New Marion County Record - Butch Moore

cowboyron

Dang Man what a buck and to think I hunted 4 miles out of Buena Vista on SR 26. A whole 2 times but I aint seen nutt'un like that. Maybe I should spend more time on the lease next year. ;)

CAL

Just for the record.Success from dog hunting isn't just getting your gun and taking a stand!There is much more to it than that.A good dog hunter first has to know the lay of the land.He must also be able to read what his dogs are telling him.He must know where the regular crossings are also and position himself in the proper place at these crossings .Fellas,deer being run by dogs are not just hopping thru the woods waiting to get shot.The deers instincts are in full swing.Everything an animal knows is in force and working.Most times when a deer crosses a road running from dogs he will ease up on that road and check things out before showing himself.Deer almost always run into the wind which also gives them a great advantage.A deer is many, many times more wary ahead of dogs as they are most times from 150 yds.to as much as a couple of miles ahead.This gives them time to do all of the checking.
I know we could argue this point forever but a good dog hunter has many times more work to do than a stillhunter.Knowing the lay of the land for miles around and the regular crossings in all those miles.Being able to tell how far the dogs are behind the deer is important.A good dog hunter can also 90% of the time predict what kind of deer the dogs are after.Does run different from bucks.Does have a tendency to run in small ten acre circles trying to fool the dogs.An old buck such as Butch killed will get up with the next county on his mind and go towards it.That deer could very easily be 10 to 20 minutes ahead of the pack and maybe two miles.I have in my dog hunting days witnessed where a smart old buck walks across a road rather than running,he would be that far ahead!Another thing big deer will do is go to the largest beaver pond and get in it.They very well know the race is over when that happens.
There is no telling how much Butches deer weighed before the rut either.

BANDERSNATCH

Having hunted on a dog club for over 10 years I learned some things too. I will agree with you on that, typically, the more mature bucks tend to be much more careful when trying to get away from the dogs. On numerous occasions I've seen them run parallel to a road rather than cross it. Sometimes it would seem as if they just would not come out of the woods.

The speed that the deer are running also seemed to depend on what type of dogs we were using. Beagles ----- the deer would just be loping along. Walkers --- the deer would be in high gear and would run forever!

Here are the negatives that I got from dog hunt the club I was on.

1) Nepotism and Cronyism abounded!!!! The huntmaster's favorite people were always at the prime crossings! That would burn me up. I asked one time whiy "so and so" always got to be at the 'power line crossing'.... The huntmaster's response was "because they have a dog box and can catch the dogs". I told him...."Those guys (two of them....brothers) weigh 300#s apiece!!!!! they can't run at all!!!" (No offense to you 'calorie challenged guys lol)

2) If I shot at a doe, and hit it and it subsequently ran off....they had no interest in looking for it. It got so bad that I would always say "It had horns!". :)

3) I've seen some of the worst arguments over who got the deer.... Was it the first person to put a good shot on him? The last?

these are just a few things that I experienced....not to mention dogs on other people's property!!!!

Bandy

Last edited:

Madsnooker

I have dog hunted some in my younger days. All I can say is evey single time It was the same no matter were it was.

The ring leader would show everyone the layout of the block getting pushed and set everyone up accordingly. It allways seemed the same old guys got the best spots and can you believe it, got the best bucks. ::huh:

In the few years I was involved I did not see much hunting skills needed. I'm not saying there are not dog hunters that have great woodsman skills but for the most part the only thing needed was the dogs to push the deer your way and then you make a good shot when they crossed the road, field opening or whatever.

As far as the skills to know were the deer would normally run only meant you had pushed the same block more than once. After that you are an expert on that particular block.

The only reason that Butch shot that monster is becuase the dogs pushed him out and not becuase skills were involved. If Butch was home sick that day some other lucky hunter would have been standing in the same spot.

This is not to take anything away from Butch as I'm sure he is a fine hunter that just happened to get his biggest buck on a dog hunt. ;)

WildBuck

Congrats to Butch on an awsome deer. It does not matter to me "as long as it was legal" how he killed it. That is still an awsome deer.

meriwether john

man, what would he have been in a year!! ::ke:

sorry guys just couldn't resist :D

AWESOME BUCK BY ANY METHOD

I enjoyed dog hunting --- after all aren't some of you coon,quail,rabbit hunters. The chased deer dosen't always find a load of buckshot.

deersled

people use dogs to hunt rabbits, quail, etc. nobody complains! I think i may be detecting a little "antler envy" here. You say "peecan", I say " picon". It seems most big buck stories in gon are just blind luck anyways. It's all hunting and we should not criticize others for how they do it ( as long as its legal). Stick together, fellas. nice buck, good hunt (period).

