My Jefferson Lease

j_seph

We are getting gungho to get some food growing down there, What should we plant in this area of GA, what time and where can I get it cheapest between Cornelia-Comer-Lexington-Thomson-Louisville
Thanks

j_seph

This is for

A spring food plot?
I know we always plant that for our fall plots

gobblinglawyer

THunter,
I must respectfully disagree with your assesment of our soils. I have many clients in the Jefferson and Glascock County areas that make very good livings from farming. Having said that, though, lime is indeed a key to good crop growth here in our area.

I would agree with THunter's recommendation of arrowleaf clover. Though planted in the fall, it will grow well into July or early August (with good rainfall) and the deer will hit it hard. R&R Seeds in Gibson is "THE PLACE" to go for good pricing on arrowleaf.

For a spring/summer crop I would suggest peas (only if you can plant more than 3 acres) or buckwheat. I have also had good luck with sorghum, but it is more of a winter food. The success of any spring/summer crop you plant around here is going to hinge greatly on the rainfall for that particular year.

What part of Jefferson County are you hunting?

j_seph

Why only at least 3 acres

Cause the deer browse so heavy?
We are real close to Old Town on 17

gobblinglawyer

j_seph said:
Cause the deer browse so heavy?
We are real close to Old Town on 17

Yes. The deer will wipe out an acre plot almost overnight. In fact, three acres might be a little on the small side if you don't get enough rain.

You also might have some issues with wild hogs out around Old Towne. Good luck this season. There are some nice bucks taken out that way.

horsecreek

dont not plant peas because of size of plot. Yes deer can hammer them but ive seen 1st hand small plots do awesome. (ex:roads planted 12ft wide by 200 to 300yrds long) It can depend on deer numbers in area as welll as other food available.
I held off for 4 yrs not planting becasue of that and when I subleased 300acres out those guys planted them- Let me tell you, I wuz jealous! couldnt believe how thick and good they came up. deer were all over them!!!
biggest thing is they were able to get up4-5 inchs 1st! after only a few weeks the peas were over a 1ft tall and tracks were by every stem..
Try it 1st, see what happens in YOUR area. NOT just off everyones elses trials.

Last edited: