My New to me Tow Vehicle

martinc

2015 F150 5.0 4x4 Super Crew 6.5 Bed on the 157" WB w/ HD tow and payload package, 9000# tow capacity and 2000# payload capacity. It had 25443 miles when we bought it this Monday. We bought it to tow our 16' Toy Hauler/Cargo conversion and the 16' Aluminum Vhull bass boat.

The wife fell in love with it the first time she sat in it.

Martin

Attachments

• 20181022_110943.jpg
    20181022_110943.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20181025_180547.jpg
    20181025_180547.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 60

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I thought the payload package still uses the 7 lug wheels and a transmission cooler.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Ford has begun offering a heavy payload package with its 2015 F-150 pickup that increases the payload and towing capabilities for fleet and other commercial users.

The Heavy-Duty Payload Package increases the truck's payload and towing capabilities with an eight-foot cargo box, upgraded springs, tires, and wheels, as well as a heavier duty leaf supension. The package is available for the regular cab or extended cab (SuperCab) models equipped with the 5.0-liter V-8 or 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6.
The package increases the truck's GVWR to 7,600 pounds for the XL trim and 7,850 pounds for the XLT and Lariat trim models. The package is paired with the Max Trailer Tow Package on the EcoBoost and the Trailer Tow Package on the V-8. The Heavy-Duty Payload Package retails for $1,500.

The package increases payload to 3,300 pounds for the V-8 and 2,900 pounds for the EcoBoost. Without the package, the EcoBoost truck has a maximum payload of 2,230 pounds. Trailering capability for a SuperCab with the EcoBoost would increase to 11,800 pounds from 10,700, said Mike Levine, Ford's truck communications manager.
The upgrade is designed for commercial users in the construction, landscape, and automotive parts industries, Levine said.
The heavy payload package includes five LT245/70R17E BSW A/T tires for the XL; five LT275/65R18C OWL A/T tires for the XLT or Lariat; 17-inch silver steel heavy-duty wheels for the XL; 18-inch silver aluminum heavy-duty wheels for the XLT or Lariat; upgraded springs and auxiliary transmission oil cooler; and a 9.75-inch gear set with 3.73 electronic-locking slip axle.

Your door sticker has the GVWR weight.

I guess they quit using 7 lug but check the Gvwr at the door jam to be sure.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
It's a great truck, and the right color of course. Doesn't have the rare as hen's teeth HD payload package, but nicely equipped to take his Cargo Conversion and Aluminum boat just about anywhere.
  • Engine: 5.0L V8 FFV
  • Transmission: Electronic 6-Speed Automatic -inc: tow/haul mode
  • 3.31 axle ratio
  • GVWR: 7,050 lbs Payload Package
  • Towing Equipment -inc: Harness and Trailer Sway Control
  • 2070# Maximum Payload
Here's the best kept secret in a 1/2 ton truck and where the work gets done, look at these numbers, imagine getting that kind of power and torque out of a small block back in the day. It's just a 302...
  • Displacement : 5.0 L/302
  • Fuel System : Sequential MPI
  • SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM : 385 @ 5750
  • SAE Net Torque @ RPM : 387 @ 3850
Dealer still had the ad and specs posted, and Mr Bya Lungshot knows his Ford trucks.

Oh, here's another neat trick, some of you may say "a 3.31 rear gear isn't good for towing..." Well look what happens with the new multi-speed transmissions:
  • First Gear Ratio (1) - 4.17
  • Second Gear Ratio (1) - 2.34
  • Third Gear Ratio (1) - 1.52
  • Fourth Gear Ratio (1) - 1.14
  • Fifth Gear Ratio (1) - 0.86
  • Sixth Gear Ratio (1) - 0.69
When he's in fourth, his final drive ratio with the 3.31 is really 3.77. He gets the benefit of super low start gearing, decent torque multiplication across the board, and two choices of overdrive ratios when on the highway, or towing light. With the six speed, he can choose the best gear using the select shift to keep the engine near the max torque rpms in the hills, or just use the tow/haul mode and call it good.

