New Plot Pics and plant ID question?

I’ve been putting miles on the truck driving the 5.5 hours every few weeks to work on my new farm in Pulaski county. Never enough time to work till I have to go home to my real job! Anyways here’s a few updates of the plots I got planted at the end of May. All of this ground I’m planting is old field type although there is lots of arrowleaf clover throughout.

This plot is a mix of Aeschynomene, Alice Clover and sunn hemp. To plant I just broadcasted the seed mix with some fertilizer and sprayed the heavy cover of perennial rye that was in the area. Few weeks after germination I spread some more fertilizer and it’s gotten good rain. 8AEA4658-8703-46D7-8977-D284E767FEE5.jpegDeer and turkey (with poults!) seem to be using it every day.
67C98EFC-2A0F-4DCF-84B8-AC5067861674.jpeg

I planted a 3 acre field in a mix of WGF Sorghum and Soybeans a few weeks ago and it has germinated well although there’s quite a bit on grasses in the field. Not sure if the sorghum and beans will get above the grass enough to shade them out or if the grasses will win and stunt the sorghum and beans. Guess I’ll have to wait and see. Deer haven’t seemed to find the beans yet but there is a lot of AG nearby.
3BBA6C6F-8910-4A73-8D98-9183AFCF4782.jpeg
Gobbler passing through the field. Hoping the Sorghum makes some grain to feed the turkey this fall.

AFA2B4DB-8591-4B29-959A-94B00DC8D74A.png

Finally this past weekend I planted two different fields of RR forage beans in two different soil types with two different planting methods. Trying to learn what works best for future plantings. I know it’s late to be planting beans but maybe they’ll be the last ones that are green come harvest time and be a nice draw.

This one I had burned down with gly in may, disked in lime and fertilizer, spread seed and dragged it to cover and pack with the expanded metal gate/ramp from my trailer. Works pretty dang well. It’s in some fairly heavy clay soil on top of my little hill.
667ECAB5-03C8-4E7E-981F-4E30A30AA2E9.jpeg

This other plot I sprayed the waist high vegetation with Gly, broadcast the RR beans with fertilizer and lime, then dragged it in with the gate a few times till it was all matted down. I ended up bush hogging what was left standing up and it seemed to create a nice thatch covering the packed in seed. This soil is down hill and is a lot less clay and bit more sandy.
A99D019B-313D-46A7-B180-A728C481D4A6.jpeg

Last but certainly not least (in my turkey obsessed opinion) I finally got my chufa seed in the ground. This is 1.5 acres adjacent to the throw and mow beans I planted at the bottom of the hill. I had disked it once, sprayed what came up. When I got back up this weekend it had greened back up with what I think is nutsedge. Really wanting to get seed in the ground this weekend I redisked it before broadcasting seed/fertilizer/lime and dragging it in. I’m worried the nutsedge is going to come back and don’t think there is anything that will kill that without killing the chufa?
2C1AC789-B241-40C3-9592-739C5E71FEAF.jpeg

Now I’m done with plantings until September, although I’m planning on mowing lots of arrowleaf clover that has gone to seed in a few weeks when I get back up there. That brings me to the plant ID I need y’alls help with. The broadleaf plant in the foreground of the chufa plot pic. Growing alongside ragweed and the arrowleaf clover in most of the fields. Next pic it is to the right of the tractor. Not the greatest pics sorry.
F901DFC1-6153-42B9-BA41-1EEC78206863.jpeg

Having more fun than should be allowed working on my new place!

Attachments

• 28D2B798-AAB1-4FAC-8E2A-B2A3EFA6410A.jpeg
    28D2B798-AAB1-4FAC-8E2A-B2A3EFA6410A.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 8

Gaswamp

Looks like a lovely place