Newbie Flies

Corey

I have only been tying for about 6 months on and off
here are a few I tied, still have alot to learn.

Attachments

• DR Fly 3n.JPG
    DR Fly 3n.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 221
  • Dry Fly2.JPG
    Dry Fly2.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Mayfly3.JPG
    Mayfly3.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 221

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Look'n good for just 6 months,congrats!!!!!

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Great Job. :cool: You might want to tie a few of those BWO para's with a black post also. You can see them better on the water as silhouettes when the light is fading fast. With my eye sight getting worse, I find it really helps in the sizes that I tie such as 22 and smaller BWO's. When the light only allows just a refection of the sky on the water, the surface appears almost like a mirror. Thats when the black post really helps. The white post is almost impossible for me to see. But man, you are doing great! I wish my first attempts looked anything close to that. Not that mine are that much better now.:huh:

Corey

Thanks guys, I will give that Black post BWO a try..Im going up to
the Tuck 2nd weekend in NOV so im stocking up on BWO's and WB's.

I also got a hot tip from a local that im working on ;)

Corey

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Tie ya up some Y2Ks to take with ya.

Attachments

• Y2K.jpg
    Y2K.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 216

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
I good variation on the WB that I tie is a tri color peacock herl.

Tail - Olive, brown, black maribu with flash tinsil.
Body - Peacock herl (multiple strands to build bulk) wrapped around thread as you move forward to strenghten it.
Rib - Brown hackle palmered through body.
Collar - Black hackle or if you use a good brown saddle hackle it will often have enough black at the quill base to form the black collar.
Bead head in gold or Black.
Thread - Black

I tie this in weighted for deeper areas and unweighted for fishing shallow riffs.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I good variation on the WB that I tie is a tri color peacock herl.

Tail - Olive, brown, black maribu with flash tinsil.
Body - Peacock herl (multiple strands to build bulk) wrapped around thread as you move forward to strenghten it.
Rib - Brown hackle palmered through body.
Collar - Black hackle or if you use a good brown saddle hackle it will often have enough black at the quill base to form the black collar.
Bead head in gold or Black.
Thread - Black

I tie this in weighted for deeper areas and unweighted for fishing shallow riffs.

Sounds great. Do you use lead wraps for weight,or does the bead give you enough?

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Lead and bead so it doesnt drift Head down, and is a little more balanced.

For the unweighted, I use a plastic bead, available at walmart.

bonedog

Very nice! They look like real fish catchers to me. I second Paymaster, Y2K's are an easy tie and they flat catch fish.
bd

anglerEd

Lookin good.

luv2drum

Those are nice.:banana: The guy at Nature's Tackle Box has just about convinced me to start tying my own flies. He guided me through a wooly booger. :hair: As soon as I have some extra cash I probably will get a small set up and give it a whirl. Any tips on what vises are better or worse?:huh:

bhamby

looking good!!!!

murph where were ya yesterday i brought a fist full of ducks by st.1 was gonna let ya puck you some feathers to tie with we need to get together tie a few for our trip in may