New Toy

While I have no serious need for it, I've been yearning for a Browning A-Bolt 12ga for some time now. They had become pretty tough to find online and prices seemed to go up accordingly. Bud's had them on sale a couple years ago, but I didn't jump. I make a point, every so often to check for them online and voila, Cabelas has just recently bought a bunch of NOS A-Bolt 12ga guns.

The prices vary as to which Cabelas store is selling them, but after searching for a good while I found one for $550, reduced from $900. It should be arriving at my FFL soon. So, I'm wondering who here might have some experience with the A-Bolt 12ga. Most I've read about them, say they are typically quite accurate. I'm figuring on topping it with either a Hawke 30mm 1-4x24 with IR or a Sig Sauer Whiskey 5 in 1-5x20, also with IR.

Any advice as to what slugs perform well in it would be appreciated along with what I should be looking for in group sizes at 100 yards (3 shot groups). I'm hoping for 2" groups at 100 yards, with a slug it likes. FWIW, my slug preferences run to Brenneke.

Thanks.

Browning-A-Bolt-In-12-GA_100989613_48419_59B5143B6517A87B.jpg

Lilly001

That's a real handful.
I'm hopeing to get a report when you shoot it.

georgia_home

I’ve got the mossberg similar model 695. Two loads work(ed) well for me.

Brenneke gold. 3”. I think they changed the name several years ago. They are awesome out to 100y. A friend said more. This is full size slug. It has a plastic base for aerodynamics (I guess). Goto the Brenneke site and look for them. Hard to find. Mail order and a little expensive but killer.

The Remington copper solids were great too. 3”. 110 yards. A sabot load, but very good.

Both grouped well. Experiment.

I’ve got the mossberg similar model 695. Two loads work(ed) well for me.

Brenneke gold. 3”. I think they changed the name several years ago. They are awesome out to 100y. A friend said more. This is full size slug. It has a plastic base for aerodynamics (I guess). Goto the Brenneke site and look for them. Hard to find. Mail order and a little expensive but killer.

The Remington copper solids were great too. 3”. 110 yards. A sabot load, but very good.

Both grouped well. Experiment.

Thanks for the info. I read a lot of reviews and found a deal on a Remington Sabot type with 385gr pointed, jacketed bullet and bought several boxes at $6 off per box, and free shipping. I also had previously picked up some Brenneke slugs on sale (full bore and sabot), so I have a bit of a selection to try now.

There is a 3" Brenneke that I'd like to try eventually that looks pretty impressive. I was surprised how very close similar slugs in 2 3/4" and 3" are in muzzle velocity. Some are very close to the same.

0614191542-1.jpg

georgia_home

That’s them I think both Remington and Brenneke changed the names of the product some. That full diameter Brenneke will flat out tear the stuffing out of anything.

Try them and see how they go. My mossy really liked both. They grouped well.

I got that gun for shotgun only area hunts and it was worth it. Been tucked away for a while. But still have the ammo; under the old names.

A scope is nice there too. The package on the mossy had a cheap Simmons, iirc. Wouldn’t have been my first choice, but it is pretty accurate. 1-4x20 I think.

When you sight in, give a report on what you choose and how you do. ??

Thanks for the info. I read a lot of reviews and found a deal on a Remington Sabot type with 385gr pointed, jacketed bullet and bought several boxes at $6 off per box, and free shipping. I also had previously picked up some Brenneke slugs on sale (full bore and sabot), so I have a bit of a selection to try now.

There is a 3" Brenneke that I'd like to try eventually that looks pretty impressive. I was surprised how very close similar slugs in 2 3/4" and 3" are in muzzle velocity. Some are very close to the same.

View attachment 972913

Well, Lookie here at what I went and done yesterday.... It looks to me like the Burris on there might give me an additional 1/2" eye relief, and that's something I like with heavy 12ga slug loads. The one I'm hoping to use is a Sabot with a 385gr bullet @ 1900 FPS. That equates to a warm 45-70 load and pretty much equals the 325gr Leverevolution load at the muzzle for energy, using a .58cal bullet vs a .45 Cal.

thumbnail-188.jpeg

Hard to find gun & That’s a pile of firepower.. I’d probably cringe when I pulled the the trigger ?

I may cringe as well...lol. I figure that it won't be quite as bad as my BLR/.450 that spits a 350gr @ 2100 and weighs 3/4 pound, at least, less than the Browning. We shall see....

Reactions: Dub