New to gator hunting

Teh Wicked

Long story short, i got to meet a long lost brother this year and it turns out he is a taxidermist and a rather good one.

He wants to go Gator hunting, but he doesn't live here.

Anyone has any tips to applying for a tag? How hard is it to actually get the tag?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Start here: https://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/quota Create an online profile. Accrue points and use them for whatever zone you'd like to hunt. The more gators, the better the zone, the more points it takes to get drawn for said zone.

Ihunt

It will take at least 5 years to get drawn in most zones.

cowhornedspike

The zone that takes the fewest points (zone 4) also has almost no public water to hunt...there is a reason it is in less demand for permits.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
It will take at least 5 years to get drawn in most zones.

4 points has gotten me into Zone 2 3 times. Hopefully 4 times this year. Fingers crossed.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Zone 2 has a pile of gators. Biguns and litluns.

Ihunt

4 points has gotten me into Zone 2 3 times. Hopefully 4 times this year. Fingers crossed.

Good luck. My wife drew zone 7 two years ago with 4 but I got rejected and had to draw the next year with 5.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Good luck. My wife drew zone 7 two years ago with 4 but I got rejected and had to draw the next year with 5.

I drew Zone 7 my first year hunting gators with 3 so you never know.

Ihunt

I drew Zone 7 my first year hunting gators with 3 so you never know.

Well, I can do a little math. If you look at the amount of tags versus the amount of applicants you can see that 3 points is a mathematical impossibility. It will continue to get worse.

Good luck though. I really hope you draw. My wife and myself have now gone 4 times a piece. Not sure we will ever try to go again.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Well, I can do a little math. If you look at the amount of tags versus the amount of applicants you can see that 3 points is a mathematical impossibility. It will continue to get worse.

Good luck though. I really hope you draw. My wife and myself have now gone 4 times a piece. Not sure we will ever try to go again.

Couldn't be impossible because, again, I drew Zone 7 with 3 points. Was either 2014 or 2015 to my recollection. Still have the tag. Never could get on one. Switched efforts to Zone 2 after that year.

lancek742

It has gotten a lot more difficult to draw with less than four or five and I believe it will just get worse. I was lucky enough to draw zone 9 with just two points in 2015, but now Most of the time 4 won't get it. Good luck. Hope you get one.

Ihunt

Couldn't be impossible because, again, I drew Zone 7 with 3 points. Was either 2014 or 2015 to my recollection. Still have the tag. Never could get on one. Switched efforts to Zone 2 after that year.

True. But since then more and more people have been putting in. I do not have that statistics in front of me but I think the last time I looked there were close to 20,000 people that had put in for gator tags. How many tags are there? Again, I think it’s around 1,000. The math says that it will soon take 10 years IF everyone that has put in continues to do so. Some zones such as 4 are easier and imo not worth it unless you know someone. I’ll try and find the link but in the better zones, drawing with 3 points is a thing of the past.

Ihunt

Ok. I found the statistics. There are 4 zones where according to last years numbers it is still possible to draw with 3 points. Zone 7 is not one of them. I believe they were 4,5,6, and 8.

Good luck with whatever zone you choose. Post pics.

Mark K

Banned
Are the zones in the regulations?
And let’s say I have enough points to draw a tag but could really care less about it, could I take someone and let them do the killing and responsibilities of the after kill and just tag it?

cowhornedspike

Are the zones in the regulations?
And let’s say I have enough points to draw a tag but could really care less about it, could I take someone and let them do the killing and responsibilities of the after kill and just tag it?

Yes. As long as you are in the boat with them you can do that.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Ok. I found the statistics. There are 4 zones where according to last years numbers it is still possible to draw with 3 points. Zone 7 is not one of them. I believe they were 4,5,6, and 8.

Good luck with whatever zone you choose. Post pics.

You were right. Shot down for Zone 2 with 4 points this year. Gators are getting popular like ducks.