N GA trout expedition

Dough

For all of you blessed to live and play in North GA: A couple of us are planning a few days to hike and fish in the mountains, camping along the way, no where in particular. Any advice or suggestions? I'm not asking for your favorite secret honey holes, just a general idea, like where to go, what flies/spoons/jigs work, etc...

We plan to park and hike, sleep in the woods, camp, have fun and relax. That opens it up, now let's hear your suggestions, please,
thanks,
Dough

goob

660r

it depends. How far do you want to hike? When i was in scouts, we hiked the appalachian(sp) trail alot. saw some nice little fishing holes, but they were a few miles in, if i remember correctly.

Deadline

If you want great trout fishing and back country hiking I recommend the Chatooga River. Best trails are on the SC side but your GA fishing license is good there as well as on the GA. side. It is backpacking all the way. No drive in campsites.

Deadline

Need to match the bugs. If you are going in early April fish a 12-14 Quill Gordon or 12-14 Quill Gordon Nymph or 16-18 Blue Quill, BWO, or Blue Dun or 16-18 Prince or Pheasant Tail. These should be fished in the late morning or mid-afternoon.
All month of April try 16-18 Gray Elk Hair or Deer Hair Caddis, 16-18 Gray Caddis Pupa, 12-14 March Brown or Adams Parachute, 10-14 March Brown Nymph, Dark Hare's ear, or Pheasant Tail. Also all month of April from mid-day to late evening go with 12-14 Elk Hair Caddis and 12-14 Dark Cream Caddis Pupa.
In late April in the morning try 14-16 Yellow Stilmulator or Elk Hair Caddis (yellow) Late afternoon to dark go to 14-16 Yellow Stone Nymph. All afternoon in late April a 12-14 Light Cahill or Light Cahill Nymph should work.
Midges are also around all the month of April so 18-22 Griffith's Gnat or 18-22 Midge Pupa flies could work.

clarkesville snit

If using your spinning combo I've found most any color combo of the Joe's Flies works. Just pinch on 1 or 2 split shot about 6 inches above them. They can be found at Sprawl Mart for about $2@.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
One other place you might consider is the Jacks river some of the best fishing around that not to many people know about.

Branchminnow

Dough said:
Where is that, I've never heard of it.
Thats what I always called it will take me a little while to get the info together and try and find some maps and where the trail heads are but I will let you know

Branchminnow

Thats it but be ready for some pretty and rugged country and secluded

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
ONE OF MY BOYS AND HIS BOSS ARE GOING TO FISH JACKS RIVER. HERE IS SOME INFO PASSED ON TO ME BY A WOODT'S MEMBER I CAN'T RECALL WHO IT WAS.
Go early in the season the place gets real crowded the later it gets. There is only one real way to fish Jacks River.

Go to Blue Ridge and take state highway 2. Travel on State Highway 2 from Blue Ridge to the Warden camp. From the Warden Camp you can fish up stream or down stream.

If you go through Watson Gap you will end up on Private Property and no fishing is allowed. Therefore when you reach Watson Gap go left to the Warden Camp where you can fish down stream all the way to the private property.