Newbie questions

Jacobp

Hey everyone so I’m born and raised here and have done a good bit of fishing and a little trapping but never been big on hunting until this year I was really getting ready for trapping season in December and noticed some deer sign where I trap (small family plot) set out some corn and mineral and a trail camera just to see and ever since I saw them coming in I’ve been hooked I have a Barnett jackal crossbow that I’m going to replace the string/cables on and the scope I’ve been trying to stay out of the woods as much as possible and when I do I use scent blocker/odor eliminator but any clothing suggestions? (I’ve been eyeing scentloks stuff but not sure if it’s worth the money) I’ll be stand hunting. Any just over all advice or recommendations?

Mark K

Banned
If you were trapping them you were on a 24hr check and the deer were there. They’ll still be there with you hunting or checking cameras. Just hunt the wind. Wear clothes that will keep you cool when it’s hot and clothes that will keep you warm when it’s cold. As stated...hunt the wind.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
As others have said hunt when u think the wind is blowing from the deer to u and then they will come from the other direction lol , I’ve never took to much stock in hunting clothes , definitely want ever spend a fortune on any and I kill my share and as mark said my most productive spot is a area that gets plenty of traffic, from tractors, 4 wheelers and me , but I don’t go stomping around in there bedding areas , even during the season !

Joe Brandon

You can were whatever you want. Jeans and a bright red t shirt that stinks to high heaven. If your downwind they won't smell you, if your not they will dosent matter what you do or wear. Sometimes your the fly sometimes your the windshield. Save your money on things that matter ie weapons, tree-stands, seats, ammo, range time, some warm clothes.

shdw633

Practice with that crossbow...practice, practice, practice. From the ground and in the stand so that when your opportunity does come you don't miss or make a bad shot on the deer.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You can were whatever you want. Jeans and a bright red t shirt that stinks to high heaven. If your downwind they won't smell you, if your not they will dosent matter what you do or wear. Sometimes your the fly sometimes your the windshield. Save your money on things that matter ie weapons, tree-stands, seats, ammo, range time, some warm clothes.

Pay close attention to this man. ^

Bullochcountyhunter

As others have said, spend time and money on the main things. My father killed a 195 inch buck sitting on a white five gallon bucket eating boiled peanuts after working cows all day...maybe the cow splat was his cover sent lol wearing blue jeans and a ex army jacket