New bow, fun

Thread starter #1
At the suggestion of @strothershwacker I ordered a Samick Sage recurve this week. I got 50# draw weight, because it was about $15 less expensive than #45... I also ordered a few traditional wooden arrows with field points on them. After about 8 miles of hiking with my pup, I returned home to found they'd both been delivered. First off, this is a nice, smooth bow. Second, 50# on a trad bow - whoa! I'm trying to work out the shot in my head, prior to pulling back so that I am not caught holding for too long. I realize these are new muscles I am using and it will take me a bit to get them stronger and conditioned so I don't want to be at full draw, wobbling, shaking, and end up making a horrible or dangerous (backyard) shot. I don't have a finger tab, so I've been using a glove that I found around the garage; but, that was only after I've taken a bunch of shots bare fingered. They got sore real fast!

At first my shots were a little all over the place - about 6-9inch "groups", if you could call them groups. But on my last set I decided to really just focus on the target and take my time and ended up with this (@20yds)

IMG_0654.JPG

I took the advice of some great athletic coaches and stopped on a positive note for the day. I will pick it back up tomorrow, and the next day, and the next... I have a feeling this is the sort of thing that takes a TON of practice and even then might still not be enough.

We shall see where this will take me...

It's very addictive. I've shot a compound for 26 years but wish I woulda started off with a trad bow. Figure out what works for you and hone yer own skills. I shoot three under and made my own tab. Shootn got better. Keep us posted on your progress!

Thread starter #6
The thing I really like about the traditional way is that it's minimalistic, sort of.
My fly fishing buddies make fun of me, because I use a cheapo rod, a handful of flies, and rarely bring more than a pack the size of two wallets strung together. I like gear, and I LOVE technology, but then I don't. If that makes sense. I like to be able to get the same/similar thing from something I've made or from a rig that's more simple. I realize there are going to be game, times, etc that you have to bring out the big guns (pun totally intended), but until then I am going to keep practicing with this.

@strothershwacker do you have a "recipe" for a tab? I've just been using a regular old garage work glove when my fingers get sore. I wanted to try and train my fingers to deal with it over time so I didn't have to rely on a tab or glove, but I found my shooting was way better: more accurate and getting to full draw more consistently.

Thanks again guys for the advice! I'll keep things updated and hopefully with access to some new land, I might be able to take a harvest in the fall with this thing.

PS: what are folks using as string silencers? I've seen guys with those feathery looking things on the strings... I guess a google search is in order.

The tan leather is from the back of a work glove. The dark harder smoother peice was added later (from an old wallet). Seems like the string comes off a lil' cleaner. (Easier on fingers too). I've trimmed it 2 or 3 times to get it just the way I like it. You can use the brass from a 12 gauge as a hole punch then stretch it to yer likin. I just used super glue to bond the 2 leathers. This was just how I done it. There again tweek yer own for what works best for you. I'm sure there's some good ones on the market, but I wouldn't trade mine for all of em.😁 20190210_093056.jpg 20190210_092753.jpg 20190210_092809.jpg 20190210_092948.jpg

Thread starter #8
Good stuff man!
Appreciate the ideas.
This miserable rainy Sunday might find me in the garage creatin!

The tan leather is from the back of a work glove. The dark harder smoother peice was added later (from an old wallet). Seems like the string comes off a lil' cleaner. (Easier on fingers too). I've trimmed it 2 or 3 times to get it just the way I like it. You can use the brass from a 12 gauge as a hole punch then stretch it to yer likin. I just used super glue to bond the 2 leathers. This was just how I done it. There again tweek yer own for what works best for you. I'm sure there's some good ones on the market, but I wouldn't trade mine for all of em.😁 View attachment 958604 View attachment 958605 View attachment 958606 View attachment 958607

Todd Cook

The thing I really like about the traditional way is that it's minimalistic, sort of.
My fly fishing buddies make fun of me, because I use a cheapo rod, a handful of flies, and rarely bring more than a pack the size of two wallets strung together. I like gear, and I LOVE technology, but then I don't. If that makes sense. I like to be able to get the same/similar thing from something I've made or from a rig that's more simple. I realize there are going to be game, times, etc that you have to bring out the big guns (pun totally intended), but until then I am going to keep practicing with this.

@strothershwacker do you have a "recipe" for a tab? I've just been using a regular old garage work glove when my fingers get sore. I wanted to try and train my fingers to deal with it over time so I didn't have to rely on a tab or glove, but I found my shooting was way better: more accurate and getting to full draw more consistently.

Thanks again guys for the advice! I'll keep things updated and hopefully with access to some new land, I might be able to take a harvest in the fall with this thing.

PS: what are folks using as string silencers? I've seen guys with those feathery looking things on the strings... I guess a google search is in order.
I know exactly what you mean. I make the majority of my hunting gear; have for years. The older I get, the more I realize "things" don't mean as much to me as they used to. As to the finger tab, this is how I make mine. Scrap leather and a piece of velcro. Lasts for ever

Attachments

Until you get your fingers toughened up some, a " Black Widow" tab offers the most comfort. They have a calf hair underside wich provides a silky smooth release. It allows you to shoot Apache grip or 3 under. If your fingers are stinging, you have trouble giving 100% concentration on the smallest part of the target or dot. I love DIY gear more than most, but in the beginning...your fingers will thank you. And by the way, that's good shooting !