New Savage Axis Issues

medic1

I just bought my son a new Savage Axis in .30-06. Shot it in the backyard just to make sure it shoots. We have not taken it to the range yet. We discovered these three issues and would like some advise:

1) The bolt is very stiff to cock. Pulling back and ejecting the shell are fine. Can or should the lugs be lubed?

2) The magazine clip is a pain to detach. We had to use a screwdriver to pop it out. Once in, it seems to be fine but you cannot get it detached by just pushing in the tab as designed.

3) The ammo we used is Remington Core Lokt, the same ammo we have both used in other guns for years without any issue. The first shot with this gun was a misfire. The primer was indented but no fire. He chambered 3 more shells and they fired as expected. Was that first attempt a problem with the firing pin or the shell?

Thanks for your help

transfixer

I've been tempted to buy an Axis more than once, a good friend has one and has nothing but good things to say about it, and he owns about every other bolt action there is. It wouldn't be unusual that the action needs lubing up well, and a few cycles to break it in, I would use Gunslick if you can find it, its a graphite grease in a small tube, works greak for situations like that.
The magazine ? don't know, you might contact Savage customer service and see what they say, more than likely they will send you one out.

I've not heard anything good about Remington ammo in recent years, I've heard of others having issues with misfires, in fact there is a thread on here somewhere about problems with Remington ammo, personally I would switch to another brand, Hornady if given the choice.

deast1988

The bolt needs to be well oiled and broken in.

If the Magazine is really hard to remove see if you can load and unload as a blind magazine bolt gun would.

Core-lokt unfortunately I've heard reports of them and gray box Winchester's both having misfires. If you had a few in a row I'd be concerned but one shell then the next several Fire I'd say a cartridge issue.

furtaker

What did the indention on the primer look like?

If you know somebody else with an '06 get them to try to fire the cartridge in their rifle and you will have your answer.

Hillbilly stalker

I always clean the action or bolt on a new gun. A lot come with packing grease in them , it works like a hydraulic and slows down the strike. Even if you decide it was bad shells, the grease will be thicker and slow down the firing pin more when it gets cold outside. Pull the bolt out and squirt about half a can of carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner over it. Or better if you break the bolt down and do it. Too much oil or grease is a bad thing.

ryanh487

You couldn't pay me to shoot any ammo from remington right now. Quality control is non-existent and misfires and inconsistent ammo are very common issues right now.

The axis is a good gun, but it is a cheap gun. pull the bolt, soak it down in CLP, and spray down the inside and let it soak as well. Leave it for a good 20 minutes, then wipe it out. Should be noticibly better.

The mag is a pain, but it will break in with use.

Double check the action screws and make sure they are fully tightened before attempting to sight in the rifle.

I bought my ex one in .243 and with a little TLC out of the box it was an awesome rifle. it only cost me $150 with the scope brand new in box from cabelas during a special sale and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

medic1

[QUOTE="ryanh487, post: 11328236, pull the bolt, soak it down in CLP, and spray down the inside and let it soak as well. Leave it for a good 20 [/QUOTE]
What is CFL?

ryanh487

[QUOTE="ryanh487, post: 11328236, pull the bolt, soak it down in CLP, and spray down the inside and let it soak as well. Leave it for a good 20
What is CFL?[/QUOTE]

Breakfree CLP. Comes in a black spray can, it's an awesome gun cleaner and lube. Soaks right into the metal and takes off any grime, residue, or rust present while leaving behind a highly lubed and protected surface.

Robert28

I don’t think it’s an ammo problem, then. The original Axis were known for light primer strikes. I would take it to a gunsmith to have him adjust the primer protrusion depth. If you send it back to Savage that’s most likely what they’re going to do anyways, just depends on how long you want to wait to have a rifle returned vs taking it to a gunsmith and waiting a few mins. I’m 90% sure that’s your issue. The Axis II addressed this issue with the addition of the accu-trigger.

tcward

I just bought my son a new Savage Axis in .30-06. Shot it in the backyard just to make sure it shoots. We have not taken it to the range yet. We discovered these three issues and would like some advise:

1) The bolt is very stiff to cock. Pulling back and ejecting the shell are fine. Can or should the lugs be lubed?

2) The magazine clip is a pain to detach. We had to use a screwdriver to pop it out. Once in, it seems to be fine but you cannot get it detached by just pushing in the tab as designed.

3) The ammo we used is Remington Core Lokt, the same ammo we have both used in other guns for years without any issue. The first shot with this gun was a misfire. The primer was indented but no fire. He chambered 3 more shells and they fired as expected. Was that first attempt a problem with the firing pin or the shell?

Thanks for your help
Shell...Remington is the industry’s worse for this.

Jester896

Senior Clown

are you talking about on an empty chamber or after the round is fired it is hard to open?

A light film of a good gun grease should be applied to the back side of the bolt lugs after a good cleaning

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Like others said, pull the bolt out and clean it really good. My brother bought an axis last year and he had the same issue. After a good cleaning he hasn't had any problems. The mag needs to be worked in a little also. They are cheap guns, and just don't come perfect from factory, but once broke in they get the job done.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had a door that the hinges would squeak no matter what I put on them. They would start to squeak again after a week. I got this stuff in Walmart for a 1.94$ and after spraying the hinges they have not made a squeak in more than one year. I now use it for all my firearms including my Browning BAR. M4 and bolt actions and 1911 with no issues with any of them.

Attachments

• supertech .JPG
    supertech .JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 8

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
One more vote for a good cleaning to include the magazine and magazine well. Afterwards have your son spend one TV show working the bolt, the safety, and the trigger, and another TV show working the magazine in and out.

The cleaning should remove any foreign matter, packing grease, etc. that might be interfering with the rifle. The cycling will wear down any burrs or rough spots left after the machining and manufacturing process.

Have fun with the new rifle.