Need help planning tree plantings (update: Pear Project Begins Now)

Jim Boyd

Hey Folks,

OK, I am a little old to start planting trees – and on leased ground to boot… but I want to start the process.

My initial thoughts are to start with sawtooth and persimmons – 50 each… and do 100 trees each year.

Looks like it is going to run about $5-6 per tree once you consider the seedling, 48” tube, stakes, netting for top of tube, fertilizer etc…

I know some folks have turned away from sawtooth’s because they are not native – but I am old and they bear early… I def do not have time to wait 15-20 years for the trees to bear.

I am wide open to all suggestions as it relates to what to plant and at what ratio.

If someone knows where to get the supplies at best prices – please tell me!

Also, am I too late to plant them this year? – it will be a January project…

I am in the lower part of SC and we do not get many hard freezes.

850 acres, about 225 acres commercial tillable and about 35 acres of plot ground. The rest is planted pine in various age groups and mixed timber.

Many thanks!

Last edited:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I am between Macon and Columbus, GA

I've lost 1 Keiffer Pear to fire blight, out of 6 that were planted in January 2012. They were about 5 feet tall, out of the ground and they've been producing the last 2-3 years. This year, they are about 18-20 feet tall and were loaded with some of the tastiest pears, I have eaten. (low maintenance)

Dunstan chestnuts were planted (2014?) a couple years after and they did very well this year. Dropped lots of chestnuts. (low maintenance)

Crab apples would be a big hit, too, I think and should grow quickly. (low maintenance, which is what I am all about :) )

We've planted sawtooths as well, but if you plant them, cut a big open area for them and give them lots of sunshine. Too much shade will slow them down.

Plant in January and February, but get your orders in now.

https://www.wildlifegroup.com/

https://www.isons.com/

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
And you can't go wrong with persimmons

Jim Boyd

Thanks Canuck - superb info!!!!

aaron batson

I planted 40 more Chestnuts around Thanksgiving - began in 2013 with four Dunstans. Now have over 500 growing - a mix of Dunstans, AU Buck IVs, and Chinese.

Attachments

• C5187A38-0928-434A-864E-F2B50237CBF9.jpeg
    C5187A38-0928-434A-864E-F2B50237CBF9.jpeg
    614.9 KB · Views: 87

Kdog

We have planted several types of apples, crab apples, pears, and saw tooth. Everything has produced except a couple apple trees. I just got my order of Dunstan chestnut seeds from Chestnut Ridge, and will start with them this year. Hope to have more than I need, so may be selling some of them.

jakebuddy

Have planted 350 sawtooth 6 yrs old now, this was the first year they produced probably about half of them at least they seem to be pretty easy. Planted in an orchard manner full sun ,fertilizer, clover planted underneath. T post and tree shelters are your friends. I have some Chinese chestnuts planted they are 5 yrs old nothing from them yet. It’s addicting and a blessing to those who will one day have the land.

Mexican Squealer

I’ve planted around 900 sawtooths on my 2 Ga farms and have hundreds of native persimmons. Sawtooths are unpredictable on when they will make acorns....I’ve had them start producing from 6 years to 10 years old. All I’ve planted have been seedlings from the state. All are putting out massive amounts of acorns but some have really taken a while.
No way I would put the effort into leased property though.but Knowing my children have established mast trees that will hopefully make them think of their old man every time they hunt amongst ‘em makes me happy.

glynr329

Cheapest place to buy sawtooth and persimmon is Ga forestry. Best luck I have is pear, crab apple and Dunstan. Buy the Dunstan at Walmart when they go on sale. Bought a lot at that time. They did great. Cheapest place to buy fruit trees flea market in Jefferson. Just planted about 20 more. Dozier crab apple is a great tree produce a lot and pretty good size. Bought at wildlife group. Can send you pictures if you want. Fastest way to plant 12 inch auger. Makes planting 100 trees easy.

Jim Boyd

I already qualified the fact that it was leased land and yes, I submit that I will lose it long term.

The trees are cheap as seedlings (from the state), it is all the rest that is expensive.

My time is free.

I thought I was gonna hear a backlash about sawtooth’s and have not heard it yet. They were the “darling” tree a few years back but not as much these days.

I will research the Dunstan’s.

Appreciate all the help!!!

Jim Boyd

Can send you pictures if you want. Fastest way to plant 12 inch auger. Makes planting 100 trees easy.

Thanks Glynr - love you see the pics.

Don’t have an auger but have been meaning to pick one up - looks like $3-500 on CL.

When you use the auger tho, you mean to plant 5-6’ trees, right?

I am going to be planting seedlings.

I was going to run a middle buster and then use a dibble.

All advice is appreciated!

Jim Boyd

I get that on leased land many people would not plant.

Those would likely be the same people that don’t go to the effort to cut in and pH correct new plots.

They think their “efforts “ can be taken from them (and they can) - but if that is the case... is that to say that you are not going to take the long view and do the best you can to improve the hunting?

Let’s say 100 (edited)trees is going to cost me $500 and my labor - and some diesel fuel.

I see people who routinely pour out $500 in corn per year.

The difference IMHO is the long view va the short view.

I am not trying to convince anyone else nor am I trying to justify my actions and intent (I don’t need to talk myself into it) - just sharing my thoughts.

I will get some pics posted up as soon as I am able to start the project.

Last edited:

glynr329

Don’t have an auger but have been meaning to pick one up - looks like $3-500 on CL.

I use it no mater what size to loosen the soil. 100 holes takes a long time especially when I don't have to get off the tractor...lol

glynr329

I get that on leased land many people would not plant.

Those would likely be the same people that don’t go to the effort to cut in and pH correct new plots.

They think their “efforts “ can be taken from them (and they can) - but if that is the case... is that to say that you are not going to take the long view and do the best you can to improve the hunting?

Let’s say 500 trees is going to cost me $500 and my labor - and some diesel fuel.

I see people who routinely pour out $500 in corn per year.

The difference IMHO is the long view va the short view.

I am not trying to convince anyone else nor am I trying to justify my actions and intent (I don’t need to talk myself into it) - just sharing my thoughts.

I will get some pics posted up as soon as I am able to start the project.

I was going to run a middle buster and then use a dibble. Will work perfect also.

Jim Boyd

I am in SC

Persimmons and sawtooth are $60/100.

48” grow tubes are $275/100.

Need stakes and tie straps - and some screen to keep wasps from building a nest in the tube.

SC forestry does recommend an auger for hardwoods!

glynr329

Sawtooth are pretty tough trees. I bought .5 conduit cut it in half and drove it in ground inside the tube. Another good tree to plant Chinkapin and goobler sawtooth. They drop little later.

Dbender

I personally wouldn't waste the time unless you don't have many/any oaks on the prop already. That is a big investment both time and money for a food source that isn't very attractive to deer.

Kdog

The trees are cheap compared to what we have put into our food plots on our lease. We did not use tree tubes because we purchased larger trees for $3-3.25 each in bulk, or I grew them from seed and maintained them at the house for 1-2 years before planting at the property. If I were doing seedling's, I would use the tubes, but by the time you add the tubes, and supports, you are close to what we paid for larger trees that will save you 3-4 years of growing. We got wire fencing for free and caged the trees to keep the deer off and have been very successful.

I just finished prepping my chestnut seeds for stratification, and got 50 seeds in my 1# order. I plan to plant 20 or so of them.

Last edited: