New rifle

ucfireman

So I want a new rifle. I shoot a Marlin 336 in 35 rem with 170 (I think I know its not the 200) grain bullets. I like the recoil.
I want a bolt action for longer ranges and just because.
I had a 30-06 years ago and hated the recoil. I want something that doesn't make me flinch.
I don't shoot a ton and don't know a lot of folks to try theirs out.
So 243, 6.5, 270 or 308? I wont be shooting 500yrds or elk(maybe) or bear. I hunt Deer or hogs and 200yds max. I do want availability of ammo s I don't reload.
Thoughts? I will probably be purchasing a Savage Axis XP or a Mossberg Patriot, I will not spend huge money.

nmurph

I have 700's in .270 and 30-06. There's not a noticeable difference in recoil bw those calibers (and I would think the .308 would be similar). I also have a .243 and it kicks like a pellet gun, at least compared to the others mentioned above. I'm intrigued by something in the 6.5 range, but not necessarily the CM. The real advantage the CM does have over other similar calibers is the ready availability of ammo as compared to other 6.5-class calibers.

Robert28

Well, from the requirements you've listed (200 yards and in, hogs and deer, don't reload, cheap ammo, etc) I would say 308 is right up your alley. Checks all those boxes AND doesn't have the recoil of the 30-06 but cheap to shoot and will be great for hogs too! Those Mossberg Patriots are a well kept secret. You can get the nice wood stock one for $450 or less. Nice gun!

Check this one out. Comes with a scope or you can get without for like $20 less.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/97062/mossberg_patriot_22_308_ws_wal

Robert28

I have 700's in .270 and 30-06. There's not a noticeable difference in recoil bw those calibers. I also have a .243 and it kicks like a pellet gun, at least compared to the others mentioned above. I'm intrigued by something in the 6.5 range, but not necessarily the CM. The real advantage the CM does have over other similar calibers is the ready availability of ammo as compared to other 6.5-class calibers.
Check out the 260. Remington makes it in the 700 sps and it's a sweet setup!

transfixer

If you're concerned with recoil then go with a .243, ammo should be readily available most anywhere, more than capable for deer and hogs, they're just a joy to shoot !

wareagle700

If I were in the market for that kind of rifle and price range I would no doubt pick up a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor over the others. I can't buy a Savage or Mossberg, it just doesnt feel right.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
We have both 30-06 and 308. Not any difference in recoil.

Your post is a little confusing where you have (maybe) after elk and before bear.???

killerv

Y'all must be shooting low recoil 3006 loads....saying the recoil of a 3006 is the same as a 308 or even a 270 is a stretch. I know bullet weight is involved but even then. 3006 is usually a step above the others mentioned in the recoil department in most all cases.

270 can still pack a little punch in a lighter rifle. While I still have my 270, I've moved to a 708 in recent years and its as sweet as it gets.

Big7

The Oracle
X 2 on the .243. Folks kill elk all the time with them. Plenty for "around here".

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you're concerned with recoil then go with a .243, ammo should be readily available most anywhere, more than capable for deer and hogs, they're just a joy to shoot !

X 2 What transfixer said.

baddave

second on the .243 mossberg patriot ...

nmurph

Y'all must be shooting low recoil 3006 loads....saying the recoil of a 3006 is the same as a 308 or even a 270 is a stretch. I know bullet weight is involved but even then. 3006 is usually a step above the others mentioned in the recoil department in most all cases.

270 can still pack a little punch in a lighter rifle. While I still have my 270, I've moved to a 708 in recent years and its as sweet as it gets.

Not saying that there's no difference between a 270 and a 30 ought 6 in recoil but it is not that significant. To me, there is a significant difference in a 270 and a 243.

Reactions: Dub

280 Man

Banned
Speaking of recoil, recoil is not about all about how much powder is burned nor bullet weight. Heavy recoil can be mitigated a good bit by better stock design, its not always the caliber that is causing the unpleasant recoil.

I know you didn't ask but IMO, the best "bang for your buck" is the Ruger American, and my favorite short action is the 7 08. I've had several over the years. I bought one for my grandson, last Dec, and it'll shoot any bullet I've fed it, that includes both 140, 150 gr Nosler BT's and Partitons along with 140 gr Sierra GK's, and 139 and 154 gr Hornady SST's and regular spire points with 100 yd MOA accuracy of most, with some well under MOA with handloaded ammo.

In all actuality and to the ranges you have said, any of your choices will get job done. Its simply what you like the best....

I tried to find some more targets but this is all I could put my hand on rather quickly..

Attachments

• P_20180809_150703_HDR.jpg
    P_20180809_150703_HDR.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 28

ucfireman

We have both 30-06 and 308. Not any difference in recoil.

Your post is a little confusing where you have (maybe) after elk and before bear.???
I meant that I dont hunt elk or bear now but would like to have something capable if I ever decided to. Would probably be in the east if I were that lucky for the elk and bear would be SE so no need for 500 yard shots.

I do like the patriot in wood, Have been thinking of the synthetic in the others just to dip in camo and not have to worry about scratches etc.
The 3006 I had I used 180 grain and didn't like it, so if 270 is close or the 308 is similar I will probably go with the 243. I just know it seems everyone is on the 6.5 Creedmoor kick, a little bigger and heavier bullets available, should translate to more energy? Without too much recoil?
Thanks guys for the links.
I had seen the mossberg for 499 with vortex 400 with other scope. Nice and tight bolt. A little heavy but thats wood and it looks and feels nice.
I had forgotten about the marlin looks interesting. Is there much slop in the bolt?
I didnt like the ruger when I looked at it- didnt fit me.
Have not seen a TC in person, dont want a 783.

ucfireman

I had though about a larger caliber with a muzzle break but I dont know if I really want to go that way. and a nice butt pad

Reactions: Dub