And if you are like me still researching after you bought to prove you made the right choice: :deadhorse:

The wife fell in love with it the first time she sat in it.
Wife's a keeper...

Reactions: Dub

martinc

Thanks Dave. We like the truck. This is the first Ford I've ever owned.

While truck shopping I had several "must haves" on my list, 4x4, super crew/crew (depending on brand I wanted a full rear cab) 6.5' bed, and wanted it to have bench/split bench front seat because our 85# Lab likes to ride up front with us when we're on the road camping. And last but not least it had to tow in the neighborhood of 9000# with a decent 1500# payload +/-.

Trying to find a truck with the right combination was tough and over the last year I've looked at and test drove a few atleast one from every brand.

Just out of curiosity I went and checked the door sticker and the spec's on the dealers site are wrong, atleast some of them are.
The door sticker on my truck has the axle code L9 which gives it the limited slip 3.55 gear set and 14,500 GCWR with 9100# trailer capacity according to Ford's 2015 Tow Guide.
I'm new to the Ford family but so far we like what we bought. It will pull anything and everything I own comfortably and give me room to upgrade possibly in the future if we decide to and didn't break the bank ( just dented it) lol.

Martin

Jonboater

What kind of Rpms would it be turning in 4th gear on the Highway running 70??? That would be even more important than having 3.77gear.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
What kind of Rpms would it be turning in 4th gear on the Highway running 70??? That would be even more important than having 3.77gear.
Now that we know his rear gear ratio is actually 3.55, (even better), his towing capacity is greater, and his fourth gear final ratio is now just about 4.05:1.

If I did this calculator right, 31.5" tires (17's), 70 Mph in fourth, should put him at 3,400-3,500 rpms. That's just under the max torque rpms for the 5.0L, providing pretty effective pulling power.
RPM/gear calculator

BTW, that L9 axle code on a 2015 should be the electronic locking differential. Just pull the 4WD select button, use it on the boat ramp, or any other slippery situation...Burma Shave!

217212d1367110011t-xlt-electronic-differential-lock-image-3629701967.jpg

Last edited:

martinc

Now that we know his rear gear ratio is actually 3.55, (even better), his towing capacity is greater, and his fourth gear final ratio is now just about 4.05:1.

If I did this calculator right, 31.5" tires (17's), 70 Mph in fourth, should put him at 3,400-3,500 rpms. That's just under the max torque rpms for the 5.0L, providing pretty effective pulling power.
RPM/gear calculator

BTW, that L9 axle code on a 2015 should be the electronic locking differential. Just pull the 4WD select button, use it on the boat ramp, or any other slippery situation...Burma Shave!

217212d1367110011t-xlt-electronic-differential-lock-image-3629701967.jpg
Yes it has the electronic locking diff which is another reason I bought this truck.
Before I even went to look at it I pulled the VIN and went on one of the Ford VIN decoder sites and pulled up the spec's on the truck.

Martin

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
My gear ratio is 4.10 is the only reason I knew the HD payload.
I can beat a mustang or charger off the line for 50 feet. Lol
You have max payload and tow package not heavy duty payload because they don’t make one in crew cab. Not knocking your truck at all. I like them both for what they are.

boatbuilder

You have max payload and tow package not heavy duty payload because they don’t make one in crew cab. Not knocking your truck at all. I like them both for what they are.

What year and what axels do you have?

Did it come with 4.1 gears or did you change them?

My 2015 came with 3.55 gears and my next truck project will be a gear change.

martinc

No worries, when I said it has HD payload package I was going off of the description on the VIN decoder website. I'm still very satisfied with the trucks capabilities. Its a big upgrade from the 2000 Silverado 2WD 4.3L V6 reg cab truck I've been driving since 2003.
I kept it and plan to use it as my daily driver and as my just in case I need a 2nd truck truck, like when we want to take the cargo conversion/RV and the boat on the same trip.

Martin