Great Buck

I am also a hunter that has hunted with and without dogs. I promise you that it is a whole lot easier to kill a deer still hunting than it is to kill one ahead of dogs. I only still hunt now due to my job, but I had rather kill a doe ahead of dogs than I had a buck out of a tree. A dog hunter can also ask? How much skill does it take to shoot a deer out of a condo with a rifle/scope standing still at 100 yards? As long as it is legal!!! Have at it. I can also promise you that I would rather have that deer on my wall knowing I killed it ahead of dogs than out of a tree...

Wolfhound

Butch's Monster Buck

Just wanted to chime in on the kill of a lifetime for Butch. I was hunting that day with Butch and it was my dogs that were running the deer. We had run that deer the previous day and saw him crossing a clear cut. We never got a shot and he got away. We ran the same block the next day, near a beaver pond (great point whoever made that!) and he ran almost the same way he did the previous day. I have a pack of beagles and redbones and they were running about as hard as I have ever heard them. The deer was only about 100 yards ahead of them and the deer did walk out in the road just as someone suggested. The point I wanted to make is that Butch is not one of the "chosen one's" in our club and he was on one of the best stands. In our club, we share who get's the best stands and normally we have just enough to cover all the good stands. I just wanted to say my two cents worth. Let's not take away from a monster buck that is now the county record in Marion County. Happy hunting to all!

Madsnooker

I hope nobody took what I had to say wrong. I am happy for Butch. I have never been the jealous type and it doesn't bother me one bit when someone else shoots a big buck. Actually, I like seeing all the big bucks harvested. Makes me feel good to know I'm hunting were I have the chance at such animals.

My only point was I just don't feel dog hunting takes some great skill to do. I have done both also and there is no question it is easier to harvest deer in front of dogs. Why do you think on average in places dog hunting is allowed (S.C.) that the average buck taken is 1.5 years old. If it was so hard to kill bucks running dogs than that would not be the case. The fact is 99% of the bucks killed running dogs in S.C. when I participated were little 6 and 8 pointers. Very rarely was a mature buck taken. Matter of fact most of the time a big buck was taken it would be a block that had never been dog hunted or it had been a few years.

Again, I have no problem with dog hunting as long as it's legal and absolutely do not look down on someone that kills a buck doing it. ;)

44YearDeerDogHunter

Still hunting produces more deer taken.

In reply to your South Carolina dog hunting
experience.

Let the facts show differ > :)

Marion County, Georgia not S.C.
The exact location of Butchs' Marion Co. Ga.
record buck was taken where dog hunting has
been carried on by generations each ad every year
on a regular basis since 1946.

As per total of 16 days dog hunting, only 6 deer
were taken, 3/bucks--3 does; by the entire group.
As we are all aware , the same # of days still
hunting by an entire group would and will produce
several times more deer taken.

The fact sure speaks for its'self, no doubt.
The real ethics of dog hunting >
Fair Chase, Hunting not Killing.

Last edited:

Timberman

Pretty weak that anyone would insinuate that such a fine animal was taken in a manner that one could hardly call sporting, as compared to whacking him out of a shooting house or buddy stand eating grass in a greenfield. ::huh:

Flat out nice buck and I guarantee he parted the bushes with style! :)

Huntsman.45

I must say a mighty fine deer!

As far as dog hunting or still hunting I prefer still hunting because I usually can hit one when their standing still! Never harvested one while dog hunting, But I do still enjoy a good dog hunt when possible!!

AGAIN A GREAT DEER BY ANY STANDARDS!!

:yeah:

Madsnooker

44yeardeerdoghunter,

What I said had nothing to do with ethics or fairchase.
I also never said a trophy buck could not be taken were dog hunting has taken place. I just gave you facts about S.C. and yes they are facts.

The fact you only shot 6 deer in 18 days probably has more to do with deer density, if not, then only 3 factors come into play and that is, dogs didn't do a good job of pushing deer, poor shooting or not enough hunters to cover block being pushed. ;)

My only point was IN MY EXPERIENCE it took no skill. I was simply put out in a specific spot and then waited on the dogs. No deer hunting skills were required. The only skill needed was making a good shot and with buck shot was not to tough.

Not trying to start trouble or compare this to any other type of hunting just stating my experiences. ;)

Latest posts