Need Advice on 20 Gauge Loads & Choke for Turkeys

fountain

A huge difference! The hevi 7 is only 12g/cc on a good day. It's not much denser than lead at 11g/cc. Heavyweight 7 is 15g/cc. It's heavier, therefore hits harder. On the flip side, it's heavier, so you don't get as many pellets in the load as you would a hevi 7. Patterns are still good with the heavyweight and will have killling power to beyond 40 yards. The heavyweight shot is round and uniform. I like the heavier shot in the 20 ga.
I'm not a big fan of hevi 7s. They look good on paper, but I'm not sold on killing power. I have lost some with them in 20 ga and the loads were nitros. I'm sure they work just fine, but I'm paranoid about them now. Federal heavyweight 7s were by far the best commercial loads available and I hated to see them discontinued.

Yes is 18g/cc, some even 19. It's the hardest shot available. That's why you can drop to a small shot like a #9 and kill further than we should talk about. That is what makes it the most lethal loads you can get.

deerslayer0369

A huge difference! The hevi 7 is only 12g/cc on a good day. It's not much denser than lead at 11g/cc. Heavyweight 7 is 15g/cc. It's heavier, therefore hits harder. On the flip side, it's heavier, so you don't get as many pellets in the load as you would a hevi 7. Patterns are still good with the heavyweight and will have killling power to beyond 40 yards. The heavyweight shot is round and uniform. I like the heavier shot in the 20 ga.
I'm not a big fan of hevi 7s. They look good on paper, but I'm not sold on killing power. I have lost some with them in 20 ga and the loads were nitros. I'm sure they work just fine, but I'm paranoid about them now. Federal heavyweight 7s were by far the best commercial loads available and I hated to see them discontinued.

Yes is 18g/cc, some even 19. It's the hardest shot available. That's why you can drop to a small shot like a #9 and kill further than we should talk about. That is what makes it the most lethal loads you can get.

Roger that, was just curious on the science behind the reasoning. I was thinking it was more a velocity thing just bc of powder amounts in the 12 vs 20. I’m still tinkering with the 20 so I might try a few more loads before the season opens. I have my ole trusty 535 ready to go so I’m in no rush with the 20ga...my son has another year or two before I’ll allow him to be behind the gun. This will be his first season so I’m really just wanting him to be a sponge for this year.

HuntinDawg89

I went with a different version of fibers. I purchased the Hiviz Triviz sights from midway for like $33. The install is a breeze, very bright in low light, and the selling point for me was the unobstructed field of view for POA. The only con is the adhesive strip for the front bead isn’t the greatest but will work. I highly recommend getting something just bc the POA and POI will differ. The issue will be how much. Sometimes folks get lucky and get a scatter gun that shoots POA and POI true but I wouldn’t bank on that.

Man, that sight looks good, but according to their web site it won't work on her gun because her gun doesn't have a removable front bead.

Any other suggestions?

deerslayer0369

Man, that sight looks good, but according to their web site it won't work on her gun because her gun doesn't have a removable front bead.

Any other suggestions?

You don’t have to remove the factory bead if you don’t want to, it will fit right over it. The bead should be removable though. The only guns I’ve ever dealt with that had a permanent bead was a non ribbed gun I.E. single shot. I’d take a small pair of channel locks and apply a little pressure...the bead won’t be super tight so you’ll know pretty quick without damaging anything. The tru glo pro series magnum gobble dot is also an option just more $. The fibers are thin on these so not as bright but very adjustable for elevation and windage adjustments. An Rem 1187 is a popular gun, hard to believe it would have a permanent bead not allowing for bead upgrades...just a thought.