Need advice on stand selection.

Hey all, I'm ready to buy an inexpensive stand but my head is spinning at all the choices.
I already have a ground blind so I'm looking into climbers , hang on and ladder stands as well as tripods.
I'll be hunting open fields and woods.
What would you go with and why

GoodOleBoy55

If you go the climber route, def get a summit. I can sit in mine forever, it is light ( get aluminum model), and set up is a breeze.

Reactions: Dub

HughW2

Millennium ladder stand. Most comfortable, sturdy, long life expectancy and quiet. Steel construction not aluminum. Try one before you buy.

Lock on stands are pretty dangerous. Easiest to fall out of, step off of.

Climbers are great for tough young brutes. If you are out of shape or have a bad back you will regret buying one. I had API Grands Stands for years and was pleased, but I am too mature to fool with climbers anymore.

Big7

The Oracle
I too will go with a Summit Climber.
In post # 3, Hawk Ladder is mentioned.
Don't know that brand name?? Prolly good tho..

The 2 man "buddy stand" from WalMarks is all I've ever used for a store bought ladder stand. Should be around $125.00.

If I remember right, it comes with 3 or maybe 4 ladder sections? And the seat has a foot or 2 of ladder. Additional sections should be about $25.00 per.

They won't hold water. Already painted a funky green/gray color. Hit it with some flat black randomly.

It's everything you need in a ladder stand but you will need to put some black pipe insulation on the shooting rail. I get the curtain that's made for that stand. $20.00.
Then, if it's going to be semi- permanent, get some TEK self drilling and tapping screws for the ladder sections.

You are ready to go then. Best store bought stand I've ever used. Not Joking. Plenty of room for jackets, lunch cooler or whatever.

You won't be disappointed with these stands.?

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Love my Summits

Open shot has been a great one, but pushn the big 60 next year it is gonna be used less and less. Viper is very comfy.

I'm using more sticks and hang ons now...only gotta sweat once ?

Probably more deer killed by a 10' ladder stand than anything!

Blackston

I too will go with a Summit Climber.
In post # 3, Hawk Ladder is mentioned.
Don't know that brand name?? Prolly good tho..

The 2 man "buddy stand" from WalMarks is all I've ever used for a store bought ladder stand. Should be around $125.00.

If I remember right, it comes with 3 or maybe 4 ladder sections? And the seat has a foot or 2 of ladder. Additional sections should be about $25.00 per.

They won't hold water. Already painted a funky green/gray color. Hit it with some flat black randomly.

It's everything you need in a ladder stand but you will need to put some black pipe insulation on the shooting rail. I get the curtain that's made for that stand. $20.00.
Then, if it's going to be semi- permanent, get some TEK self drilling and tapping screws for the ladder sections.

You are ready to go then. Best store bought stand I've ever used. Not Joking. Plenty of room for jackets, lunch cooler or whatever.

You won't be disappointed with these stands.?
I hope your joking if not ..... you need to sit in comfortable ladder one time it may change your opinion

Big7

The Oracle
I hope your joking if not ..... you need to sit in comfortable ladder one time it may change your opinion

Show me one more comfortable?

It's got plenty of room, comes with a camo butt seat and harness.

Tell me where I'm wrong. Show me what you got?

That's what I thought. Just bumping your gums.

Your smooth moven Exlax.?

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Show me one more comfortable?

It's got plenty of room, comes with a camo butt seat and harness.

Tell me where I'm wrong. Show me what you got?

That's what I thought. Just bumping your gums.

Your smooth moven Exlax.?

The Walmart buddy stands are not comfortable to me. I'm 601 & the seat seems to low. Also, the bar on the back is uncomfortable.
JMO.
This seems like a decent deal. Bass Pro -
Screenshot_20191015-212210_Gallery.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
The Walmart buddy stands are not comfortable to me. I'm 601 & the seat seems to low. Also, the bar on the back is uncomfortable.
JMO.
This seems like a decent deal. Bass Pro -
View attachment 986821

Well, I'm 6' flat.
I like the "double wides".

I'm sure for $99.00 that's a good one. ?

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Well, I'm 6' flat.
I like the "double wides".

I'm sure for $99.00 that's a good one. ?
Oh I love the width & room of a buddy stand.
I bought a couple of Big Game Envoy buddy stands at Walmart a couple of years ago. I think they were around $140. & are very comfortable.
I haven't seen them at Walmart in a couple of years though.

Blackston

I have one I modified. It’s decent..... But I sat in a family traditions ladder and man it’s the real deal ( but I’m an xtra large fella 6-8 325)

35 Whelen

Just got a Summit 2 man ladder stand for the back yard. Easy to put together and not bad to put up. Instructions said it was a 3 man job, however my son and I were able to get it up. There is plenty of room and it is comfortable to sit in.

RipperIII

Summit climber, even for this old man (59)
I've got 3ea. Big Game stands that I set up over 8 years ago.
2 of them are still rock solid,...1 had to replace the cross straps, and the seat cushion.
1 is the old Maxima, huge platform and over sized bench seat...super comfortable, the other 2 are the small stands...all are comfortable enough for a good 4-5 hour sit...the Maxima is good all day.

Bullochcountyhunter

Purchased a Muddy Stronghold 2.5 xtl this year. The nicest, most comfortable stand I have ever sit in. I'm 6 foot, 300. Love the flextec seats. Gonna be hard to not fall asleep this year. And the Walmart stands suck, I have one, only hunt it if wind is right and I'm only hunting a hour or two. Can't stand it longer than that. It's plenty wide, just not deep enough nor is the seat high enough. Feel like I'm in a bent over cramped position the whole time.

Bkeepr

Get a safety harness too and wear it whenever you are off the ground. And a rope for your gun. Do not raise or lower a gun with a bullet in the chamber.

Also, practice with your climber before going on a hunt. The ones with a cable, if you put them on too tight, will go up a tree just fine but going back down is a whole nother story!

Also, figure out and practice what to do if you drop the bottom part of the climber while up a tree! It should be attached to the seat part by a rope or strap. But it will still fall out of reach and get stuck! Then you have to finagle and wiggle and contort to get it loose and pull it back up with the rope. It truly sucks to be 20 feet up a tree and be sitting on the bar of the top part of the stand with your feet dangling in the air while looking at the bottom part stuck halfway down the danged tree.

Juan De

I like the summit vipers and other models that summit makes. I have become a real fan of lock ons as of late and plan to buy a millennium next.

That being said. Buy one that is comfortable which will allow you to sit longer. I know money isn’t easily earned, but remember you get what you pay for.