National Signing Day

James12

Has there ever been such a quiet one? Has
early Signing Day ruined it? Its like it never happened yesterday :)

bullgator

Yes

weagle

The SEC needs to learn how to structure a multi year non compete so that there is an actual 2 way commitment player / university.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
The SEC needs to learn how to structure a multi year non compete so that there is an actual 2 way commitment player / university.
Seems some of us here told you NIL fools this would happen and were poo-pooed by y'all.

Welcome to the destruction of the sport we all loved, hello NFL Lite. Revel in it.

weagle

Seems some of us here told you NIL fools this would happen and were poo-pooed by y'all.

Welcome to the destruction of the sport we all loved, hello NFL Lite. Revel in it.
You're wrong. This has zero to do with NIL. This is a product of the NCAA rule going back at least 40 years that restricts schools from committing to more than 1 year at a time for scholarships.

Resica

How long till they get a pay scale? I can see where teammates getting very little money and others getting a ton could create a problem. Make the playing field more level if possible.

bullgator

You're wrong. This has zero to do with NIL. This is a product of the NCAA rule going back at least 40 years that restricts schools from committing to more than 1 year at a time for scholarships.
Hey ddg, it’s appears you’re wrong again, huh! facepalm::wink:

ClemsonRangers

i think it may produce a better product on the field and more opportunities for players and schools

if you have the money, you can build a good/great team in one year, why is that bad:huh:

ClemsonRangers

How long till they get a pay scale? I can see where teammates getting very little money and others getting a ton could create a problem. Make the playing field more level if possible.
i think it should be open to anyone, ex-nfl players too

increase the number of available players, might stabilize the whole thing

ddgarcia

i think it may produce a better product on the field and more opportunities for players and schools

if you have the money, you can build a good/great team in one year, why is that bad:huh:
Seems a LOT of people, not just here on this forum but nationally, got just a little peeved with aTm for trying to do this a couple years ago. Folks nationally have been complaining about this very thing for years and now we're ENCOURAGING it?????!!!!!!

DAWG1419

Seems a LOT of people, not just here on this forum but nationally, got just a little peeved with aTm for trying to do this a couple years ago. Folks nationally have been complaining about this very thing for years and now we're ENCOURAGING it?????!!!!!!
And I said money doesn’t buy wins and I wuz right

ddgarcia

Make up your mind. Do you want them free to be able to earn "what they are worth" or do you want them locked in to one team, unable to exercise their FULL earning potential?

You fools that thought a college education and all the other assorted benefits afforded top level athletes wasn't enough compensation for playing a game have created this "Wild West" y'all now want to complain about. You'll probably be one of the first ones here crying when "your" team is divested by the University so they CAN contractually obligate the players to the team to stop all this nonsense as you seem to suggest they should. That's they ONLY way they can and will stop it and not run afoul of Title IX.

James12

Well, I’m all for being against the Wild West that’s it become - arguments on both sides… But what’s a shame is that a dude like Fromm for instance never made a dime or got a cut off the 4,567,345,765,998 number 11’s that were sold during his time here. I think that outweighed the room and board, just a bit…

Derailing the OP

weagle

Make up your mind. Do you want them free to be able to earn "what they are worth" or do you want them locked in to one team, unable to exercise their FULL earning potential?

You fools that thought a college education and all the other assorted benefits afforded top level athletes wasn't enough compensation for playing a game have created this "Wild West" y'all now want to complain about. You'll probably be one of the first ones here crying when "your" team is divested by the University so they CAN contractually obligate the players to the team to stop all this nonsense as you seem to suggest they should. That's they ONLY way they can and will stop it and not run afoul of Title IX.
You realize that contracts are the way that business operates in a capitalist environment right? Contracts are signed by both parties right?

The current problem is the NCAA is trying to maintain the facade that big time college football is an amateur sport. Flailing at the attempt to contain a genie that is out of the bottle. Their monopoly on the highly valuable football talent of 18-26 year old males (or ever how old Stetson was :) ) is over. They can no longer get away with paying $40K for million dollar talent and legally prohibiting that person from taking their most valuable talents elsewhere.

With the exception of the assassin targeting penalty, college football has gotten better over the last 2 years. More top talent is staying with the college game instead of being forced to make the smart business move to jump early to the NFL.

It's time for the SEC to grasp the professional status of the league and organize it as such. Title IX would not apply if the league didn't take University funding.

ddgarcia

It's time for the SEC to grasp the professional status of the league and organize it as such. Title IX would not apply if the league didn't take University funding
And this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The ONLY way to ensure this is for the Universities to divest their football/basketball teams and form a NFL Lite league. The ONLY resemblance that will be left will be those teams divested will LEASE the University name and likely their stadiums as well but they will no longer be "college" players. At that point it will be dead to me and millions of others who don't/won't watch "pro" ball.

weagle

And this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The ONLY way to ensure this is for the Universities to divest their football/basketball teams and form a NFL Lite league. The ONLY resemblance that will be left will be those teams divested will LEASE the University name and likely their stadiums as well but they will no longer be "college" players. At that point it will be dead to me and millions of others who don't/won't watch "pro" ball.
Ok; so you do get it.

The only thing you are wrong about is you will be one of the very few that will not continue to support the "Dawgs" 99.99% of the fans won't care or even know because the Saturday product will look the same.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Ok; so you do get it.

The only thing you are wrong about is you will be one of the very few that will not continue to support the "Dawgs" 99.99% of the fans won't care or even know because the Saturday product will look the same.

I bet there will be a lot more than a "few". :wink: