New gun and New Choke but a bad pattern, what next?

Josh1997

just ordered a new Browning silver hunter, 3 1/2 chamber and a new carlsons long beard XR choke and am using Longbeard XR 3 1/2inch #4 shells. It consistently shoots about a foot to the left, any suggestions on what to do next or have had this happen before with a new gun, have always used this choke and shell combo and haven't ever had a problem with it until this gun.

turkeykirk

Check and make sure everything is straight. Bought a 20gauge Remington 870 brand new that the magazine tube was bent on . Shot to the right about a foot at 20 yards. Had to send it back to get it fixed.
You could always put on adjustable sights or a red dot scope. Could try different ammo too.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Contact browning

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
My son was looking at Longbeard shells and chokes. It was my understanding that each shot size had a particular choke? From what I saw on some youtube videos they seemed to work great with some factory x full chokes too. But yeah, contact Browning first.

Buckman18

Neither of my turkey guns shoot Longbeards straight so I put a scope on both. Problem solved.

Ihunt

A scope

FootLongDawg

Try 5 & 6 shot first. Most shotguns I have used for turkeys shoot low left or high right. That is why I use a red dot.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'd try a different choke and different shot size. If that don't work it might be time for a scope.

Killdee

Or a forked tree!!! Gun doc has straight out a bunch of them high end benellis and other guns with his forked tree.

Hillbilly stalker

Or a forked tree!!! Gun doc has straight out a bunch of them high end benellis and other guns with his forked tree.
I've seen it done in the sled standard hole in a pick up truck a couple times, I wasn't gonna sayanything, hillbillies got their own way sometimes :biggrin2:

Mark K

Banned
Put a stock choke in it and shoot a dove load and see if POA is POI. Haven’t had a gun yet that is off when doing that, but some turkey loads and chokes cause some serious problems.

Gator89

Several years ago, I tried some Winchester Supreme in my 870 with a Hastings choke. The Supreme shot low and the pattern was flat like you had flattened the end of the gun barrel with a hammer on an anvil.

Tried some Federals and that resulted in a perfect pattern at point of aim.

So definitly try you stock chokes and various lees expensive ammo before blaming the gun.

Mark K

Banned
Several years ago, I tried some Winchester Supreme in my 870 with a Hastings choke. The Supreme shot low and the pattern was flat like you had flattened the end of the gun barrel with a hammer on an anvil.

Tried some Federals and that resulted in a perfect pattern at point of aim.

So definitly try you stock chokes and various lees expensive ammo before blaming the gun.
I bought some very very expensive ammo many many years ago, and ran into to same problem. I was shooting it out of my normal shotgun I use for dove/ducks/anything that flys, and that stuff kicked like a mule and shot about a foot left of center. Still have the 4 remaining shells, lol. I ended up with another choke and different shells and it hit exactly where I aimed, just like it did with all the flying birds.
I have since went to a dedicated turkey gun and put a FFIII on it so whatever I want to shoot I can make work. (The sight probably cost more than the gun, lol) But, it has killed a pile of turkeys as well.

Turkeytider

Neither of my turkey guns shoot Longbeards straight so I put a scope on both. Problem solved.

This. Put a scope or red dot on. Big proponent of an optic for turkey guns. Pick a choke...pick a good turkey shell....dial that puppy in to POA/POI. No muss, no fuss, no worries.

It's most likely your eye sight. try a Burris fire or an EO tech.

I had the same trouble, was not the gun it was my eye sight, I've been a bead guy my whole life, my eye's finally got the better of it.

An easy check is to shoot your firearm from a gun vise. I bet out of the vise it shoots straight.

This is what convinced me, it was not the gun but me.

JP536

I bought the Carlson’s longboard choke and longboard shells in 3” 2 years ago. I wasn’t thrilled about the price of the longboard shells but got caught in the hype. Couldn’t get a decent pattern. I swapped back to the Winchester double x’s and held a killing pattern out to 55 yards.