New Georgia Rut Map!

RipperIII

Yes! In fact, in 2 of the 3 counties where we compared DVCs against conception dates, the peak in DVCs occurred 1-week prior to the peak in conception dates. In a different study done in Michigan, the peak in DVCs also occurred approximately 1-week prior to peak conceptions, so our results were consistent with that study.

It also agrees with anecdotal observations I made in Pennsylvania when monitoring deer via radio telemetry...I noticed when deer were moving a lot, I saw a lot more road kills. The greatest level of deer movement was usually between the 1st and 2nd week of November (around Nov. 7th), but peak conceptions occurred around Nov. 15th. Also, my landlord in PA did auto-body work and his shop was right next to my apartment...when the rut was "on" there was no room to park in my driveway (which coincidentally were the same days I was seeing a lot of road killed deer and observing lots of movement).

This is actually how our rut map differs from others. Other rut maps focus on peak breeding dates based on conceptions, but that isn't necessarily when deer movement is at its greatest. The more deer move, the more they end up road kill, so peak DVCs should represent peak deer movement.

The bottom line...if I want to know when peak deer movement occurs in any part of the country, the first person I'm going to contact is a local auto body shop, because when the rut hits, they are swamped with work. Apparently I'm not the only one, as Craig Dougherty does the same (http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2013/10/highway-road-kills-sure-sign-whitetail-rut).

Two weeks ago I saw a dead spike on the median of 75N just outside of McDonough, last week I came up on a gaggle of vultures feasting on roadkill on a backroad creek crossing known for heavy deer traffic. My buddy observed 7 bucks following 2 does, a nice fight between two mature but young bucks...don't know if that cool snap has kicked up early movement or not, but this seems a bit early. I watched two different 4+ year old bucks feeding lazily out in a fresh clear cut Saturday in broad daylight...go figure.

BowanaLee

Some of the colors are so close you cant match it with a date. I was able to look it up though. Its fairly close. (Henry,Dekalb,Rockdale)

PappyHoel

Lumpkin date seem pretty close. Though I would say it's a week later.

Awesome map though. Thanks!!!!

I agree. Over the last 5 yrs of hunting there, i have seen peak around Dec 2-5.

PappyHoel

Quoting this pro-tip! Im looking for the nearest body shop to lumpkin cty now.

Yes! In fact, in 2 of the 3 counties where we compared DVCs against conception dates, the peak in DVCs occurred 1-week prior to the peak in conception dates. In a different study done in Michigan, the peak in DVCs also occurred approximately 1-week prior to peak conceptions, so our results were consistent with that study.

It also agrees with anecdotal observations I made in Pennsylvania when monitoring deer via radio telemetry...I noticed when deer were moving a lot, I saw a lot more road kills. The greatest level of deer movement was usually between the 1st and 2nd week of November (around Nov. 7th), but peak conceptions occurred around Nov. 15th. Also, my landlord in PA did auto-body work and his shop was right next to my apartment...when the rut was "on" there was no room to park in my driveway (which coincidentally were the same days I was seeing a lot of road killed deer and observing lots of movement).

This is actually how our rut map differs from others. Other rut maps focus on peak breeding dates based on conceptions, but that isn't necessarily when deer movement is at its greatest. The more deer move, the more they end up road kill, so peak DVCs should represent peak deer movement.

The bottom line...if I want to know when peak deer movement occurs in any part of the country, the first person I'm going to contact is a local auto body shop, because when the rut hits, they are swamped with work. Apparently I'm not the only one, as Craig Dougherty does the same (http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2013/10/highway-road-kills-sure-sign-whitetail-rut).

Pneumothorax

Some of the colors are so close you cant match it with a date. I was able to look it up though. Its fairly close. (Henry,Dekalb,Rockdale)

You can click on a county and it'll remove all others except that one from the lists on the right.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you read the OP Charlie made it tells how they developed the data. Its a combination of car collisions, conception dates, and collared deer activity data.

This has got to be the closest thing yet to being accurate.
Again, good work by all :clap::clap:

tcoker

That's all well and good but what about for the specific coordinates of where my stands are??

J/k- Awesome work. Thanks for the effort and for posting it here.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
That's all well and good but what about for the specific coordinates of where my stands are??

J/k- Awesome work. Thanks for the effort and for posting it here.

Your joke reminds me of the folks in the winter weather threads. Folks ask " What time will it snow on the southeast side of eastern Henry County ;)"

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
My question is to the experts will the heat move these dates or they will be on every yr same time? Just more movement at night?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My question is to the experts will the heat move these dates or they will be on every yr same time? Just more movement at night?

Not an expert, but I will offer this for thought.

Consider the coastal and Florida deer who rut when it is 90 degrees.

Also note this is the "peak" dates, does will be bred over a 60-90 day period, look at fawns being born from May to September for proof.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
bump for the daily questions being posted

QuackAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowanna View Post
You can click on a county and it'll remove all others except that one from the lists on the right.

That's great for the online version but when I looked at it in GON I thought why would someone go through all this time and effort and then only use varying shades of blue and green. As Chris Berman from ESPN would say... Come on man!

Good data guys. Just change the colors when you update...

Farm Club

It is off for south effingham county, there are 2 dead does in the last 3 days on the hwy, one of them is from my lease. Had a 4 pointer walk thru corn yesterday and never stopped. Guys at church talked about seeing bucks walking at various times yesterday.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowanna View Post

That's great for the online version but when I looked at it in GON I thought why would someone go through all this time and effort and then only use varying shades of blue and green. As Chris Berman from ESPN would say... Come on man!

Good data guys. Just change the colors when you update...

It's a gradient color scheme meant to show the trend across the state, you use the table or click on a county for the specific date.

Last edited: