Next Season's Plots

davidhelmly

Am I late to the party? I'm already coming up with food plot plans this year. Took my soil samples last week and got my results yesterday and BOY do those pH's look mighty fine. I'll be planting around 6 acres of soybeans in 3 plots and sunn hemp in a smaller sandier plot in hopes of building some OM. Lets get this party started!
Not late at all deerbuster, if you’ve got your PH where it needs to be you’re ahead of the game!! Is your deer population high enough that you will have to fence your beans to get them started? Keep us updated on your sun hemp, I’m thinking about planting some in a mix this spring too. A member on another forum has been having really good luck with this mix so I’m going to plant some acres in a similar mix this year,

sunn hemp-8.3 lbs/acre
buckwheat-4 "
cowpeas -16"
soybeans-8"
sunflower-1 "

Last edited:

uturn

Got me pumped!!

Trying to figure out the coming year and a couple members to join the fray with me!!

But, ALWAYS thinkin Whitetail...you know!!!!

My place is still... FLOODED so, I'm thinking for the most part it will be like starting anew!! As in with everything being under water that most all of my previous soil massaging will be washed away...?

And, obviously I will not be able to start work until when and or if things dry out! I know there are probably some areas that I've never manicured that I could look to find that may not be underwater and I could again possibility start anew but?

Any thoughts to share Gang!??!! PS I'm in the Southern Zone!

Thanks,

Scott

GeorgeShu

My plans as of today are to plant a mix of grain sorghum, buckwheat, Alyce clover and sunflowers in my plots for the summer. Also thinking about throwing in some flower seeds of various kinds to attract pollinators and add some eye candy too boot.
Timing will vary as to planting dates. Plots with weak annual clover stands planted first, plots with good clover stands will get planted as the clovers mature and seed.
All will be seeded with the throw and mow, no till method.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I found out yesterday that 90 acres of the 160 we lease is going into soybeans this year. Unfortunately there is a lot of road frontage on this piece so that creates problems in itself, but we are excited for the prospect of additional food available to the local herd.

Jim Boyd

Spent about 4 hours on tractor today on a tract we have not planted prior.

Think I can plant about 6 acres there.

Gonna lime asap.

Good luck all....

Buckstop

Here lately it has been moist to say the least.
But just 10 weeks ago we were wanting rain for our dusty food plots. ::;
So here we are now getting our October rain. The lord answered our rain prayers, just on his schedule not ours.
I have spent countless days sitting there in windy conditions over the last few decades. I honestly don't think I've ever even seen a single deer in all those hours. I hunted three days last week. Two days and one morning were windy. I didn't see a single deer the whole time. The last afternoon the wind stopped, and I saw eight deer that one evening. I've gotten to the point I don't even want to hunt if the wind is blowing.
Not late at all deerbuster, if you’ve got your PH where it needs to be you’re ahead of the game!! Is your deer population high enough that you will have to fence your beans to get them started? Keep us updated on your sun hemp, I’m thinking about planting some in a mix this spring too. A member on another forum has been having really good luck with this mix so I’m going to plant some acres in a similar mix this year,

sunn hemp-8.3 lbs/acre
buckwheat-4 "
cowpeas -16"
soybeans-8"
sunflower-1 "

We planted a similar mixture the last two years minus the beans n sunflower. Very happy with it. First year, the sunn hemp use was marginal but second year was heavy. Between the buckwheat jumping up at emergence and the sunn hemp’s production it gave the peas chance. They lasted till tye fall plots went in. Plots were .5 to 2 ac. Would love to grow soybeans but it just aint happening in our smallish plots.

deerbuster

sunn hemp-8.3 lbs/acre
buckwheat-4 "
cowpeas -16"
soybeans-8"
sunflower-1 "

We've got a moderate to high density of deer. The three plots that'll be in soybeans are 1.25, 2.5, and 2.5 roughly. The plot that's 1.25 acres gets hit pretty hard, with it being the first time being in beans. I imagine this coming spring the deer will hit it harder, but to answer your question I will not be fencing it.

GAbuckhunter88

I’m there with you, just pulled soil samples on all existing plots that I created or expanded and limed last year to make sure they are good. Working this weekend on marking the areas I’m clearing for new plots so hopefully during February I can get the dozer out there and get them all cleared. Planning on liming everything first of March before turkey season gets here.

Plan as of now is to add 2-3 more acres this year on my 500 acres giving me 5-6 total. Then creating about two acres on my 90 acres that currently is completely wooded with no plots on it. It’s goinh to be a fun and busy summer.