an ongoing battle for years between me and the county. I own 750 acres but the problem is there's a dirt road that's county owned and maintained that runs through the middle of it. The road doesn't lead anywhere basically. It can be a shortcut to the middle school and some houses, however, there are 3 paved roads that can be used to access these so there really is no need for the road. I've tried to buy the road from the county, no dice. Tried several times to get them to close the road down. Thought I was getting somewhere the last time when the head guy asked "who owns the land where the road goes through?" I explained that I did, he acted surprised that all that land was mine. Well, surprise, surprise as Gomer Pyle used to say. He said he would discuss it with someone and call me back. He never did, and now he won't return any of my calls and messages to find out where he stands and what the reason is to keep it open since apparently that's the ruling since they're still scraping it and it's still open.

Here's the problem. I'm being overwhelmed with people dumping trash on MY property. Everything from couches, stoves, freezers, bags of trash, you name it. I've put up many signs that say "No Tresspassing and No Dumping, you will be prosecuted under penalty of law to the fullest extent if you are found in violation". Hasn't stopped them, hasn't even slowed them down. I recently got fed up with finding another couch the other day so I cranked up the tractor and hauled it off with the front end loader.....to the county owned property across the way and dumped it on theirs. I'm waiting for the cops to show up to my house (if they ever do) and I'll gladly explain my situation. I'll pay a fine, I don't care. I've had it with this foolishness! I've set up trail cams before but they were stolen, so scratch that idea. Anyone been in similar situations and have any ideas? I'm at my wits end here. I'm trying to keep my property clean because it's a prime hunting area and I'm trying to keep it from becoming the local dump, which ironically is only 3 miles away.

sinclair1

You're going to laugh, but a buddy had the same problem. He went and bought one of those cop cars at auction, cleaned it up and parked it in a spot that looks like he was hiding badly.

Robert28

That is an idea.lol I guess it could work...for awhile, until they figured out that nobody was ever sitting in it.

GoldDot40

Post signs that say the area is under video surveillance. Might not even be a bad idea to put out some trail cameras.

NOYDB

BANNED
These days you are surrounded by trash.

And they leave stuff all over your property.

If you want the county to get involved advertise you are opening your own dump. They will appear as if by magic.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Post signs that say the area is under video surveillance. Might not even be a bad idea to put out some trail cameras.

^^^^ People understand this in today's world. May help until you get a permanent solution. Good luck - hate people that think they can ............. Well - I just hate people. :)

PappyHoel

You need to start acting like a crazy crazy old man patrolling back and forth randomly firing shots at trees. Word will get on that there's a mean old crazy man there.

pine floor

Just pile it the middle of the county courthouse, since you hace a frontend loader. Tell them this belongs to some of your NO tax paying scoundrels. I couldn't help it ,this would tick me off too.

Trigabby

The first time, I picked all of it up - 2 6x10 dump trailer loads... Now, when tires or trash bags are thrown on my property, I'll throw them back in the road.. County will come along eventually and get it out of the road.

95g atl

I like the old cop car idea. Just move it around every couple of days so it isn't in the same spot. CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored two of them would be better.

I like the other idea of piling the trash in the middle of the road. Heck, blocking the road and the county would have to remove it.

Trail camera's up 20 feet in the trees? and camera's taking pics of those cameras so if they try and steal them.
How far is your house from the road? Maybe a video camero with showing live images if it isn't over 1000 ft long.

If you don't use the road, maybe your loader will accidently knock over trees that block the road?
Or accidently pile large rocks blocking the road?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would be tempted to get it off my property and put it in the road. Let the deputies come clean it up or send a county crew out to do it.

I'm amazed the county hasn't sent an officer to talk to you about fining you for the trash if you don't clean it up.

95g atl

More ideas.

ROAD CLOSE SIGN that blocks the entire road.

Put up a gate where you only have the key....and you don't know how it got there.

Make a big mud Pit so ppl get stuck.

----- though I can't be liable for any comments or replies I make.

Bstevens792

Banned
Wait till just before it Rains and if you have one till the road deep as you can in a few spots and make mud holes from heck

T-N-T

Petition to the board of comisioners to close the road.
In writing.
Attend a county commission meeting. Call the comisioners office to get the schedule. Ask to be put on the agenda for the next one.
Have written request given before the meeting.
Then attend and speak on your behalf for why this road needs to be closed.

T-N-T

Also, if there are other land owners on the road, they will have a chance to fight it, or agree with it.

Go and talk to them before hand.
Guy about 3/4 of a mile from me wanted to close a road a while back. He didn't want to let the neighbors know before hand.... it blew up in his face.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Did you file a formal petition to close the road with the county commission. As I remember you are in SC. Don't know if it works the same as here.

You file a request with the county commision and then request to be on the agenda at a regular county commission meeting. Once there you get to put your argument and problems before the entire commission.
Usually if it is not a necessary route and does not cut off
another owners egress they are glad to get rid of the upkeep.

There are 1 or 2 dirt roads a year closed down here.

Robert28

I'm the only owner and resident where this particular road runs through. The short history of it is it was an old farming settlement dating back to the late 1800's(and way before, I just don't know the specifics of it) and has been in my family ever since. This particular dirt road has always been county owned but the land all along it on either side has always been owned by my family. We have filed petitions and spoken at meetings but have never been successful. I say "we", my grandfather attempted these avenues but I never have because I figured since he was unsuccessful that I would be too.

SGaither

As TandT and Jimbo have suggested, attend the commissioner meetings and show them pictures of the trash that you've had to clean up. Call the chairman the week before and ask him/her to come see the trash first hand as well as showing him/her that the road no longer serves a public good and you'd like them to abandon the road. If this property is in Georgia, let me know and I can send you the state law on road abandonment when I get to my office Monday. This will allow you to print it and hand it to the commission.

Patriot44

Banned
Ive got the same problem here in GA. I called the sherriff after a neighboring property owner watched a known person in the area dump. Sherriffs office said there was nothing they could do but file a complaint since the dumping was not an active crime...not even sure what that means. I hate dumpers to the core!!!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
a friend of mine lived in Oconee county. She gave a couch to someone. They were hauling the couch to Gainesville. Apparently, they decided they didn't want the couch and dumped it on the side of the road in Jackson county.

The sherriff deputy found an envelope stuffed down in the side of the couch with her name and address on it. They made a case against her for dumping on the right of way, and she ended up paying a $450 fine for it. Judge said it was her couch, and she was responsible for where it ended up when it was thrown out.