Need help with planting

Thread starter #1
We're planting our plots this weekend and have a few questions. I lost access to the grain drill I usually use so we're gonna have to broadcast. Planting coker oats, max grazer wheat, Abruzzi, rape, and some radishes. The plots are harrowed and prepped. What's the best was to get this stuff in the ground using just a harrow drag? Spread the r/w/o and drag then spread the other on top? Should I throw a few bags of ICP's or soybeans in the mix to let the other stuff get established? Our plots range from 1/2 acre to 8 acres so I want to make sure it's done right. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Triple C

You should be fine with the method you've laid out. If you harrowed the plot then you should have small furrows that the grains will fall into while broadcasting. Pull a drag over the plot after broadcasting and the drag should cover the seed in the furrows. Then broadcast the brassicas and drag again. Adding ICP's is optional and wouldn't hurt a thing. October forecast is warmer than normal so you should get good germination on the peas.

davidhelmly

We're planting our plots this weekend and have a few questions. I lost access to the grain drill I usually use so we're gonna have to broadcast. Planting coker oats, max grazer wheat, Abruzzi, rape, and some radishes. The plots are harrowed and prepped. What's the best was to get this stuff in the ground using just a harrow drag? Spread the r/w/o and drag then spread the other on top? Should I throw a few bags of ICP's or soybeans in the mix to let the other stuff get established? Our plots range from 1/2 acre to 8 acres so I want to make sure it's done right. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I would do exactly what you are thinking, drag in the big seed and then spread the small on top of it, run over it with a cultipacker if you have one and if not the rain will do it for you.

XIronheadX

We broadcast our big seed and cut down a 20 ft sapling with lots of limbs and drag them in. Broadcast fertilizer and small seeds mixed over it. Cultipack it in driving around spraying 5 gallons of plot start in 50 gallons of water over a couple of acres. Pray for rain. From Thursday until today. Those little feathered dudes will wear out some uncovered big seed. 62595-20180927154936-101MFCAM_MFDC6392.JPG
62595-20181003223151-101MFCAM_MFDC6497.JPG
Last year same method. 28509-20171103223026-101MFCAM_MFDC1231.JPG