My season in a nutshell

Clark8907

I am a Georgia boy born and raised but joined the military out of high school. That moved me to Louisiana where I was stationed for 8 years. Then got transferred to Alabama for 2 before I got off active duty and joined the reserves back on Barksdale. This was my first season hunting back in Louisiana and I got lucky to lease some land on the river here with landowners that have been managing for big deer for the last 30 years.

I killed the first buck running does at 362 yes on November 21. He was a 4.5 yr old but honestly if I would have had more time to look at him he probabaly would have gotten a pass just because in another year or two he would have been a giant. He was a mainframe 11 with 3 kickers.

Second buck was a deer I got pics of before bow season. Then I had a bunch of hogs move in and he disappeared. I finally got another pic of him on nov 17 but wind wasnt right to go hunt him. I didnt hunt the afternoon I killed the other buck and of course had pics of him during daylight that day. I did not see him or get another pic of him until dec 17. I figured out a plan of where he was bedding and the core area he was using and set up on him. On dec 23 as I was watching about a 130in 9 pt that was 3.5 10 does come in. The big buck was right behind them. I killed him 5 minutes before legal shooting time was over as he was pushing a young doe that came into estrous later in the season. He was a slick 9. He isnt my beat buck but he is the best that I patterned and didnt kill at an outfitters or at a buddy's property.

Then I finished up the year sticking an ol doe with the bow. Saw a ton of 2.5-3.5 yr old bucks that would score 115-135. So got high hope's for this upcoming year. Should be a couple more deer this coming year that will be some studs.

Blackston

That's a pretty good "nutshell ". Thank u for your service!!!!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations

DSGB

That's a heck of a season! Congrats on two studs!

TJay

The Roemers had a big chunk of land on the Red River back in the day. I duck hunted in there a little and deer hunted once. There are certainly some big deer in that area. Thanks for your service and good luck on future endeavors!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Thanks for serving! Nice bucks!

Clark8907

Yall are welcome. I couldnt completely get out which is why I stayed in the reserves and doing the same job during the week as a civilian.