Need Remington 7400 Gunsmith

transfixer

If you purchased it new, there should have been a chamber brush with it. I'd try that first, followed by a couole pulls through with a bore snake.

Then, I'd remove the forend screw and forend and spray some solvent or bore cleaner on the gas piston system. Dry that and then, a very light lube with a synthetic oil. I use Royal Purple, made for firearms in a small aerosol can.

Be advised that the 740, 742 and 7400 are not designed to last for thousands of rounds to be fired. They simply will not withstand that many firings. The rails inside the receiver are typically the weak link.

Good luck.

Very true ! I started hunting with a 742 back in 1976, over the next 6 or 7 years I put lord knows how many rounds through that rifle, way more than I should have, just plinking and target shooting, I wore out the rails in the receiver, and put a lot of wear on the bolt as well, finally quit using it in favor of another rifle, probably 20yrs ago I pulled it back out of the closet determined to fix it, ended up buying another one for parts, used the receiver off of it and the bolt, with my original barrel, and stocks, now it works without jamming, although I really don't hunt with it anymore, I could if i wanted to .

Darkhorse

I had one in 30 '06 many years ago. Mine was a jammaster too, until I worked out a process to keep it shooting.
1. It would shoot around 25 rounds before it started jamming. After shooting I'd take it home and really scrup the chamber with a chamber brush. If you don't have a chamber brush try and find a set of coffee pot brushes, the set will have at least one nylon brush that will work well.
2. I bought a set of small base dies from RCBS, , these size the base a little smaller and the ammo then works better in the 742, 740 etc.
3. Stay off the maximum loads. Pick one that shoots good in your gun out of the 1st and 2nd load listed from the bottom.

transfixer

I had one in 30 '06 many years ago. Mine was a jammaster too, until I worked out a process to keep it shooting.
1. It would shoot around 25 rounds before it started jamming. After shooting I'd take it home and really scrup the chamber with a chamber brush. If you don't have a chamber brush try and find a set of coffee pot brushes, the set will have at least one nylon brush that will work well.
2. I bought a set of small base dies from RCBS, , these size the base a little smaller and the ammo then works better in the 742, 740 etc.
3. Stay off the maximum loads. Pick one that shoots good in your gun out of the 1st and 2nd load listed from the bottom.

Staying away from max loads is very true, I remember reloading some rounds for mine years ago and it worked a lot smoother with loads a few grains under max

Mattval

X2, sold.mine for $150 bucks. I took it to the pawn shop and he was shaking his head before i made it to the counter. He said i dont want it. For any price
WHOA