Next Season's Plots

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
i actually killed everything with glysophate and overseeded.I haven,t no tilled in several years.I fert/limed in late Sept then just overseeded.Got that tip from GeorgeShu.I don,t drive on my plots except to spray/fert/lime amd pick up a deer

SRShunter

This intrigues me and I guess this is better for the soil, and plus you don't get as many weeds brought back up to the surface to have a total breakout of them. Heck I just got a tractor and really wanna tear the ground up...lol

SRShunter

You just spray kill everything wait a week or so then broadcast your seed and walk away??? Pray for some rain

doomtrpr_z71

I'm thinking about mine for sure, just a little different from the plots most do on here. Plus I've got a new to me 4 row strip till setup to break in.

uturn

We try and keep the pressure on our lease as low as possible and don’t do any riding around so I’m really looking forward to be able to look at all of our plots to see how they look and make a plan.
Also there’s a chance we may pick up some more property so that has my wheels turning too.
We didn’t turn any dirt this year, just killed and overseeded a few plots and they looked great a few months back but want to see them again also.
In the future I’m going to try and plow as little as possible and have been salivating over a minimal till seeder for a couple of years, I broke down and ordered one a few weeks ago so I can’t wait for it to get here. I’m hoping it will significantly cut down on planting time, best case scenario it will be a one step process!

Come on now! We want to see pictures of your new toy!!!

Most of my lease has been..FLOODED, so I am spinning thinking of where to go and what to do with it when and if I ever dry out! I guess the one positive I can do twice the work where not flooded! Really digging the no till idea and wanting to learn more!!

Congratulations on your upgrade David...like a kid in a candy store I'm sure!!

treemanjohn

Banned
You just spray kill everything wait a week or so then broadcast your seed and walk away??? Pray for some rain

If you're breaking ground you'll have to spray two or three times to do it right. Breaking ground opens up millions of dormant seeds in the seed bank. They just hang out waiting for light and some species can lay for 10 years

To be as weed free as possible. Spray, let it die, turn the ground and wait for a few weeks, spray anything that has germinated, wait a week and if you're clear then seed. If not spray again and wait

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I have an old JD grain drill. It's not No-Till but helps save alot of seed and plants alot of different size seed. Sometimes you can still find one at an auction. Works great for me.

davidhelmly

Come on now! We want to see pictures of your new toy!!!

Most of my lease has been..FLOODED, so I am spinning thinking of where to go and what to do with it when and if I ever dry out! I guess the one positive I can do twice the work where not flooded! Really digging the no till idea and wanting to learn more!!

Congratulations on your upgrade David...like a kid in a candy store I'm sure!!

No pictures yet Scott, I hope to have it in a month or so but yes I'm a little excited!! :banana::banana::banana:

David - What planter did you decide on?

TC, I knew I wanted a Woods for the fact that I could plant different sized seeds at different depths in one pass but I studied long and hard whether to get the PSS or the FPS and decided on the FPS84.

https://www.woodsequipment.com/productDetails.aspx?id=471

treemanjohn

Banned
If you think about this from an ecological standpoint seeds will work themselves into the ground over time. There's a tremendous amount of overthinking in a lot of deer forums. If you are looking for a near 100% germination like a farmer wood you really have to pay attention to your methods. If you're throwing clover and you are 50% successful it will still be as thick is carpet because of the volume and size of the seed

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If you think about this from an ecological standpoint seeds will work themselves into the ground over time. There's a tremendous amount of overthinking in a lot of deer forums. If you are looking for a near 100% germination like a farmer wood you really have to pay attention to your methods. If you're throwing clover and you are 50% successful it will still be as thick is carpet because of the volume and size of the seed
You have to still only plant the recommended lbs per acre. I walked my 3 1/2 acres 3 times so as to not have bald/ lightly seeded areas and be to heavy in others.

champ

David, I too have gone pretty much to a no till system. The no till drill idea is appealing but can not justify the cost of purchase for my small acreage of plots. My preferred method of seeding has been throw and mow and so far it has worked out just fine.
I try to take advantage of self reseeding plants like the annual clovers and I think I get some reseeding from letting my wheat and rye grow to maturity. They do drop some seed and I think some of it does come back.
In a pinch I could always run the harrow lightly over the plot to cover seed but so far have resisted even doing that.
Keep us posted about your new seeder, show us some pics if you would. Would love to see it and your results too.
Many ways to skin a cat......Lol!

Agri-Fab makes or used to make a small 'Spiker-Seeder' that works great behind an ATV on those small hard to get into food plots. I liked the one so good, that I bought another one on CL and made up a bracket so I can pull them in tandem and increase coverage. As long as you spray, kill, and mow prior to "drilling" with it, the results are pretty impressive. I too have the itch and have begun planning for sun-hemp, peanuts, and sun flower. Little experiment this year. Topping it off by setting out a bunch of young chestnut saplings this year too.

SRShunter

Agri-Fab makes or used to make a small 'Spiker-Seeder' that works great behind an ATV on those small hard to get into food plots. I liked the one so good, that I bought another one on CL and made up a bracket so I can pull them in tandem and increase coverage. As long as you spray, kill, and mow prior to "drilling" with it, the results are pretty impressive. I too have the itch and have begun planning for sun-hemp, peanuts, and sun flower. Little experiment this year. Topping it off by setting out a bunch of young chestnut saplings this year too.
Way ahead of yall on the tree plantings or at least I think I am. I've planted all kinds of hard and soft mast trees. Pretty sure all the trees I planted will out draw any property around me once they start to produce it's a foodplot that takes forever to start working and drawing them, but its definitely a perennial and will out last me? tired of seeing pine trees and I'm not in the business for them. Hate seeing oak hammocks destroyed then replanted with pines?

tbrown913

I'm thinking about just slinging some clover seed out on a couple roads and logging decks where I hunt this weekend. I'm not allowed to do anything more and I hate it! I think I'm going to try and get permission from the old man across the street from our family land to plant his 2 fields this year. I just have never been the only person hunting there. He let everyone who asked hunt his 10 acres, and at one point I know there were at least 8 people with pernission.

ddavis1120

TC, I knew I wanted a Woods for the fact that I could plant different sized seeds at different depths in one pass but I studied long and hard whether to get the PSS or the FPS and decided on the FPS84.

https://www.woodsequipment.com/productDetails.aspx?id=471

I'm jealous! Would love to see how it works; come on over across the creek and I'm sure I can find you a spot to try it out on.

I'm actually scared to see it as I might have to keep up with the Jones' and buy one. I've looked at them and the small Kascos before but they're not cheap and we're talking deer food plots. My wife is very forgiving but I'm not sure she is THAT forgiving!

davidhelmly

I'm jealous! Would love to see how it works; come on over across the creek and I'm sure I can find you a spot to try it out on.

I'm actually scared to see it as I might have to keep up with the Jones' and buy one. I've looked at them and the small Kascos before but they're not cheap and we're talking deer food plots. My wife is very forgiving but I'm not sure she is THAT forgiving!
Lol I understand Derek, I really wanted a true no-till but they were 2-3X the price of the Woods!

deerbuster

Am I late to the party? I'm already coming up with food plot plans this year. Took my soil samples last week and got my results yesterday and BOY do those pH's look mighty fine. I'll be planting around 6 acres of soybeans in 3 plots and sunn hemp in a smaller sandier plot in hopes of building some OM. Lets get this party started!