Natural weather indicators

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I trust them more than a meteorological forecast. An excellent indicator that things are about to change is bird movement. When the robins and blue jays show up around here, you can bank on a temperature change in the near future. They are here. Sandhill cranes are another indicator but I haven't seen any yet. Some look at poplar and sweetgum coloration but that is really just an indicator that things have changed. What do you look for to signal temperature change?

joepuppy

When the barometric pressure drops, my bad hip hurts. As far as temperature goes, my father always said when the goldenrods bloom, it is 6 weeks until a frost.

greg_n_clayton

When the barometric pressure drops, my bad hip hurts. As far as temperature goes, my father always said when the goldenrods bloom, it is 6 weeks until a frost.
What are golden rods ?? Ok, I went googled it. Never knew the name of it !!

sinclair1

Seasonal changes I can tell by my yard. Rain coming I can feel. I have to rely on someone to tell me if it's just a temp daily change

Jeepnfish

Coincidentally I had a yard full of blue jays this morning, they are kinda rarely seen here anymore. Tropical front moving through Wednesday and 50's/70's next Saturday. I'm ready for it!

gunnurse

When my hummingbirds disappear, get ready. They be gone.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Longtime ago my father used to tell me
“Don’t even bother going deer hunting till you see a blue jay or a raven”

GoldDot40

Got a few weather rocks for sale if anybody is interested...

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Already got a good un and a stick that reads humidity.

I look for those little orange butterflies just before cooler weather in the Fall.

someguyintraffic

Golden Rod is in full bloom. Making me sneeze.

someguyintraffic

Already got a good un and a stick that reads humidity.

I look for those little orange butterflies just before cooler weather in the Fall.
Been seeing the butterflys about 2 weeks or more.

someguyintraffic

When my hummingbirds disappear, get ready. They be gone.
Yep. HBs left last week. Saw one at the feeder last Monday. Feed no longer disappearing. Hurricane might hold things up. Theyre gonna have to take the long way around

Dub

My indicators this morning.......woke up with no power.

Trees down in yard.

Trash can staged on street was blown over.

Gonna be a fun drive to work in rain coming down sideways. Gonna see how the new truck drives through water holes, lol.

ucfireman

I have humming birds in stone mtn today. It had been a while about a week or so.
I have blue jays year round and ravens/crows have been here for a month or more. I just wait until it gets cold. Thats how I know the weather is changing.

Heard a meteorologist on the radio yesterday that said past data has shown when there is a big hurricane in the gulf late in the season, like Micheal, that it disturbs the upper atmosphere and leads to a cold winter in the east. I guess we will see.

HunterJoe24

Already seeing those dang blackbirds that come through usually in November. I'm thinking(mostly hoping) that it'll be a cold winter

j_seph

When my wipers won't wipe off the dew cause it is frozen