New Bows?

gordylew

I keep looking at the new offerings from Mathews , Bowtech and Hoyt. Everything offered are duel limb designs. I just can't warm up to them. They are all wide. The only bow I find is the Mathews Z3 with single limbs. What are the advantages of these duel limb bows? I feel that over time a limb will lose temper. Having 4 separate limbs seems like will increase the chances that a wheel or cam will be torqued. Thoughts on this.

Kris87

More benefits to dual limbs. Easier to control cam lean by using different deflections on each side(although not all of the manufacturers do this). Solid limbs are more prone to limb twist because of the pull from the cable guard.

I've yet to have a limb that lost deflection.

Tadder

The NEW MATHEWS Triax and the PSE 28 are both SMOOTH new Hunting bows. I've shoot them both Great bows. What Kris said.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
If you are still looking for a quality single limb bow check out Prime. They have a very different way to slove the cam lean problem.

The Arrow Guru

This will be a little long winded but I will give you some stuff to think about. If you look at the average "solid" limb you will see it is thick at the axle end and the limb pocket. The thin part in the middle is the only "working" part of the limb. So say you have a 13" limb, the working portion may only be 4". Plus most failures occur in the yoke of the limb, where it splits to accommodate the cam. There is a natural weak spot there and sometimes the same on the limb pocket end.

If you look at the profile of most split limb designs, you will see the thinner part of the limb, the part that does the work, it runs nearly the entire length of the limb. Because the working area of the limb cover more surface area of that limb, it's more efficient, stores energy more efficiently, and does not have a natural weak spot because there is no void in the structure.

Since Bowtech started making their limbs in house, they are as strong as anything in the industry.

shawn mills

Go shoot the Mathews Triax. You’ll go home with it.

Fourfingers

Shooting bowtech realm x after shooting Hoyt for several years. Went and shoot a lot of bows this year and narrowed it down to the triax and the realm x. After shooting them side by side left with bowtech. Triax is a nice bow too.

Hillbilly stalker

I had a Browning backdraft split limb bow that came apart on me. It started with a tiny creak when I drew it back, first shot only. Pulled it back at the house before going hunting one morning and one of the limbs started separating and let the cam kick sideways. The string caught on the other limb when it slipped or I would have a face full of fiberglass. That was the same time PSE bought out Browning. I’ll never trust another split limb. They mite be better now.

pasinthrough

Split limbs for me. Nothing out there that’s more purpose built as Byron stated. The addition of the Overdrive Binary cams on the Bowtech allow for infinite cam adjustments for any shooter, poundage, draw length, or arrow combo. I was stubborn and shot another brand for several years. Those bows were temperamental and required shims to tune them properly. With the ODB cams all you need do it adjust the cables and it’s in tune. Simple and easy.

The thing about cam lean is your bow must have it at some degree in order to tune the horizontal plane of the bow string when it fires. Nothing wrong with the cams leaning and it’s a natural thing so the bow shoots like it should.

I trusted my Bowtech and it’s cam system and split limbs to perform during my Africa hunt back in June. I was more than impressed taking 9 animals in 9 days all with a single arrow.

Trust the new technology because it’s here to stay! Good luck

Attachments

• AD5DD8A0-DFF3-47D4-9859-27F75EEB8E82.jpeg
    AD5DD8A0-DFF3-47D4-9859-27F75EEB8E82.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 31

gordylew

Thanks for the info. I rarely buy new cars and I may get a triax but I'll probably wait till a used one comes in next year. The best thing about working part-time at a shop with an archery dept. I tend to get to pick through the used stuff first. lol

spencer12

As others have said, I believe the advantages of split limb technology outweighs that of single limb bows. I personally preferred single limb bows for a long time until I did some research on the subject.

CaptGary1

Just purchased the Mathews Triax. Smoothest and quietest bow I have ever handled. Really looking forward to getting it in the woods. Shoot as many different bows as you can to make your choice. Good luck.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Just purchased the Mathews Triax. Smoothest and quietest bow I have ever handled. Really looking forward to getting it in the woods. Shoot as many different bows as you can to make your choice. Good luck.

Same here. Bought mine day before yesterday. Love everything about it. It's fast, smooth and quiet.