New Deer Rifle

Thread starter #1

pdsniper

Not Really a Muzzle loader but it is a Black powder rifle, I finally got my Dream rifle a few months ago a 1874 Long range express Shiloh Sharps and I have been trying different loads and bullets and also different brands of black powder and up until the other day the Swiss target powder was the best, then a long time friend who is the Ballistic engineer for Western powder co told me I really need to try the Black Horn 209 powder and wow was he ever right not only did it take less powder to achieve good velocity but I got better grouping and no fowling so as of right now I'm going with a 350 gn flat nose hollow point on top of 55 gn of Black Horn 209, I also went from a 24 in hold over at 200 yrds to a 12 in hold over, I cant wait until rifle season to see how this load preforms on a buck, the orang and black target is a 100 yrds and the white is a two shot group at 200 ryds

Attachments

Miguel Cervantes

GON Severe Weatherman
Man that's a beautiful gun. Better keep a close eye on it if Nicodemus comes around. He'll take a liking to that and his fingers might get kind of sticky.

Darkhorse

I like it too. I like trying to shoot tiny little groups. And that rifle just looks fun to shoot.

Thread starter #6

pdsniper

Its in 4570 the brass is just so much easier to get and a whole lot cheaper and if I had to I can shoot smokeless rounds in it as well, this rifle is just tons of fun to shoot and I wanted a challenge with my modern sniper rifles I have been hunting with it was just to easy and not much of a challenge to me, I have been just amazed that a rifle design thats this old shoots this good and with black powder so I plan on hunting all of Rifle season with it

transfixer

Very nice rifle ! I have wanted one of those ever since the Quigley movie came out, just haven't been able to justify the price as of yet , but I will one day ! I didn't realize you could also shoot modern smokeless rounds in them though ?

Thread starter #9

pdsniper

just in the one chambered for 4570 the other larger Calibers are BP only, but I like BP so much thats all I have been shooting in it and I especially like the Black horn 209, I bettered my group size this week end just by changing primers this one was with Black horn 209 powder but I used a Remington large rifle primer instead of the federal Mag rifle primer

Attachments

That is absolutely one slick piece, and killer accuracy. What a fine looking weapon.....just DANG! Hunting with that thing is going to be a heckuva lotta fun! What a rifle man.

Muldoon

Who made them are the Shilo's or Pendersoli ? got a buddy thats wanting one
Bottom is C. Sharps with heavy bull barrel, top is a Pedersoli action with a 34" custom barrel! Both shoot outstandingly well to 1000 yards!