Neighbor's Leaking Water Line Turning My Yard Into a Swamp

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Try calling epd as well. Not sure if than can/will do anything but it's worth a shot. I'd be getting ahold of the owner though.

SC Hunter

Call the property owner. Just tell them hey you have a busted water pipe that your tenants haven't fixed. It is running onto my property and causing an issue and will eventually effect my driveway or whatever it is hurting. If said driveway becomes compromised I will expect you to pay for the repairs or I'll take you to court. Simple as pie. Any normal person will address right then.

rayjay

After running all day yesterday and all night and through today until about 3 the water is now shut off and the 12" tall weeds are now cut so maybe code enforcement has been on the scene. Will have to wait and see if the code enforcement report shows up on the Gwinnett county website.

chase870

Possum Sox
Just bust the leak wide open and the Renters will be calling the Owner 5 times a day...
This it will cause the water to be cut off the tenant may or may not tell the land lord he has no water depends on if the rent is in arrears

DannyW

After running all day yesterday and all night and through today until about 3 the water is now shut off and the 12" tall weeds are now cut so maybe code enforcement has been on the scene. Will have to wait and see if the code enforcement report shows up on the Gwinnett county website.

Don't rely on the website. After seeing the code inspector onsite, and speaking with them face-to-face, they told me they had issued a citation. I checked the website and never saw it show up there. Apparently there is a lag time getting citations physically posted.

Or maybe the code inspector lied to me about the citation?

In any case the tree was removed pretty quickly after that. Hope yours also gets resolved soon.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Rayjay, be sure and take pics of the damage it's done to your property too.

Stumpsitter

I'd turn there meter off and place a padlock on it. Pure laziness that they won't fix a simple water line. Or you can go diplomatic and offer to assist with repairs. Just sayin

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Call code enforcement and ask for Will Wiggins. Mean former police chief. He’ll get it fixed for you. Tough guy but very fair

Lukikus2

I'd turn there meter off and place a padlock on it. Pure laziness that they won't fix a simple water line. Or you can go diplomatic and offer to assist with repairs. Just sayin

I turn folks meters off illegally every day. Putting a padlock on one will give you a go to jail card.

rayjay

So here is the current situation. The tenants have moved out and the water is turned off. A hole has been dug down to the level of the water line which is about 3 feet down. The water line is galvanized steel, heavily rusted / pitted. Last week there was a plumber down in the hole putting at plastic union/repair on the pipe to fix the leak. I was coming from a neighbor's house and stopped to see what was up. The plumber turned on a hose bib to reduce the pressure rise and then turned on the water at the meter. Water started leaking at the plastic union AND more water started coming into the hole from the direction of the meter which means the whole line will need replacing instead of a cheap fix.

The plumber is working for the landlord so I guess the sidewalk contractor or silt fence installer isn't accepting any responsibility and it's obvious from the distance to the beginning of the silt fence and the depth of the water pipe that the installation of the silt fence didn't create several pin holes in the old steel pipe. The house was built in 1960 but surely this isn't the original pipe, is it ??? 60 years old ??? Anyway, no more work has been done since that day. I'm betting that it's been leaking for an extended time and the water bill is $500+ and that is why the tenants moved out. They didn't keep the place up but they were quiet so in the bigger scheme of things they were ok.

specialk

Call code enforcement and ask for Will Wiggins. Mean former police chief. He’ll get it fixed for you. Tough guy but very fair

did he work for chamblee at any time?

Lukikus2

More than likely the original water line. It will all have to be replaced. PVC repair couplings are for pvc. He should have used a galvanized one. But it doesn't look like it matters either way.