Need Computer help

Skipper

Banned
I goofed last night, and I can't cure it.

I was trying to install some software on my XP running machine and of course was in the Admin account when I did it.

Anyway, the software wants to shutdown, then log on to a network that doesn't exist before it installs itself. The long and short is, it won't let me into the admin account. I can log on under the other accounts that don't have admin priviledges. I've tried starting in safe mode and it does the same thing.

Is there a way of logging in without it trying to install this mess? Is there some command to make this stop?

If not, is there away I can open the Owner documents from the other account if I know the password?

Skipper

one_shot_no_mor

Skipper, Try this...

Log in as Administrator. When this program starts trying to log onto the network, press CTRL-ALT-DEL all at the same time. When the window pops up, click "Task Manager". When that opens, click "applications" and highlight (click on) the program that is trying to start. With it highlighted, selected "End Task". :yeah:

Hopefully, that will get you out of the network login problem.

Now, while still logged in as Administrator, click "Start" "All Programs" "Accessories" "System Tools" "System Restore". Click "Restore Computer to an Earlier Date" and select a day before you tried to add this buggy program.

If the system restores, do a little research about whatever you're trying to install (does it HAVE to run on a network, are there other options during install, etc.)then try to install it again. :fine:

::huh: ::huh: Hope this helps... ::huh: ::huh:

Skipper

Banned
I've tried c-a-d to stop the program, but can't do it fast enough evidently.

When I start it up, it first comes to a screen trying to log on to the network with an error message. The only thing I can do there is click OK, once I do that, it comes to my user log in screen that displays the 3 user accounts on the machine. I can click on the admin, enter password, and it will begin to come up. Before it gets loaded, that installer pops up for a milli second, then a window pops up that says computer shutting down in 10 seconds. It actually takes longer than that, but not by much. I can barely get the start menu to open and maybe if I'm lucky get a folder pulled up, but then it's down again.

When I log in on the other 2 accounts, I get the same thing, but they do not have access to the file where the installer is, so the installer quits. I can log on to the net and do about every thing those accounts can do (they don't have admin priv). The thing I need to do is break into the documents file that belongs to the admin, get my accounting file out of it. Then as far as I'm concerned, reload XP and start over.

Skipper

one_shot_no_mor

Try this...

Reboot the machine. As soon as the Bios checks are done, start tapping F8 until a list of boot options comes up. Select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" then log in as Administrator. This should keep the system from shutting down when the program goes buggy and allow you to do a System Restore ::huh: ::huh:

Skipper

Banned
That worked. :cool:

My accounting data was on there and my back up external for it kicked the bucket a couple months ago, and I hand't replaced it. I was not going to be a happy camper if I had to spend the next 3 months building a new file. :whip:

I bet I go to the store today and aquire a new backup external. :bounce:

Skipper

TurkeyCreek

skipper,

here's suggestion....

install a second hard drive on your computer and keep all your data there. that way if your operating system or programs get really messed up to the point that you have to reformat, at least you don't lose your data.