My job, then hobby for over 45 years

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Back in my Navy days I could make this baby talk at close to 40 wpm. Anybody want to guess what it is?

Attachments

• aspeedkey.JPG
    aspeedkey.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 503

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Teletype or telegraph:cheers:

Slayer

telegraph

used for morse code!!!!

dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot

. . . _ _ _ . . .

S O S

:cheers:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Speedkey

You guys are too good. Yep, it's a speedkey, vibroplex original, chrome plated, name engraved with jewel movement. 40 bucks in 1962, you ought to see what one cost these days. It's easier to verbally sound international morse code by saying dididit, dah_dah_dah, dididit for SOS.
If one wants to learn code, it's best to think of dits and dahs, rather than dots and dashes. Nothing like the rythm of a good code man when he's clocking about 25 to 30 wpm.

WOODIE13

I can just hear, roll pattern one, roll pattern two.

We learn a little just in case we are captured, but with today's threat, they will not take many alive with the videos out now. Nothing like cooking off a frag:shoot:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Speedkey International Morse code

I learned code in the Navy (1960) And like it so much I've kept it up pretty well. Was the Training PO aboard ship 63 and 64 during the Cuban Crisis. Trained and had qualified several speedkey operators before I got out. Morse code is almost obsolete these days. Kinda like riding a bicycle, you never forget it. Just thought I would post as this is something very different than what we usually see on this thread.

Al33

Son,

That is too cool! Your Vibroplex has to be priceless today and certainly a great conversation piece in your home.

I recall getting Morse Code playthings in cereal boxes.:p As kids, some of us in the neighborhood had learned it pretty well and had fun communicating with it.

Thanks for sharing,

Al

jman9977

That is one nice piece of history.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
for over 45 years

If only that key could talk, plain english I mean. It would tell you about many tense moments, and a few SOS's that it's rogered for and resent on to other destinations. It could tell ya a little history about communicating with other keys in the mediterrean, Atlantic, Canal Zone, USA and even a time or two it managed to reach the Pacific. It could tell you about Morocco, the Cuban Crisis, Hurricane Ginney of 1963 and a collision at sea with a fleet oiler. A speedkey operator was called a "Golden Fist" by his peers. The ship pictured in my avatar is the USS Intrepid CVS-11, my last duty station (1964). The Intrepid is a Air/Sea museum in New York City. If you're ever up there, take in the tour, you'll be impressed. Glad some of you liked this thread and was hoping some old key guys would be onboard this site.

boneboy96

be glad you never had to work with semifore signal flags ... :biggrin3:

WOODIE13

boneboy96 said:
be glad you never had to work with semifore signal flags ... :biggrin3:

I could image if you got caught up in a swarm of African Killer bees the chaos and havoc you could cause with them:D

Latest posts