New Water... for me

TheTroutWhisperer

Wanted to get out of the heat and crowds so wandered over toward Deep Hole campground thinking I would wade up stream and fish there. I have wondered how it would fish? In a last minute change I decided I would turn into Rock Creek road and attempt to access the Toccoa from round there. I could see the river on my Nav map in the truck and ended up parking where a trail was crossing the road way back in the boonies. As I was walking down the hill I heard lots of voices and quickly realized I was at the Toccoa swinging bridge.. looked around a bit and not a soul fishing. Went up stream a bit and started fishing, fished my way up until the river made a big bend then went up another 100 yards. Lots of tubers and folks in rafts, still no one was fishing. Enjoyed the bikinis :biggrin2: Ended up catching 7 rainbows and missed several. Wonder if there is a chance there could be some nice ones in there? I'm guessing there is private water up stream and perhaps some big ones might make there way down? Really enjoyed fishing this water, 74 degress, the water was cold. Hope to explore more of this area during the summer.

ripplerider

There is private water upstream a couple of miles upstream but theres lots of National Forest land to fish before you get there, more than you could fish in a day. There's at least a mile of public water downstream too.

jeardley

If you continue down the forest service road a little further it comes to a bowl with a trail off to the left. This is where rock creek runs into the river. Would be another good access point to try. I fished up there a bunch over the years. I've caught a few in the 18" range and have seen several much larger fish pulled from that stretch of the river.

Bream Pole

I fished at the bridge years ago with ultra light spinning using a 1/32 oz black rooster tail. I caught what I believe was a small mouth bass that weighed about 1.5 or a little more lbs. and my limit plus one that slipped out of my hand rainbows. All were beautiful stream reared fish ranging from 9-12 inches. I caught all in the first pool as you round the bend from the bridge upstream. I went during the week and didn't see a soul except a young boy in a kayak and his parents that were following him in kayaks and a game warden who checked my license. He said he had come there--walked in from the other side of the bridge--because of rumored dope activity. I got there from the forest service road off of highway 60. beautiful area. I tried another time in late fall, but river was too high to wade. Unfortunately I am too old and unstable on my feet to go there now but have a very pleasant memory.

TheTroutWhisperer

It is tough wading for sure. I stumbled around most of the time on those rocks. The water was still a bit high and a little stained. As long as the water temp stays below 70 I will probably fish that area for a while. Want get back up there for a couple of weeks. Have a cookout with some flyfishing buddies up at the Hiwassee in Reliance, TN tomorrow then a week in Montana, you know I'm counting down the days for that trip!!

FordHunter

It is tough wading for sure. I stumbled around most of the time on those rocks. The water was still a bit high and a little stained. As long as the water temp stays below 70 I will probably fish that area for a while. Want get back up there for a couple of weeks. Have a cookout with some flyfishing buddies up at the Hiwassee in Reliance, TN tomorrow then a week in Montana, you know I'm counting down the days for that trip!!

Typically the upper toccoa will hit the critical water temps (68 degrees) in the next week or so. Then there will be a couple of weeks that fishing in the early AM is key. Come the end of June the water is to warm to keep fishing. I will curb fishing the Toccoa and focus elsewhere so I do not stress/kill the fish.