Mystery fish hitting the surface

Richf7

While fishing for white bass this morning on the Little River I saw several good size fish feeding and rolling on the surface. All of them had what looked like a yellowish underbelly...of course none of them would chase my lures. I thought they may be carp, but aren’t they bottom feeders?

ryanh487

Probably carp. They do feed on the surface, and they also spawn at the surface during the spring. A big bunch of them jumping and rolling and being super active in the morning at the surface could possibly be spawning activity.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Carp are starting to spawn. Saw hundreds of them rolling in the shallows last weekend. Gar will do the same.

matthew j

Several years ago had a carp explode on a pop-r. Thought I had a trophy largemouth til I saw his scales. 15+ lb grass carp pulled my little Jon boat across the pond lol

GreenPig

The Common and Mirror carp will jump in the mornings. With enough time on the water you can almost always hear the difference between them and game fish.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Several years ago had a carp explode on a pop-r. Thought I had a trophy largemouth til I saw his scales. 15+ lb grass carp pulled my little Jon boat across the pond lol
I caught a 20-lb carp on a black musky jitterbug one night. I thought I had a world-record bass.

Teh Wicked

You can buy artificial bait and catch carp on the surface like that, but the best and easiest method is just some sweet corn on a hair rig with a method feeder lead. Cheap, very effective, hard to lose since you can basically tie straight 20lb braid to everything.

Mix a pack of jello, bread crumb and two cans of sweet whole corn with the juice drained off. Put about 2-3 piece on the hair rig, load up the method feeder and chuck it in the general area. THey will find it...be ready

little rascal

Was there today, you saw very large shad. Somewhere between 1-2 lbs. coming up and feeding on something on top. Looked like a hatch in trout waters was going on.
Yes there are carp there, but saw the large shad good today. Needs a little more water up there. Caught a few small male white bass.

Chap

Caught a 20lb plus Carp on a cricket . .

I've seen it happen. Over 20 years ago I was fishing with my now ex-father-in-law in my little jon boat in Evans PFA. He was snatching fly bream and bluegill in to the boat left and right with one of those 12ft fiberglass bream buster poles. He hooked up on a huge grass carp, with a cricket. It wrapped around my trolling motor and broke off.