Need a knife that will hold an edge

Impact97

I know there will be multiple thoughts on this, but I am looking for some ideas of knifes that will hold a good edge.

Thanks,

greg j

What do you mean by holding and edge? What are you looking for exactly? Most modern knives will hold and edge for multiple uses but all need to be sharpened sooner or later.

Impact97

My current skinning knife has to be sharpened multiple times during a single deer processing. I am just looking for some suggestions of some favorite skinning knives. I like a fixed blade best.

greg j

I have several older model Marbles brand knives from before they went Chinese which hold an edge really well for skinning and boning out a deer. You may want to look for
one of those or if you want a newer knife similar to that look at Rapid River Knifeworks. They were founded by former Marbles employees.

Last edited:

rugerfan

I tend to like my Buck Knives and they aren't really hard to sharpen. I do have a couple of custom made knives, they are scary sharp, and those are even easier to sharpen. I think they are Scandinavian stainless, but not 100 percent sure.

Buckman18

What Nic said. Also, as a general rule, the easier a knife sharpens, the quicker itll dull. And vice versa... any knife that advertises 'easy to sharpen' is that way because its made with a softer steel.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Gerber Gator. Comes in fixed blade or folder. You shouldn't have to resharpen a knife while skinning and cutting up a deer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This.

I have the Gator folder, great knife. Holds a edge, I usually touch it up with a steel after every couple of deer, just to keep the edge up.
I've got one I've had about 25 years. Great knife. Gutted, skinned, and quartered one with it Saturday and it would still about shave you.

Meriwether Mike

Another vote for a Buck Knife. I can do a deer, run it on a leather strap and it will shave you.

Sixes

A few years ago, I switched to the outdoor edge razor knife with the replacement blades.

It is the best thing that I have used for skinning and quartering deer/hogs. I can usually skin 2/3 deer or a hog with a single blade and it takes about 15 seconds to change the blade to another scalpel sharp blade. I use the knife only to quarter a deer including short boning the hams and cutting through the ball joints. Those are tough on blades.

Before anyone calls me lazy, I can sharpen a knife and I own a lot of them, even some customs, but as far as working up game, these replaceable blade knives are hard to beat.

Impact97

Don`t never let it get dull. Touch it up as needed.
Never mind touching it up and always have a couple of sharpeners with me. The knife I am using was my father in laws and I have tried every which way to make it my daily woods knife but having to sharpen it 10 times on one deer don't make the nostalgia very practical.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I have the Outdoor Edge EDC 3.5 as my current pocket knife. Those blades are SHARP!

Its cut me a couple times, don;t take but a second to slip up and your cut.