New Rifle suggestions

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
We all have a budget to work within but I get a little sentimental in these deals. This is likely the gun he will hand to your grandson.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/79536/ruger+american+308+win+black+synthetic+6903

So, I’d stretch my budget look for one of these in .308.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/83151/ruger+amer-s+243+all+wthr+mtss
I know what you mean. I figure the future grandson will get my son's 1st rifle, the H&R handi-rifle.

Dub

Just me, but id hunt down a used Ruger M77 Compact in .308. 16.5" barrell and he can tote it for life. They're easy to find in the Hawkeye build. Fine rifle.

His son is full grown man-size, though. Taller than most dudes on here.

Granted...I used to be 6'4" and would on occasion tote my son's youth model 7mm08 on long walk hunts when I had a climber to carry, too. :rofl:

I've got the Ruger I mentioned and also a Win Model 70 Carbine. Neither are considered youth rifles. They are built to be compact, which they are and I tote them a ltl every year. They are definitely easy to handle.

Reactions: Dub

lonewolf247

I totally agree that in it's price range, the Weatherby Vanguard is likely tops. I purchased two Vanguard II carbines in .308 to give as gift rifles in 2016 & 2017. Both were quality rifles and very accurate. (y)

Yes I remember seeing one of the rifles you posted as a gift rifle! It was really set up nice as a combo. Someone got a really good rifle, and for such a good cause!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I just looked at the Weatherby Vanguard on Academy Sports website. $499. rifle only.

GregoryB.

I have 2 Mossberg Rifles and have no complaints. They both shoot as well as any of the other 20 plus center fire ifles I own.

Reactions: Dub

Buckman18

I’d get the Patriot before the axis. The trigger on the Patriot is very very good.

grady white

I vote Ruger American for the price range ...the aftermarket support for them is growing by the day and will probably have the most aftermarket support in the long run, Magpul and Boyds also make a great aftermarket stock for the RA and trigger upgrades are available too. I don't own one but know many people that do and they are all described as very accurate and has a tang safety to boot ...I do own two RA rimfires and very satisfied with them. Heck of a gun for the money with a fast growing aftermarket support. There is a reason that they are so popular !

furtaker

I just looked at the Weatherby Vanguard on Academy Sports website. $499. rifle only.
I think you and he would both be happy with the Vanguard if you can swing an extra 100 bucks. They are solid, good shooting rifles without a bunch of plastic on them.

spencer12

With your two choices listed I would get the Savage. For my personal favorite I'd go with a Browning X-Bolt.

lonewolf247

I think you and he would both be happy with the Vanguard if you can swing an extra 100 bucks. They are solid, good shooting rifles without a bunch of plastic on them.

I agree it’s worth a little extra up front now, to have a solid rifle built to last a lifetime. I bought one on sale years ago for my son’s first rifle. It’s a .308 youth rifle, which my son used to take about 20 whitetail bucks before he moved up to a full size rifle.

I’ll post a link down below to their website, to see just how many different stock configurations it’s offered in. Whether you buy the entry level composite version, or the top of the line, Lazerguard, your getting the same exact action.

Truth be known, up until recently, I’d say the Vanguard was every bit as good of a rifle as the Mark V, it just didn’t carry the stigma of an elite rifle as the Mark V did. Since then the Mark V has be redesigned with a better trigger, and other improvements, because past models didn’t even offer an MOA guarantee as the Vanguard.
All of mine are just working man’s hunting rifles, .

http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/vanguard.html

Attachments

• 09720007-BF51-41ED-904D-4DEF2F35A9F6.png
    09720007-BF51-41ED-904D-4DEF2F35A9F6.png
    486.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 177C9E14-E0C6-4551-96FD-56C7F018C211.jpeg
    177C9E14-E0C6-4551-96FD-56C7F018C211.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

biggdogg

Going on the choices you have offered, I would go with the Savage although I would take a look at the model 10 as well. They aren't much more with a scope included, and to be honest, one without the Accu-trigger wouldn't be a deal breaker. My son has had a Savage model 10 in .243 for about 12 years now and it is easily the most accurate rifle in my safe. It is the base package gun without the Accu-trigger and the only thing I've done to it is replace the scope a few years ago.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I just love the accutrigger !!!

thumper523

For a gun that will last a lifetime and accurate, I have 2 choices.
Browning A-Bolt 3 or the T/C Compass. I own both and love the detachable magazines and 60 degree bolt throw. Both have adjustable triggers too.If you're not stuck on the 308, look at the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Also, I use the Nikon Prostaff 5 scopes. Great combo.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
My son has a birthday coming up & I'm thinking of getting him a new rifle.
Probably another 308 caliber.
Looking at Savage Axis & Mossberg Patriot.
What are yall's thoughts? Pros & cons?
Thanks.
I would go with a Savage great shooting guns.
Walmart has good prices on them.

biker13

Savage axis in 6.5 Creedmoor.Flat shooter non existent recoil and ammo is available pretty cheap.