New Rifle suggestions

Brad Lord

I got my son a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor and he loves it. Very little recoil and the two deer he took with it last season made it a combined 15 yards.

Reactions: Dub

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Gonna stick with 308 cal.
Recoil isn't an issue, he's almost 15 & been shooting a 308 since he was 8 years old.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Full size. He's almost 15 & almost 606. Lol.
I'm wanting to replace his 1st rifle, a H&R single shot 308.
He & I both like the 308 cal. He's killed all of his deer with that caliber.

Budget under $400.

Savage Model 11 with the Accutrigger. Mine in 308 is a sho nuff tack driver right out of the box.

transfixer

I don't have any plans to buy another bolt action, but if I did it would be a Savage, I've got friends that own them and I don't think they can be beat when it comes to out of the box accuracy,,, definitely not in that price range.

Stumpsitter

4 HAND, which ever rifle you decide on go to grabagun.com. they will beet anyones price and ship to your local licensed gun dealer. You wont be disapointed.

Lead Poison

Ruger American has a lot of good reviews and is very reasonably priced. In fact, I saw somewhere they were selling a rifle combo with a Vortex Crossfire for $519
Tikka T3x my first choice otherwise
The only Savage I like is a 10/110, 11/111 or 16/116 series.
Weatherby Vanguard
Howa 1500

I've seen reviews of the Mossberg Patriot and I did NOT like the very thin receiver portion along the side of the ejection port.
Watch the video "Modern Budget Rifles" on youtube.

Last edited:

drumbum77

Banned
Between those two rifles, I'd go with the Patriot. My son has one chambered in 30-06 and it's extremely accurate. My daughter shoots a Ruger American and it's also a fine rifle. VERY accurate! Personally I'm not a fan of the Savage Axis.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
My son has a birthday coming up & I'm thinking of getting him a new rifle.
Probably another 308 caliber.
Looking at Savage Axis & Mossberg Patriot.
What are yall's thoughts? Pros & cons?
Thanks.
I have an axis and it is a great shooting rifle. My only dislike is the magazine. It is partially plastic, including what holds it into the stock and it did not take much to break the clip that holds it into place.

DeoVindice

Of the two you mentioned, I’d say the Patriot by a long shot!

If your looking for other suggestions, I’d say look at the full size Weatherby Vanguard/Howa. I personally think it’s the best bolt action under $800 or so.

I bought my son one in the .308 youth model, and it was an absolute hammer on deer. He’s outgrown that length now, and even though it comes with the spacers, we chose to leave it as a youth rifle, for other kids to borrow.

They come in several different stock options, but all are built on the same solid action, even the youth rifle.

The Vanguard is outstanding. I cannot find a single deficiency. The stock trigger is amazing, and the build quality overall, along with the Mauser style action makes it a winner from top to bottom. Laser beam accuracy. It's a lifetime rifle.

^^This coming from a tried and true, dedicated Browning fan boy.

For under $400 I would be looking at the Ruger American. Of the options you stated, I like the Patriot. A friend of mine bought one for his son in .243 and it is extremely accurate and reliable. I'm all fairness, though, I have no experience with the Axis, so I cannot comment about that rifle.

lonewolf247

Ruger American has a lot of good reviews and is very reasonably priced. In fact, I saw somewhere they were selling a rifle combo with a Vortex Crossfire for $519
Tikka T3x my first choice otherwise
The only Savage I like is a 10/110, 11/111 or 16/116 series.
Weatherby Vanguard
Howa 1500

I've seen reviews of the Mossberg Patriot and I did NOT like the very thin receiver portion along the side of the ejection port.
Watch the video "Modern Budget Rifles" on youtube.

I would conclude pretty much the same as the guy in the video. I would have my first and second choice, the Weatherby Vanguard and the Tikka, and separate them from the other rifles, which IMO are true budget rifles.

Among the budget choices, I would say the Ruger American, is more thought out, and better built, than the other choices. I would put the Savage Axis at the bottom, and that particular Remington slightly above.

The Mossberg Patriot, in hindsight of the video is really a big let down! It’s a shame, because it really has some good features that the other budget rifles don’t offer. It’s unfortunate because it appears to be built on a weak action. Maybe a redesign in the future could help redeem itself.

Bottom line, I still can’t recommend the Savage axis, it’s just built cheap and a disposable rifle. IMO

My advise is, if you absolutely have to save a few dollars on your purchase, the only rifle I’d recommend on the table would be the Ruger American, although I still don’t think it’s a lifetime trouble free choice.

Bottom line, my recommendation is the same, the best choice is the Weatherby Vanguard, for a lifetime Rifle, under $500.

4HAND

Staff member
I would conclude pretty much the same as the guy in the video. I would have my first and second choice, the Weatherby Vanguard and the Tikka, and separate them from the other rifles, which IMO are true budget rifles.

Among the budget choices, I would say the Ruger American, is more thought out, and better built, than the other choices. I would put the Savage Axis at the bottom, and that particular Remington slightly above.

The Mossberg Patriot, in hindsight of the video is really a big let down! It’s a shame, because it really has some good features that the other budget rifles don’t offer. It’s unfortunate because it appears to be built on a weak action. Maybe a redesign in the future could help redeem itself.

Bottom line, I still can’t recommend the Savage axis, it’s just built cheap and a disposable rifle. IMO

My advise is, if you absolutely have to save a few dollars on your purchase, the only rifle I’d recommend on the table would be the Ruger American, although I still don’t think it’s a lifetime trouble free choice.

Bottom line, my recommendation is the same, the best choice is the Weatherby Vanguard, for a lifetime Rifle, under $500.
Good video. Thanks.

4HAND

Staff member
I looked at a Remington 700 rifle/scope combo at the local Walmart this evening.
$357.00

furtaker

I looked at a Remington 700 rifle/scope combo at the local Walmart this evening.
$357.00
Remington's quality control is not what it used to be but the 700 is still hands down my favorite rifle. There is a reason they have been so popular with the military and hunters alike for so many years. If you do get that rifle, you will want to replace the cheap scope and rings pronto.

I'll still take a Remington 700 over one of these new plastic rifles every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

4HAND

Staff member
I was surprised at the price. I know the 700 has been a reliable rifle for years.
It was a good feeling gun.
I also noticed it loads like my Savage, no detachable magazine.

furtaker

I was surprised at the price. I know the 700 has been a reliable rifle for years.
It was a good feeling gun.
I also noticed it loads like my Savage, no detachable magazine.
Yes, Walmart carries the ADL version which has no hinged floorplate or detachable magazine. Academy usually has them for $379 every day and sometimes $349-359 around hunting season. I'm not a fan of a detachable magazine on a hunting rifle. I like my rifle in one piece.