Need an idea for providing mineral

zmgsvt

Have a piece of river bottom in Western KY that I'd like to put out mineral or some type of attractant. Mostly just to inventory bucks over the summer. The problem is the entire property routinely floods. Up to 5' of water at times. Pouring on the ground or a trough would be useless.

I tried putting lucky buck in the On Time rice bran feeder today but the mineral is too fine and just pours out.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Well, got any old socks? :)

We've put salt/mineral in old socks and hang them from tree's where we want the critters to stop. Might be worth a try?

Or maybe drill a hole thru a salt block, pass rope thru it and hang it or put it in some netting? (Soap on a rope?)

Last edited:

zmgsvt

May try hanging some salt blocks, cheap enough to try. Surely they'll melt if the water reaches them though.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
What you'd find, is that they will lick them when they are easy to get to and when it rains, some of the salt will go into the ground and they will start digging that up too. If they are under water for days, I suspect they will be gone, but they are cheap to use!

Big7

The Oracle
Well, got any old socks? :)

We've put salt/mineral in old socks and hang them from tree's where we want the critters to stop. Might be worth a try?

Or maybe drill a hole thru a salt block, pass rope thru it and hang it or put it in some netting? (Soap on a rope?)

I'm with that. I use a 50 pound bag of brown salt. Leave it in the bag, poke a few holes in the bag. Put it in 2 old pillow cases and hang on a tree- just off the main trail. (20yds). Throw a few handfuls in a 8 inch deep hole under where the pillow cases are hanging. It will drip every time it rains. I made one on Dad's farm when I was in my 20's. It was still working when Daddy died and Mama and Uncle sold it 2 years ago. I hope I can get permission to hunt. The buyer's hunted 8 years. They leased the plantable fields- not the woods. They just went anyway. I'm thinking they owe me 8 years with a hunting pass. Guess we'll see.