New WMA - Gaither WMA

Christian hughey

My 9 year old is going on the adult child hunt.
Happy to see these young ones bein raised right makes me feel like they might have a chance. Took my boy out to big lazer youth hunt this past week and he took home his first. Nice to see his hard work in the woods and on the range finally pay off. This time of year is an awesome time to take a child and give them an opportunity before everyone blows up the woods and gets the deer on the defense. Just watch for snakes. I always make mine walk right on my heels to prevent him wondering across one.

treadwell

Good morning folks. I'm pretty sure I overlooked it, spent 20 minutes looking, but I'm just gonna ask ya'll now. On a sign -in hunt, if I'm fortunate enough to kill a deer, do I need to take it somewhere to have it registered/weighted/whatever, or just mark it on my kill log? Thanks in advance. Hunting the first hunt this weekend.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Just saw this thread. I got selected for the first hunt starting tomorrow. If anyone is hunting alone feel free to send me a pm and we can swap numbers. Maybe help each other drag or something.

Christian hughey

I'm interested to hear from someone how the bow hunt went. I missed it. Checked the trail cam on our property and there is a biiiiig buck chilling, and fighting on cam. So I have been a sitting duck this year and haven't done the moving from property to property that I normally do. Gaither is in a good area and if the pressure has been minimal, with good weather I see it being a good year. I have seen a ton of smaller bucks on there feet and a couple that was hard to resist. Good luck out there

BBond

All hunts on Gaither are Sign-in hunts and therefore all deer will need to be Game Checked by the hunter.
Good Luck
Bobby

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Anyone have any luck today. I heard several shots this evening but only saw part of a deer while climbing down.

tonyrittenhouse

Just got home from the hunt and was really disappointed. First off we were told the closest camping would be Charlie Elliot which is fine it is only a couple of miles away. Since we had never been to Charlie Elliot we road down a week before the hunt and found the camping area. So, we left the day before the hunt on Gaither and arrived before daylight Thursday morning at the campground only to find it was full. There was a hunt going on at Charlie Elliot the same time the Gaither hunt was going on. We did manage to find small enough place to put our tent but man we were tight against other people. I scouted all day Thursday and did find some good rubs but I also found two wooden tree stands that have been there for a while and a metal ladder stand. Also found some bright eyes in different places that looked to be a couple of years old. I talked to a guy that lives across the road from the wma he was out walking his dog just to see if he could give me any ideas were he had seen deer. He told me that until this year after they made it a wma that the property was pretty well open to everybody to hunt. Well, I got my stand up Thursday evening. I came back Friday and set through the rain at 10.30 a.m. I looked to my left and saw a deer move through a small clearing and disappear . I set in my stand from 6 a.m. till dark. When I came out the game warden was pulled in behind me and checked my license. I told him I appreciated him checking me and doing his job. He said the only deer that he saw that had came off the area that day was a small six point. I came back Saturday and was in my stand at 6 a.m. again at 10:38 a.m. I saw a deer move through the same clearing as the day before. This time I was ready and shot it. It was a big doe she probably dressed 100 pounds. I pulled her close to the road and dressed her. I came back at 2 p.m. and sat till dark. This morning I moved about 100 yards on down the holler I was hunting to another tree that I had picked as my second choice. I hunted till 1 p.m. and came out without seeing anything. My wife and I were packing our tent up at Charlie Elliot when a different warden stopped and talked to us and ask how the hunt went. I told him I did not think Gaither was what they made out to be. He said he agreed. He said they are deer on the place but not the size and numbers like it had been made out to be. He also said the county had a affidavit with them years ago to prosecute anybody for trespassing. But county officials would turn around and give some county workers permission to go hunt. I will say this to anyone else that has got drawn. Don't get your expectations up to high. This place has been hunted expect it to be like any other public hunting for the area. If I had known what it was like I would not have wasted my rejection points. I don't plan on going back. But, at least I got to hunt for 3 days instead of work.

Last edited:

treadwell

Shot a 17" 8 pt Friday evening. Saw 3 other small bucks Sat morning and a doe. To thick to get a shot at the doe. My buddy wanted to move to another spot at noon Sat. He had already passed two small 8 pts. I had a 6 pt walk under me at 2:30, sounded like it got killed 10 minutes later. No shots heard anywhere within hearing after that. He had a buck chase a doe by him at 2;00 pm. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I killed a doe Sunday morning but wasn't really impressed for the amount of points I used

BASS1FUN

I wasn’t impressed either, I scouted it and had cameras out for 2 weeks unfortunately 2 (Cuddeback) stopped working after a few days but 1 was still going but all the bucks were scrub bucks except 1 decent 6pt so I didn’t bother bow hunting it

tbrown913

I hunt family land that borders the wma. The new road they put in really screwed up travel patterns since they just laid trees over and didn't make any piles or cut them up. There were a ton of shots from one group, I would say at least 8 shots from the same rifle(pretty unique sound and was probably 500 yards away from me) between Saturday and Sunday. The roads I normally hunt and see a bunch of deer on I only saw 3 in 3 hunts.

cj5

On gaithers side, all this property, these people drive past all of it to my boundary, I’m lost, are they scared of the woods?