Nelly and Tanny in Kansas

Smokim

Well that was a fun morning. I would like to thank my gorgeous wife Melissa for letting me out on this trip and keeping our four awesome but crazy kids at bay. And Nelly for organizing the trip. We are missing the third leg to the tripod, oldest brother Harry but I am sure he will try to make the trip next year.

I saw the first two bucks but not much movement this morning. Then around 830 three does started to make their way down the ridge I was thinking there had to be a buck following and looked back up the hill and 80 yards away was big boy. He walked towards the does grunting and they went off the back of the ridge out of sight. He was at the top of the ridge facing away from me at 70 yds. I used my doe bleat first but he paid no attention. A few seconds later I used my buck grunt for three slow grunts and he immediately looked my direction. I had my bow up blocking my face trying to camouflage. He started feeding again and was still facing away. I grunted several more sequences and each time he would just turn and look. Then the fourth sequence he looked then turned and took a few steps my direction. My heart was pounding at this moment. I stayed still until I was sure he was committed. He slowly walked down the hill then stood behind a limb for a few min at 30 yards. Then he turned to my left and walked out at 25 yds. I drew back and grunted to stop him and slowly pulled my release. I hit him right behind the shoulder and a clean pass through. He only made it 20 or 30 yards then stopped and fell over dead!

I am absolutely pumped, by far my biggest buck.

bullhorn1

Well that was a fun morning. I would like to thank my gorgeous wife Melissa for letting me out on this trip and keeping our four awesome but crazy kids at bay. And Nelly for organizing the trip. We are missing the third leg to the tripod, oldest brother Harry but I am sure he will try to make the trip next year.

I saw the first two bucks but not much movement this morning. Then around 830 three does started to make their way down the ridge I was thinking there had to be a buck following and looked back up the hill and 80 yards away was big boy. He walked towards the does grunting and they went off the back of the ridge out of sight. He was at the top of the ridge facing away from me at 70 yds. I used my doe bleat first but he paid no attention. A few seconds later I used my buck grunt for three slow grunts and he immediately looked my direction. I had my bow up blocking my face trying to camouflage. He started feeding again and was still facing away. I grunted several more sequences and each time he would just turn and look. Then the fourth sequence he looked then turned and took a few steps my direction. My heart was pounding at this moment. I stayed still until I was sure he was committed. He slowly walked down the hill then stood behind a limb for a few min at 30 yards. Then he turned to my left and walked out at 25 yds. I drew back and grunted to stop him and slowly pulled my release. I hit him right behind the shoulder and a clean pass through. He only made it 20 or 30 yards then stopped and fell over dead!

I am absolutely pumped, by far my biggest buck.
That's what happens when you hit them in that kill zone,nothing alive can take it,great job

Smokim

Nelly saw one more doe but no bucks following? It will be cold in the morning and the snow has stopped. Time to paint it red Nelly!

BornToHuntAndFish

Congrats Smokim on your towering tall tined titan of a Great Plains beast. Thx for posting.

Smokim

Day 8 of 8. Nelly is headed out. After much debating he decided to hunt the T stand. I saw shooters there three straight hunts and all different deer. Praying it comes together for little bro this morning!

Reactions: acf

Smokim

Only a yote since the small eight. We saw a big boy in there around 11am yesterday. Hope he repeats, cause Nelly will drop the hammer!

Smokim

The buck walked the bottom and went right by the old stand location.(n)

Nelly is going to slip out and grab a bite then game plan for this evening hunt.

nellyw92

20 mph constant winds vs a forgetful hunter without a face mask. The windy tree rodeo won. Gonna go back in around 2! Last hunt, gotta get it done!

Smokim

Nelly has been in since 2pm. Had two does under him before he could get the bow up the tree. Hopefully wind calms down before dark and the big boys come out to play. Last hunt of the trip. Now or never!