Need a knife that will hold an edge

Buckhead

A few years ago, I switched to the outdoor edge razor knife with the replacement blades.

It is the best thing that I have used for skinning and quartering deer/hogs. I can usually skin 2/3 deer or a hog with a single blade and it takes about 15 seconds to change the blade to another scalpel sharp blade. I use the knife only to quarter a deer including short boning the hams and cutting through the ball joints. Those are tough on blades.

Before anyone calls me lazy, I can sharpen a knife and I own a lot of them, even some customs, but as far as working up game, these replaceable blade knives are hard to beat.

Agree with this.

Attachments

• 5888F91B-E73F-4E28-8803-FC8E622CE338.jpeg
    5888F91B-E73F-4E28-8803-FC8E622CE338.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 38

rutnbuk

Yep- the Outdoor Edge with the replaceable blades has ruined me. They are extremely sharp too. I have some custom knives that are just too purty to get dirty- wish I could- but they stay on the shelf.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It is unbelievable how fast a knife will dull if you cut into the hair. Avoid that and finishing out a deer shouldn't be an issue. May need to strop the blade with sharpening rod (or your leather belt) from time to time. I always use two knives...one to cut through the hair and the other to skin and quarter. But I've recently fell in love with Outdoor Edge replacement blades. I can do more but I change the blade after processing 1 deer. Also the sooner you skin the deer after putting it down the easier it is to skin it.
The main thing is that when you're skinning, cut from the inside of the hide out instead of from the hair side in. Makes a big diffeerence in the amount of hair on your meat, too. A simple thing that makes a world of difference.

I bought a brand new Buck 110 Ranger one year and field dressed/cut up 5 deer before it needed touched up.
Also
Schrade sharp finger or any schrade is what you seek for good steel thats sharp and easy to sharpen.
Good luck and be careful and dont get cut!

Pssssst...... Don't look now but that Shrade Sharp Finger is on sale at Cabela's for $10 with free shipping. Getcha some!!

Two are en route to this house right now :bounce:

D

Deleted member 35556

I have a Morakniv Kansbol that I got off amazon more than a year ago. It's a tough knife with a good sheath that I can recommend. Mine has 12C27 steel which is a well rounded steel. It'll hold an edge for longer than some knifes, it's really durable, it doesn't take a lot to sharpen it. It's a good all around bush knife that you'll feel good striking sparks, batoning limbs/trees, skinning/butchering a deer. Best of all, it's cheap.

crucible02

I have a lot of high quality knives and have used most of them on deer. The best I have ever used have been my Buck 110 (folder) and my Buck 113 Ranger Skinner (fixed blade).

I haven't had to actually sharpen either one and I have dressed, skinned, quarter and boned a lot of deer. Every few deer, I swipe it a couple times on a ceramic rod and it's back to shaving sharp.

I just don't think you can beat American-made Buck knives for this kind of work!

D

Deleted member 35556

They've been mentioned multiple times here lately. Morakniv is the way to go for a sharp, from the get-go knife that resharpens, IMO, rather quickly and will do what you need it to. There are deals now, for two Morakniv with Carbon steel blades for under $20. Buy a pair delivered for under $20 and should one get dull (I doubt it will) grab#2. Five minutes on each with a GOOD rod (mine is impregnated with diamond dust) will give you a shaving edge for the next time.

View attachment 993724
Bingo! You can't beat 'em. Now - if you want the knife and would like a handle that you made, they do sell blanks as well.

D

Deleted member 35556

I will never use anything but an outdoor edge from now on.
No doubt - they're fantastic for skinning. But I hate the idea of replaceable blades just being tossed. It's so wasteful in a lot of ways. One good knife, one good sharpener, and you have a sharp knife for life.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One of the best knives ever made for skinning and cutting up deer is this little Victorinox bird's beak paring knife with about a 2" blade:

large_8405_VN40606-Paring-Birds-Beak-01.jpg

They cost less than $10. I have a friend who is a taxidermist, and he skins and quarters large numbers of deer for people every year, too. This is all he ever uses. He can unzip and take apart a deer faster than anybody I've ever seen. After every deer, he hits it a few licks on a ceramic rod, and on to the next one.

Ruger15

I have skinned many a deer with the old case knife ive carried since my grandfather gave it to me when I was 12. But like others have said when im deep in the woods or hills the last thing I wanna worry about is having a sharp blade. The outdoor edge is worth its weight in gold and the blades are cheap.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That handle with Damascus would be amazing.

Every knife I`ve seen that this man has made is amazing. I own 3 of his masterpieces myself. Looks like I`m fixing to get a fourth. Pure beauty coupled with functional workability.