New to fly fishing

secondseason

Retired Administrator
Chris got me a fly rod for my birthday because I had such a big time this weekend catching the trout even with the Zebco 33.

I have always wanted to try fly fishing and this evening our first trial was tying the leader to the fly line. I finally got it but I had to keep tighting it as I practiced casting (I hope that is the correct term).

Anywho....I'm sure I will have some questions before I ever wet a fly.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Welcome to the addiction! PM sent.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
The casting is almost as fun as the catching. Good luck.

KDarsey

Unicoi Outfitters has a thing called a 'Gilligan Special' it is a half day for 2 people for $200. Instruction and a chance to catch some trophy trout (C&R) I have wanted to try that and it sounds like a good deal and fun too.
Maybe for the other 'half' of you birthday Chris could put both of you on the water.

(google it)

secondseason

Retired Administrator
Unicoi Outfitters has a thing called a 'Gilligan Special' it is a half day for 2 people for $200. Instruction and a chance to catch some trophy trout (C&R) I have wanted to try that and it sounds like a good deal and fun too.
Maybe for the other 'half' of you birthday Chris could put both of you on the water.

(google it)

Thanks we'll look into it. We have a wonderful place to trout fish in Gilmer County. We caught these on just regular old fishing rods (and not even good ones) in a short afternoon:

Attachments

• May24trout.jpg
    May24trout.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 325

Tightliner

Chris got me a fly rod for my birthday because I had such a big time this weekend catching the trout even with the Zebco 33.

I have always wanted to try fly fishing and this evening our first trial was tying the leader to the fly line. I finally got it but I had to keep tighting it as I practiced casting (I hope that is the correct term).

Anywho....I'm sure I will have some questions before I ever wet a fly.

Tie a piece of florescent yarn to the end of your leader and put a circle in your yard as a target. Without a little resistance on the end of your leader it can throw your casting memory off. It will also teach you how to roll the fly over gently, not to mention preventing the whip crack on your back cast (it will ruin a good leader). Remember, your back cast is 99% of the cast, it is essential in putting the line in the proper position for your forward cast to load the rod properly. Once it all falls together you can "feel" a proper cast before it is ever made. "Be one with the rod young grasshopper" :D(Zen and The Art of Fly Casting :rolleyes:).

Later........................................

Last edited:

satchmo

Whip

Tie a piece of flourecent yarn to the end of your leader and put a circle in your yard as a target. Without a little resistance on the end of your leader it can throw your casting memory off. It will also teach you how to roll the fly over gently, not to mention preventing the whip crack on your back cast (it will ruin a good leader). Remember, your back cast is 99% of the cast, it is essential in putting the line in the proper position for your forward cast to load the rod properly. Once it all falls together you can "feel" a proper cast before it is ever made. "Be one with the rod young grasshopper" :D(zen and the art of fly casting :rolleyes:).
Being the fly fishing expert I am ( I saw a river runs through it three times), I got to hear the whip that you are talking about. Enough of a whip to snap the fly off. Secondseason had it down last night pretty good. I don't even think she needs water to have fun with this fly rod.
I got her some more fly fishing stuff today so if anything happens she'll be covered.
Thanks for any advice we can get from you fly junkies. Secondseason is hooked without ever being in the water yet.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Poetry in motion. (Or if you're casting chicken feathers...."Poultry in motion.":D). Have fun.

secondseason

Retired Administrator
Tie a piece of flourecent yarn to the end of your leader and put a circle in your yard as a target. Without a little resistance on the end of your leader it can throw your casting memory off. It will also teach you how to roll the fly over gently, not to mention preventing the whip crack on your back cast (it will ruin a good leader). Remember, your back cast is 99% of the cast, it is essential in putting the line in the proper position for your forward cast to load the rod properly. Once it all falls together you can "feel" a proper cast before it is ever made. "Be one with the rod young grasshopper" :D(zen and the art of fly casting :rolleyes:).

Thank you so much for the information!!!

Handgunner

Being the fly fishing expert I am ( I saw a river runs through it three times), I got to hear the whip that you are talking about. Enough of a whip to snap the fly off. Secondseason had it down last night pretty good. I don't even think she needs water to have fun with this fly rod.
I got her some more fly fishing stuff today so if anything happens she'll be covered.
Thanks for any advice we can get from you fly junkies. Secondseason is hooked without ever being in the water yet.
:rofl:

"seen River runs through it 3 times"

Fine looking mess of trout! Y'all enjoy the fly fishing! When you get ready, I got a pond full of big ol' bream for y'all to fight!

Tightliner

:rofl:

"seen River runs through it 3 times"

Fine looking mess of trout! Y'all enjoy the fly fishing! When you get ready, I got a pond full of big ol' bream for y'all to fight!

Hey........ I OWN a copy! How many creditability points do I earn?:D
Hope I'm round long enough for my hands to become that old and feeble!
Well, just back from DOG (if yall didnt make it, you missed a GREAT event, good job bitteroot!!!!!!)and now off to the Hiwassee to catch the magic hour hatch (praying theres one 2 day:)::;).........

Later...............................................

Last edited:

Tightliner

Give us a report.

Not alot of bug activity:mad:. Kinda figured that B4 I left, way too sunny to stimulate alot of activity. Either fish or take a nap, so I chose the former. A hand full of ephi's and some small tan mayflies (couldnt catch or get close enough to get a positive ID). Some Baetis spinners dropin eggs. Really enjoyed taking a break on the bank watching dragonflies catching emerging duns. Those things are vicious and efficent!

Caught a few fish even though there were VERY few heads rising. # 20 tan hairs ear dropper was the best ticket. caught a few on #22 tan sparkle emergers dropped behind a # 16 hedrickson. Both indicator and dropper took fish. The fish were keyed in on absolutly nothing, the ones I caught were just opportunistic feeders (makes for frustrating afternoon :confused:). But it WAS better than a nap :D.

Later.......................................

secondseason

Retired Administrator
We had a pretty good day Sunday but I didn't catch anything with the fly rod. I tried two different flies and only had a couple of hits. Our group was more successful with worms.

Attachments

• May31 059.jpg
    May31 059.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 253

Meriwether Mike

There is a good beginners fly fishing class taught at KSU by Steve Lamb. He will teach you the basics of equipment, casting and matching the hatch. Have fun with your new hobby!

fishndoc

Learning how to cast a fly rod "on your own" is not easy - usually lots of effort, waving of arms, rod tip slapping the ground in front and behind you... and the tip of the fly line is still lying in the exact same spot on the ground in front of you.
There are some pretty good videos on casting that are helpful, but if you can find a neighbor/ buddy who flyfishes, even just 15 minutes of hands-on instruction can make a big difference.

the KSU course is good, but if you can get away for a long weekend, Henry Williamson up near Sky Valley teaches a great course, and Henry is one of those characters you won't forget - I think the Fish Hawk can link you up with Henry.

Jarred

Learning how to cast a fly rod "on your own" is not easy - usually lots of effort, waving of arms, rod tip slapping the ground in front and behind you... and the tip of the fly line is still lying in the exact same spot on the ground in front of you.
There are some pretty good videos on casting that are helpful, but if you can find a neighbor/ buddy who flyfishes, even just 15 minutes of hands-on instruction can make a big difference.

the KSU course is good, but if you can get away for a long weekend, Henry Williamson up near Sky Valley teaches a great course, and Henry is one of those characters you won't forget - I think the Fish Hawk can link you up with Henry.

You are very right about learning to cast on your own.:rofl: