New Old School

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Tied up a bunch of old-school northwoods wet fly/streamer patterns to try this year on the local streams. Figured it's something the fish never see nowadays. In reading about the early days of fly fishing here in the Smokies, these were the type of flies a lot of folks fished, and they caught a lot of good fish. I'm guessing they'll still work now, and not be the same old that the fish are used to. Updated them a little with some coneheads and a bunch of lead wire weight to adapt them to fast streams instead of stillwater lakes and ponds, but the patterns are pretty true to history otherwise. Both in size 6.

Top fly is a Missionary streamer, supposed to be deadly on rainbows.

Bottom fly is a Woods Special, supposed to be one of the best big brook trout flies in Maine. Interested to see if our southern specks will want to eat it too. Maybe that footlong speck?

oldstreamers.jpg

Cmp1

BANNED
Beautiful craftsmanship,,,,nice,,,,I gotta learn to fly fish,,,,

If you were gonna throw a spinner for trout,,,,what colors would you recommend?roostertails,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful craftsmanship,,,,nice,,,,I gotta learn to fly fish,,,,

If you were gonna throw a spinner for trout,,,,what colors would you recommend?roostertails,,,,
Naw, you notice how sloppy your tying is when you take pics. :bounce: The fish don't care, though.

I spinner fish a good bit. I hate Roostertails. Too light, blades don't spin right, and I just never did much good with them.

After nearly fifty years of spinner fishing and tens of thousands of trout, here's what I use, best first.:

Blue Fox super vibrax, #1 and #2, gold blade, plain treble with no dressing or fuzzy stuff. Hands down the best,

Mepps Aglia, #0-#2, gold blade, undressed treble, cut the red plastic sleeve off. Almost as good as the Blue Fox, just a little lighter.

Panther Martin #4, gold blade and black body with yellow dots.

Those are the only spinners I use for trout, ever.

If I need a limit of trout and I need them quick, I'll pick up the spinning rod and tie that Blue Fox on, and you can about heat the grease before you leave. :)

Cmp1

BANNED
Naw, you notice how sloppy your tying is when you take pics. :bounce: The fish don't care, though.

I spinner fish a good bit. I hate Roostertails. Too light, blades don't spin right, and I just never did much good with them.

After nearly fifty years of spinner fishing and tens of thousands of trout, here's what I use, best first.:

Blue Fox super vibrax, #1 and #2, gold blade, plain treble with no dressing or fuzzy stuff. Hands down the best,

Mepps Aglia, #0-#2, gold blade, undressed treble, cut the red plastic sleeve off. Almost as good as the Blue Fox, just a little lighter.

If I need a limit of trout and I need them quick, I'll pick up the spinning rod and tie that Blue Fox on, and you can about heat the grease before you leave. :)
Thanks,,,,I've got a couple Blue fox,but bigger,,,,several mepps,,,,
I will definitely give them a shot,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks,,,,I've got a couple Blue fox,but bigger,,,,several mepps,,,,
I will definitely give them a shot,,,,
I used to use #3 Blue Fox spinners to catch big browns in high, stained water. I've probably caught more brown trout over 20" on BF spinners that everything else put together.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Both of those look like they'd be deadly on shoal bass down here!
I'll try them on the smallmouth in my backyard river, too.

Cmp1

BANNED
I used to use #3 Blue Fox spinners to catch big browns in high, stained water. I've probably caught more brown trout over 20" on BF spinners that everything else put together.
I'll put up a Pic of the ones I've got,,,,

Trying to talk my buddy into letting me use is 5wt,,,,it's just collecting dust,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Be warned-fly fishing is addictive. There's nothing like it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those look good and ort to catch em' a sight. I'm guilty myself of not using wets enough.
Yep, I get into dry fly and nymph modes, strip a streamer now and then when the creek gets up and dingy. Trying to make myself try some new stuff now and then.

whitetailfreak

I just came around Little River from Sugarlands to Townsend, and below the Sinks was screaming for a muddler minner.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I just came around Little River from Sugarlands to Townsend, and below the Sinks was screaming for a muddler minner.
I tied up some Kraft's Klawdads last year, and caught a bunch of smallmouth on them. I hit Cataloochee one day when the water was high and dingy, and tried one of them. I had I bet nearly a dozen 16"-20" browns come out and follow them, but wouldn't eat. Finally hooked one nice one, but he broke me off on a submerged limb. I gotta work on that one, too. I think those had a bit too much flash.

ryanh487

What body color on that blue fox?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Gold.

ryanh487

I'll have to try a few of those. Just bought some hiking boots and if this rain will ever stop for 5 minutes I'll be venturing into the mountains with the ultralight before too long.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to try a few of those. Just bought some hiking boots and if this rain will ever stop for 5 minutes I'll be venturing into the mountains with the ultralight before too long.
This is the one you want. #1 for most creeks, #0 for really small creeks, #2 for bigger stained water and big browns:

61f63JRGCzL._SX425_.jpg

Bream Pole

Thanks on the spinner info and those streamers look great.
My last trout fishing trip was on the Toccoa River at the suspended bridge. Caught my limit of nice stream raised rainbows on a small rooster tail, but agree totally on your comments.