New Doe Poll!

How many doe did you harvest in Georgia during the 2003-04 season?

Votes: 28 28.9%

Votes: 15 15.5%

Votes: 21 21.6%

Votes: 11 11.3%

Votes: 9 9.3%

Votes: 7 7.2%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Hoss

With a one doe per membership limit last year, I choose not to shoot a doe. I decided that if a doe was going to be taken on our membership, I would let my wife or daughter get it since neither of them have ever shot a deer.

Hoss

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I've closed the poll.

With 99 participants harvesting a total of 216 Georgia female whitetails that give us an average of 2.18 doe per hunter.

Some of you more statistic minded folks help me if I'm wrong but ordinarily you throw out the high and the low, which in this case is one of those that responded "10" and one that responded "0".

That gives us 206 deer for 97 hunters for an average of 2.12 per hunter.

I think that we can agree that Woodyites, as a set, have a higher skill level than the average hunter in our state and that our success rate would be higher than the scientific, random sample taken by The University of Georgia Research Team that compiled data on harvest for the state.

The states statistics state that the average was 1.6 deer per hunter. That study cost us about $50,000.

Would it be worth a quarter of a million dollars to find out that the actual average was 1.7 or 1.5 or even to find that the research was statistically valid and in fact the average was 1.6?

Which program do we cut within the WRD to fund the new data collection?

Given that, do you think the limit has had any effect on the population?

Would the harvest increase significantly should the limit be lifted or increased?

These are important questions that we must seriously weigh in the coming days not with our emotions but with logic.